Waxing bottle tops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I'm putting down a few Belgians in champagne bottles and thought a coloured wax top would look kinda cool.

Can you use cheese wax? I see lots of the US sites use crayons and glue sticks, I'll rather not go to all that hassle.

So has anyone actually done this?

Brewcraft has it.
Bottle Seal Wax Beads help you achieve a tough, moisture-resistant coating that preserves freshness, flavor and fragrance in your wines, or beers, with these blends of FDA approved waxes with FD&C approved colors. We recommend melting the beads in soup cans; no mess to clean up off of pots, and any unused portion may be left in the can for remelting at a later time. You can dip the bottle in the wax for a more rustic look, or use a small measuring cup or spoon if you want the wax in a specific location. A one lb. bag of beads is good for approximately 65 bottles.
Nev
Looks like thats the USA brewcraft ...

Closer to home : A specially formulated wax blend for ease of application on wine, oil, vinegar or general bottles. Offering a soft sheen finish and a good seal this bottle sealing wax is used to seal, decorate and provide a tamper proof seal for containers. Having a relatively low melt point the sealing wax allows application at around 80 degrees C. This sealing wax is easily removed by peeling away like plastic without creating chips and breakage like harder waxes. Standard colours are: Red, Black, Navy, Green, Purple, Burgundy.
Metallic Colours: Silver, Gold and Bronze. Special colours also available.
This bottle sealing wax is non-toxic and is available in 600 gram blocks. One 600 gram block will do 100 wine bottles dipping once. Instructions for use are on the container.

Sounds fun. Always looking for new ways to use beeswax, so this might be the go.

A very mellow relaxing informative short clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NVcSZxdVu0

It's pretty.... but is it only really useful when you don't have another way of actually sealing the bottles? Say, when you've got a bunch of screw tops and want to seal them?

Bees wax, I think, would be a pretty good material - it smells lovely (every cheese maker ought to cover their cheeses in it, it goes well with the bitter cheesy tang). And I'm pretty sure it would have some natural anti-bacterial properties. (Though it's not as good as propolis, which bees use to seal up gaps and cover up dead creatures which get into the hive).

Surely it wouldn't matter weather it was a crayon or a couple of candles from a cheap shop would it? Or use a cheap candle, then use a crayon for colour? or a candle and some food colouring for colour?

I'd love to have a stamp aswell with the brewery logo or just my initials. This would really finish the product!

I've done it a few times now using a mix of approx 50/50 of crayons & hot glue sticks. Works well.

Hot glue sticks? Does it make it tougher to open. Ive used Hot glue sticks before to do models. Its pretty tough stuff.

Gryphon Brewing said:
Closer to home : A specially formulated wax blend for ease of application on wine, oil, vinegar or general bottles. Offering a soft sheen finish and a good seal this bottle sealing wax is used to seal, decorate and provide a tamper proof seal for containers. Having a relatively low melt point the sealing wax allows application at around 80 degrees C. This sealing wax is easily removed by peeling away like plastic without creating chips and breakage like harder waxes. Standard colours are: Red, Black, Navy, Green, Purple, Burgundy.
Metallic Colours: Silver, Gold and Bronze. Special colours also available.
This bottle sealing wax is non-toxic and is available in 600 gram blocks. One 600 gram block will do 100 wine bottles dipping once. Instructions for use are on the container.
That sounds like the go Nev, I'll email them to get some prices.

Batz

Batz said:
That sounds like the go Nev, I'll email them to get some prices.

Batz
I have bought wax from Australian wax co before. I think prices were about $15 for a 500gm block. Last time I went to order I was advised that they had a $50 purchase minimum despite them previously selling me one or two blocks at a time.

So glad this popped up today. I have a cermanic tawny port bottle from my old mans Vietnam Vets commemorative set and the last IPA I put in didnt carbonate because the cork didnt seal right ( had 3 uses + the port use ) Now i have researched some tappered corks for this and it would be a great addition to use a wax/crayon mix to seal it up. :D

I used the black wax from Cheese Links.

$15 bucks for a kilo and probably only used 20-30g per bottle, so a kilo will take a long time to get though.

I've only opened 1 bottle so far, but it worked alright. I had to dig the wax off the edge of the crown seal and then used a bottle opener. The wax was too soft to peel off but that didn't make much of an issue, Except for a few crumbs all the wax stayed stuck to either the bottle or the cap.

For reusing the wax my missus had the great idea of pouring the hot wax into silicon muffin moulds. The wax popped straight out once it was cool.

Wax can be hard to clean off stuff - you can usually get it off metal and stainless steel though it can get right in the fiddly corners. We pour our wax into empty cardboard milk cartons and leave it for a day; when done just tear the cartoons apart and you have a neat block of wax.

OK so I'm keen on this, Saison almost ready to keg and bottle. I scored this blue cheese wax, I keep you posted.

Batz

002.JPG

I have bought from the Australian wax co. before. $50 minimum order too, so bought 3 blocks. Still going through them but I get good results. Depending on the consistency of the wax you may want to double dip. Dip once in the wax, then in some cool water to set the wax, allow to dry then repeat.

uploadfromtaptalk1391508480664.jpg

So I bottled my Sasion today and had a go at waxing the caps. It seems to have worked OK, I did use cheese wax and that does seem a little soft (it's been 45mins or so).

I expect it will harden a little over time, I'll try taking some off tomorrow to see how that goes. I hope it's not a pain to remove, wax in your beer and stuff like that :p Still it does looks cool and that was the idea.

Batz

trial 001.JPG

Latest posts

Back