Watering Can To Sparge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenjak

Reaction score
Would there be any problems with using a watering can to sparge with? Would the rate of water coming out still be too strong and channel the grain?

Prost!

BGL

You may have more of an issue with heat loss transferring from HLT to watering can, then into mash tun.

I dont see an issue with using it other than the above, and assuming it wont leach a plastic taste (if plastic).

I can see the point on heat loss. Maybe if i use the old foam camp mats to insulate the can...then maybe that is more trouble than it is worth. Maybe i should get a march pump...

You may have more of an issue with heat loss transferring from HLT to watering can, then into mash tun.

I dont see an issue with using it other than the above, and assuming it wont leach a plastic taste (if plastic).

One way to find out BGL. Someone on here has a pic of a shower head for their sparge.

It was me razz but don't forget that I have a HERMES setup & the wort is in constant recirculation with no heat loss whatsoever.
All you need do with a gravity system (If batch sparging) is to let the sparge water hit the side of the mash tun until the required amount of liquor is added, give the mash a thorough stir, wait for 10, recirculate, then add to kettle.
For fly sparging I used a home-made sparging tool that sat just under the grain bed. Will post a pic if there is any interest?

TP :beer:

Mash_Recirculation.JPG

The innovations of homebrewers never cease to amaze! Looks great.

Interesting dookickies and dongles there. I just use a foil BBQ drip tray with a few hundred fork holes in it.

Interesting dookickies and dongles there. I just use a foil BBQ drip tray with a few hundred fork holes in it.

So simple yet so effective. I think I shall be copying this for my first AG this weekend - Cheers POMO

Back