Water Softener Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nedelz

Reaction score
hi guys,
Living in Adelaide (with very bad mains water), I currently run my water through a filter before I use it in any stage of the brewing process. Lately I have been considering using a water softener for my lagers, and pilsners. Because as I understand Adelaide has very hard water - although I am happy to be corrected. I was wondering if anyone else out there had already been through this process, and would either recommend either getting one or not worring about it.

I have done a quick search of the forum and didn't come across much, but may not have been thorough enough.

Thanks.

Water softeners are generally bad for brewing - from what I understand they replace calcium and magnesium with sodium ions. A little bit of sodium is OK but too much is not. Also, your yeast need some calcium to function properly so removing it all isn't desirable.

There are plenty of people in Adelaide who brew good beer with Adelaide water. Do a search on Adelaide water profiles (it's been posted a bunch of times) to find out exactly how hard the water is - it mightn't be as bad as you think. You'll probably find, with filtering, it will be fine for most beer styles. You can always dilute it with some spring or RO water if it's too hard for some of the very pale styles. The best way to find out is to brew yourself a Pilsner, check your mash pH and see if the beer turns out tasting OK. Don't worry about your water unless you are sure you have a problem with it.

Chemical water softeners replace one Ion with another
Say you have a lot of Carbonate, adding Calcium Sulphate could precipitate the Carbonate and the Calcium as Calcium Carbonate (Chalk), but you now have all those Sulphate Ions.

Zeolite Ion exchange column's can remove some Ions but not all, they are expensive and a pain to regenerate.

I guess it's no surprise that the biggest Reverse Osmoses water treatment plant in the southern hemisphere is located at Coopers Brewery.

Do you have a typical analysis report for your local water? If you have or can get one that would help decide what the best course of action to prepare your water would be. Tho boiling it the day before and allowing to cool would do no harm.

If you can afford one a good domestic Ro-Mo would give the purest water reasonably available.

MHB

get a rain water tank!

easy.

cheers

hi guys,
Living in Adelaide (with very bad mains water), I currently run my water through a filter before I use it in any stage of the brewing process. Lately I have been considering using a water softener for my lagers, and pilsners. Because as I understand Adelaide has very hard water - although I am happy to be corrected. I was wondering if anyone else out there had already been through this process, and would either recommend either getting one or not worring about it.

I have done a quick search of the forum and didn't come across much, but may not have been thorough enough.

Thanks.

I always use rain water here in the Barossa. BTW can any one tell me the pro's & con's of using R.O water? :unsure: I have thought about getting some from work for a trial, not that I have any known pronblems at the moment with my rainwater.

BYB

RO water gives you a blank slate to start with - build any water profile you like. You will need to add some salts however - RO on it's own won't provide the right environment for your yeast.

great! thanks for the replies fallas

After reading Palmer(with a little more understanding) and your posts, it seems to me that whilst it removes all the "water hardners" it replaces these with too much sodium.

While i am happy that i save money, i have to come to terms that my lagers and pilsners will not quite be to "style"
Although i will try the method goatherder suggested.

Thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Back