Water Quality Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipster

Reaction score
Hi there,

Done my first batch with spring water a while ago and the yeast picked up nicely with provided quantity. Now I'm brewing with local tap water and it seems that the fermentation in wart is not going so good. The local water is actually barely drinkable because of high amount of chlorine in it, so I'm suspecting the chlorine to be killing some of the yeast individuals. Just done 2 batches with cooper's kits and had trouble getting the airlock to make bubbles.. The fermentation occurs in the end but..

On my last batch, cooper's wheat beer kit, I have added a little bit more yeast of same nature when have done the mix and it seems to be fermenting real nice. Good bubbles every 20/25 sec.

So here is my question: Regarding that the water I use is rich in chlorine, shall I use more yeast when I mix ingredients, is that a good idea, or maybe filter the water?

z.

I have a good 2 canister water filter that i use for most of the water in my brews and it was a wise investment Zero chlorine in the water and no problems with the yeast as you have described.

Filter was initially expensive but i believe it has been worth it seeing the amount of water that has passed through it.

Will have paid itself off if you keep buying spring water which is essentially tap water that has been filtered through a similar system ( albeit a much larger one )

I have a good 2 canister water filter that i use for most of the water in my brews and it was a wise investment Zero chlorine in the water and no problems with the yeast as you have described.

Filter was initially expensive but i believe it has been worth it seeing the amount of water that has passed through it.

Will have paid itself off if you keep buying spring water which is essentially tap water that has been filtered through a similar system ( albeit a much larger one )
brocky .. where did you get yours?? how much was it???

The airlock isn't a scientific instrument, its not a good indication of yeast health.

Chlorine is very volatile and easy get rid of, so if you want to remove it you can do a few things like boil it, let it stand overnight, or add campden tabs.

Bought my filter at reece plumbing supplies was about $230 it came with a 1 micron particle filter and a carbon block filter.

Filter cartridges are about $30 each. You can get a variety of particulate filters i think down to 0.1 micron has been installed about 2 years and has done many brews and the water is still excellent quality.

I have added a little bit more yeast

doesnt really awnser the question, but ditch the kit yeast mate.. invest in some quality yeast to suit your style.. a few questions.

what temps are you fermenting at?

what are your ferment volumes?

are you adding anything else or is it KnK?

what is your gravity readings?

here is a link to a pitching calculator which is widely regarded as being the ducks guts.

>what temps are you fermenting at?

It variates between 16c and 22c, it the stove is going or not

>what are your ferment volumes?

do you mean the volume of yeast? sorry that's a bit technical, not sure what to answer..

>are you adding anything else or is it KnK?

Not till then, but been disappointed with results from basic can so I will use finishing hops on the next batch

>what is your gravity readings?

Well i usually bottle at 1010..

The 2 batches I made with that local water are flat as... very little bubbles after 2 weeks... it MUST be the chlorine.. too much of it.. I will boil the water to get rid of chlorine next time.

Too much chlorine may result in band-aid flavours but I'm pretty sure if the yeast is healthy enough to ferment in that water, it will also be healthy enough to carbonate the beer.

How are you priming and how warm are you storing the bottles?

Not warm at all... the house is basically like a hunter's cabin in the Canadian forest. Will use boiled water to get rid of chlorine and lager yeast from now on.

Where abouts are you from Zipster? Someone nearby might be able to say whether they have had similar problems, and if so, how they fixed them.

Also i'd probably avoid lager yeast unless you have temp control...

nsw highlands, 100km south west from goulburn, location braidwood

no temp control here just have wood stove and it's warm from 530pm till about 2am... why what's the catch with lager yeast and temp control, my pills turned out real nice and been fermenting between 22c and 16c

Not warm at all... the house is basically like a hunter's cabin in the Canadian forest. Will use boiled water to get rid of chlorine and lager yeast from now on.

If the house is too cold, it explains why the bottles are not carbonating. By all means get rid of the chlorine but you should try and store the bottles around 18 degrees or else wait longer.

Back