Water Level Sensors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just my simple waterlevelsensor:

waterlevelsensor.jpg

Thanks for everyone posting so much useful information!

I hadn't (for some reason) ever thought about having adjustable conductance probes, and that's probably the simplest design I could get working easily. In fact, having multiple probes could mean that before brewing, I could set low volume levels in my HLT for mash in and each sparge stage (for batch sparging). As so many people have pointed out, the analog reading of how much in the tank is immaterial.

I'll post back if/when I get something up and running...

Next part of the project...

What do people use for water solenoid valves?

Most of the ones I've seen are slave types which require pressure (more than gravity feed) to operate correctly.

Any experience on what and where to get them?

Most of the ones I've seen are slave types which require pressure (more than gravity feed) to operate correctly.

:rolleyes: Yeh, that was going to be my next question, but I didn't want ask too much in the one post!

My earler level probes were little kits for $20ish from jaycar which I can't find at the moment but then upgraded to the ones mentioned earllier.

For valves I use standard 2 or three peice stainless valves and attach a wiper motor to the top. Positioning is then done using two proximity switches.

Cheers Derrick

the water solenoid valve Im using is one from a washing mashine.
magnetventil.JPG

one can get very cheap at ebay.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Lost this thread for a while being up in the big smoke for the past week I dug these circuits out of my notes for a simple level sensor without being to complicated. Ah oh! complications "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file".
Can anyone tell me why this occurs just trying to upload a couple of schematics. I had this happen with trying to upload recipes. Got me stuffed, enlighten me someone.

Cheers <_<

what about a remote site tube - with a ball floating in it - and a laser distance measurer pointed down the tube.

The laser does the measuring work and the tube with the ball keeps it away from the hot steamy wobbly bit, so it doesn't have to be an industrial unit and it doesn't have to deal with waves and splashes.

You'd get a readout that I'm sure some tech minded person could fudge into a control circuit

They use ultra sonics at work for standing tanks like HLT - working tanks like mash, lauter and kettle use flowmeters and simple empty/not empty sensors.

Both methods keep the instrument techs busy - they screw up frequently.

Surely today there would be a software solution... point a camera at a site tube with a bright orange ball floating on top - feed image into computer - write a bit of software that converts the position of the ball vs a scale, into a volume measurement - output into your brewing control software. If you could get all three vessels into the same camera shot.... thats all three volume measurements taken care of with the one bit of electronics and some code.

what about a remote site tube - with a ball floating in it - and a laser distance measurer pointed down the tube.

The laser does the measuring work and the tube with the ball keeps it away from the hot steamy wobbly bit, so it doesn't have to be an industrial unit and it doesn't have to deal with waves and splashes.

You'd get a readout that I'm sure some tech minded person could fudge into a control circuit

They use ultra sonics at work for standing tanks like HLT - working tanks like mash, lauter and kettle use flowmeters and simple empty/not empty sensors.

Both methods keep the instrument techs busy - they screw up frequently.

Exactly my thoughts the other night. I already have a tube to manually measure the water in the HLT so fitting ultrasonics to the top of the tube to measure a ball that is being floated up or down sounds like a great solution to me

Actually, it would be easy to get all three site tubes in the same camera shot - make them remote from the vessel. Small hoses convey liquid to remote site tubes mounted on the wall - camera pointed at the appropriate bit of wall. A $20 webcam would be good enough.

Lost this thread for a while being up in the big smoke for the past week I dug these circuits out of my notes for a simple level sensor without being to complicated. Ah oh! complications "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file".
Can anyone tell me why this occurs just trying to upload a couple of schematics. I had this happen with trying to upload recipes. Got me stuffed, enlighten me someone.

Cheers <_<

Thanks to Newguy I reformatted these and got them on, thanks Mark. Unfortunately I wrote an essay underneath on how these circuits worked but looks like I lost the lot.

I have used hundreds of these level relays in indistry and they work great. WOuld be perfect.

Use the metal of the HLT as the refference and raise or lower your probe to switch at your volume.

cheers

http://www.eqams.com.au/multitrode.htm

Yeah Tony I described how to set up the probe in my description of these circuits and adjustable for different levels. What I was trying to do was KIS without being stupid, with a little knowledge of electronics and a 40 watt soldering iron, ideal working circuitry for the "home" brewer, I see you have a handle on what I was getting at. When I get a bit of time I will back it up with some useful info for people who might be interested. I don't know what happened to the text below the graphics it just didn't show up. :unsure:

Cheers

Thanks for everyone posting so much useful information!

I hadn't (for some reason) ever thought about having adjustable conductance probes, and that's probably the simplest design I could get working easily. In fact, having multiple probes could mean that before brewing, I could set low volume levels in my HLT for mash in and each sparge stage (for batch sparging). As so many people have pointed out, the analog reading of how much in the tank is immaterial.

I'll post back if/when I get something up and running...

I find a multiple timer, controlling a solenoid valve for water into the tun more useful. I guess everyone has their own approach that's what make this forum interesting.

Reading all the complicated schemes then reading Zwickel and Tony's posts made me reminds of me of the Cult of Done Manifesto.

"9. People without dirty hands are wrong. Doing something makes you right."

http://www.ikiw.org/2009/03/04/the-cult-of-done-manifesto/

But there is no Stop Energy here.
If you think your scheme will work, try it and let us know!

prob would work it depends on the sensitivity of the pressure instrument i'd say.

Kirk, wonder if it can be calibrated to give volume????

Screwy

Latest posts

Back