Water down at bottling or keg time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RelaxedBrewer

Reaction score
I was thinking about the possibility of watering down a beer after fermentation.
This would be useful in a couple of situations.

I have a couple of yeasts that I use on different wheat beers (wyeast 3068 & 3944) and they always have a massive krausen. They can be a pain in the arse in my fermenters (standard plastic 30Lt barrels) as they usually start coming out of the airlock and I have to clean them up a fair bit. This got me thinking about making a slightly more concentrated beer that would take up less space in my fermenter. Then I could add water at bottling time.

The only problem I could think of was, the added water might add oxygen to the final brew. But if I boiled the water to sterilise it, it would also deoxygenate the water as well.

Is there something I am not thinking of? Has anyone tried anything similar?

RB

commercial breweries do this, and you have dealt with O2 & sanitisation issues by boiling the water, go for it

The problem with this plan is that higher gravity beer comes with issues of its own. Depending on the gravity of the concentrated wort etc.

Why not just install a blow-off tube?

op said 'slightly more concentrated beer' so yes within reason it wont be a problem unless trying to ferment too high gravity wort

Latest posts

Back