Washing & storing yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crouch

Reaction score
So I'm keen to try washing and keeping some yeast - nothing special, just some US-05, I realise that its more common to do this with a 'better' yeast but for the sake of learning with something 'simple', this is what I've got on hand.

I washing it in some 500ml jars and from what I've seen (vids on youtube, forum posts etc) after 2-3 washes people seem to store them in the fridge in the same jars.

My questions are this:

1 - how long can yeast be stored for being being used
2 - how many times would you 're-use' a yeast
3 - any point in storing yeast in these cool little Yeast Tubes I found on the FullPint website

1 I've used after up to a month with no noticeable I'll effect

2 as many as you are happy with

3 store a pitchable amount over the short term(jars), if you get into freezing or slants, start to look at tubes.

Do you have a stir plate?

Have you read through the "Rinsing yeast in pictures" thread? Plenty of helpful info there on this subject mate,

Cheers

Yob said:
1 I've used after up to a month with no noticeable I'll effect

2 as many as you are happy with

3 store a pitchable amount over the short term(jars), if you get into freezing or slants, start to look at tubes.

Do you have a stir plate?

Have you read through the "Rinsing yeast in pictures" thread? Plenty of helpful info there on this subject mate,

Cheers
I have a stir plate and have only ever made 1 starter with it before.

I understand the concept of washing yeast, which I did today after moving my APA to secondary. Had a read through that Rinsing Yeast (in Pictures) thread though, thanks.

Will have a look into 'slanting' - no idea what that is ... I just think it would be neat to incorporate those little yeast tubes into my brewing, they just look too scientific to NOT be used!!

:)

Cheers

Check out the "let's freeze some yeast" thread also, better than slants and less space than jars in the fridge, better life span for the yeast also.

Cheers

Yob said:
Check out the "let's freeze some yeast" thread also, better than slants and less space than jars in the fridge, better life span for the yeast also.

Cheers
Thanks Yob, really appreciate the leads ... having a read of the Let's Freeze Some Yeast thread now

Back