Washing Machine Pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julez

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was recently doing some research into cheap pump alternatives for hot water recirc through my plate chiller (for cleaning). I have a spare washing machine, but after reading of the electrical risks in wiring up such a pump, decided just to leave it right where it's supposed to be (in the washing machine). So instead, I fill the washing machine tub with hot water and Sodium Percarbonate and run the washing machine on its final cycle and recirc through my chiller that way. Works a treat! But I digress...

In the above method, the pump is being used in it's normal way (kinda :p ). What I want to know though, is do these pumps need to be primed before operation? I was thinking of opening up the washing machine and attaching a silicon hose to the pump inlet, instead of filling via the washing machine tub. This way, I could use it to pump my wort into the kettle pre-boil too.

Will this idea work?

Cheers.

Not sure why you are so scared about wiring up a washing machine pump? just make sure you have some sort of splash proofing over it and make sure its earthed if possible and run it through an RCD to make doubly sure. Check out this thread on my hopback and washing mashine pump based CIP system I use to clean my CFC.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...p;hl=cip+system

As for priming the pump they are the centrifugal type the same as a march so need to be gravity primed

Not sure why you are so scared about wiring up a washing machine pump? just make sure you have some sort of splash proofing over it and make sure its earthed if possible and run it through an RCD to make doubly sure. Check out this thread on my hopback and washing mashine pump based CIP system I use to clean my CFC.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...p;hl=cip+system

As for priming the pump they are the centrifugal type the same as a march so need to be gravity primed

Thanks ausdb, though I don't even know what an RCD is, which probably demonstrates my electrical knowledge... I did successfully wire up a Fridgemate controller though, so I guess it's doable. I don't really want to muck around with 240V though, building mounting boxes, earthing, etc. Anyway, it's already in a really, really big box, in the form of a washing machine :p

Thanks for answering my question, though I think I will just work out a way to manually prime it.

Cheers

If you dont have a washing machine pump I thought you might be able to use a dishwashing pump also, just a thought

Thanks ausdb, though I don't even know what an RCD is, which probably demonstrates my electrical knowledge... I did successfully wire up a Fridgemate controller though, so I guess it's doable. I don't really want to muck around with 240V though, building mounting boxes, earthing, etc. Anyway, it's already in a really, really big box, in the form of a washing machine :p

Thanks for answering my question, though I think I will just work out a way to manually prime it.

Cheers
Sammy has sorted you on the RCD thingo, basically it monitors how much current is going down the active and neutral wires of the cord which in theory should be equal. If an imbalance is detected ie some of the current is going through you :ph34r: then it shuts the power off.

The only problem with the washing machine is that its a massive box and not all that easy to move ;)

Back