Warehouse 48 Litre Esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busboy said:
There's a Warehouse at North Rocks, isn't there?
[post="118739"][/post]​

Yes, Next to KMart side of Westfields. Under the space where Pizza Hut used to be. The Martellies Fruit Market.

Any Canberrans know if theres a Warehouse in Canberra/Queanbeyan?
Cheers
Steve

Ignore my last post....phone book says: Queabeyan, Tuggeranong Hyperdome and Woden. Bewdy!
Cheers
Steve

Steve said:
Any Canberrans know if theres a Warehouse in Canberra/Queanbeyan?
Cheers
Steve
[post="118759"][/post]​

According to their website there is one store at the following address:

Woden
Corner Hindmarsh Drive & Botany Street, Woden, 2606, ACT
(02) 6232 5868

Beers,
Doc

The Woden / Phillip one is on the south side of Hindmarsh Drive, behind KFC, near the FSW shoe shop and the fire station.

timmy said:
is an esky food grade? :ph34r:
[post="118498"][/post]​
Does it matter ? Its going to get boiled.
My current esky even if it was food grade doesn't look food grade anymore after many years of use as a mash tun
Yes it does matter. Non-food grade plastic can leech toxic chemicals into your wort.

Steve,
There are several in Canberra, the one at Woden as already mentioned, one in the Hyperdome at Tuggeranong, one in Queanbeyan and I think there is one in Belconnen.

Cheers
BradT

Martin said:
The Woden / Phillip one is on the south side of Hindmarsh Drive, behind KFC, near the FSW shoe shop and the fire station.

timmy said:
is an esky food grade? :ph34r:
[post="118498"][/post]​
Does it matter ? Its going to get boiled.
My current esky even if it was food grade doesn't look food grade anymore after many years of use as a mash tun
Yes it does matter. Non-food grade plastic can leech toxic chemicals into your wort.
[post="118774"][/post]​

gday fellas,

how do you find out if it's FG or not ?

mine is an "Esky" brand, i can't recall if the packaging mentioned FG though.

cheers

yard

yardy said:
gday fellas,

how do you find out if it's FG or not ?

mine is an "Esky" brand, i can't recall if the packaging mentioned FG though.

cheers

yard
[post="120427"][/post]​

I tried to find out if my Nylex esky was food grade at high temps when I bought it, couldnt find much useful, and used it anyway. Its worth taking a risk based approach to brewing. A risk for something that could go wrong is just the probability of it happening, times the magnitude of the impact if it did.

I reckon if you apply that approach, the risk associated with plastic in your esky is probably about a billion times less than the risk associated with drinking the alcohol in the beer you make in it. Theres a 95% chance you will consume more than 2 standard drinks a day, and there is vast evidence that that is detrimental to your health.

Its probably a million times less than the risk of burning yourself while brewing on either a flame or hot liquid.

So in terms of directing effort to making brewing safer, you get much more reward for effort in looking at areas other than your mash tun.

Mrs Doc managed to get me one on the last day of the special and it is sitting in the spare room begging to be used. Alas I can't christen it until my birthday. My current one still has a few brews left in in so no probs anyway.
The best thing is the manifold from my current esky fits perfectly, so no new fabrification required.

Doc

Christened it this morning.
My false bottom from my previous esky fitted perfectly.

Almost maxed it out with 10.6 kg of grain plus 100 gr of hops.
It held up pretty well.
Slight discolouration, and a little bit of warping on one side and the bottom. For $40 though she is a winner.

How is everyone elses holding up ?

Doc

Trying not to hijack the thread, but I have a 50 litre esky, as well as a 50 litre keg. Which would be better to use a mash tun??? I have a 20 litre urn for a HLT, and a 70 litre keg for a boiler. Just thinking which would work best.

Cheers,

Jase

Trying not to hijack the thread, but I have a 50 litre esky, as well as a 50 litre keg. Which would be better to use a mash tun??? I have a 20 litre urn for a HLT, and a 70 litre keg for a boiler. Just thinking which would work best.

Cheers,
Jase

The esky is easier. It is already insulated (and probably has an oulet).
Your other option would need insulation added and an outlet.
I'd be going a larger HLT though to support your other volumes.

Beers,
Doc

Hi, I read somewhere (bodensatz I think) that you can tell if an esky is food grade by the smell. The non food grade ones (apparently) have a really "plasticky" kinda smell if you take a whiff after its been closed for a while. I use an old Coleman 38L I had sitting around and noticed no such smell, so I think it's ok. Let us know what its like I want a bigger esky and might just have to get one of these :)

The Warehouse one had quite a plastic smell to it.
A good go over with a hot caustic solution got rid of that.
It is getting another workout tomorrow.

Beers,
Doc

Well

My warehouse esky has finished its lifespan as a mash/lauter tun, it leaking around fitting going throught the esky, it has done 14 AG brews.

The inner skin has heaps of cracks, wouldnt be my recomendation for a long lasting mash tun, not sure how much better the rubbermaid ones would hold up

Cheers,
Jase

The esky is easier. It is already insulated (and probably has an oulet).
Your other option would need insulation added and an outlet.
I'd be going a larger HLT though to support your other volumes.

Beers,
Doc

/Hijack On :ph34r:
Doc, what about step mashes ? As far as I can see the only way of doing step mashes in an esky is with a hand held heater element (Pumpy or Batz :unsure: ) or to be pumping in a HERMS style system. If you use the keg you could always put the burner under it to bring the temp up.
Not sure whether step mashes are the be all and end all...I'm at the same point as Jase and still considering which way to go.

Hijack Off\

Back