Warehouse 48 Litre Esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying not to hijack the thread, but I have a 50 litre esky, as well as a 50 litre keg. Which would be better to use a mash tun??? I have a 20 litre urn for a HLT, and a 70 litre keg for a boiler. Just thinking which would work best.

Cheers,
Jase

The esky is easier. It is already insulated (and probably has an oulet).
Your other option would need insulation added and an outlet.
I'd be going a larger HLT though to support your other volumes.

Beers,
Doc

/Hijack On :ph34r:
Doc, what about step mashes ? As far as I can see the only way of doing step mashes in an esky is with a hand held heater element (Pumpy or Batz :unsure: ) or to be pumping in a HERMS style system. If you use the keg you could always put the burner under it to bring the temp up.
Not sure whether step mashes are the be all and end all...I'm at the same point as Jase and still considering which way to go.

Hijack Off\

Two options for step mashes in an esky.
As you point out a hand held element, or a decoction schedule.

Beers,
Doc

Is the step mash worth it ?
Searching for decoction schedule now.

Will start a new thread if that's a better idea..

Edit: Don't worry about the 2nd, think I've found the link :D

Very depenadant on the grains you are using and the style of beer you are trying to produce.
Some say the Weyermann Bohemian Pils requires a step mash. Also weizen beers are reputed to benefit from decoction mashes.

Beers,
Doc

Two options for step mashes in an esky.
As you point out a hand held element, or a decoction schedule.

What happened to the good ol chuck boiling water in? gives pretty instantaneous temp rises and fills it up for a batch sparge at the same time :p

Back