Wanting To Start Out Some Ag, So Is This Worth It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on a good thermometer, but I was brewing AG for 12 months before I bought a silicon hose. Urns have taps, so sit the urn on a milk crate and empty it straight into the cube, bam!

Also, you may want to download and install Brewmate. It's free brewing software that will allow you to plan your brewday (has timers built in). It has all sorts of useful tools and calculators too.

Also, you may want to download and install Brewmate. It's free brewing software that will allow you to plan your brewday (has timers built in). It has all sorts of useful tools and calculators too.

Solid recommendation.Unless you're using a Mac.

I was brewing AG for 12 months before I bought a silicon hose. Urns have taps, so sit the urn on a milk crate and empty it straight into the cube, bam!
The silicone hose goes on the tap so that you can rack from the urn into the cube. This is fairly standard practise. Even if you don't believe in hot side aeration it's still easier than putting the cube on a milk crate and then moving it to the ground so that you can squeeze the air out with your knee. Just buy the silicone hose at the same time as the urn. No brainer.

Oh and consider a ball valve for the urn to replace the christ-almighty-it's-hard-to-fit-the-hose-over-this-stock-tap.
This isn't needed, and it's piss easy to fit the silicone hose to a Crown urn stock tap. It also sits on the tap snuggly and in my opinion is safe. The only issue is if you put it on wet. The hose and tap should be dry or it'll slip off easily. Once it's on dry, it stays on and even hot liquid going through it doesn't change this. It then takes a minor amount of effort to get it off afterwards, which signifies to me that it works well and won't come off during use.

get some decent digital scales for hop additions, if you dont any already.

Latest posts

Back