Wanting to get into brewing, completely new setup req'd.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLWNHR

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been a member for a while, reading and taking it all in, unfortunately I've been too time poor to get into home brewing. Fortunately I've just sold my business and I'll have nights and weekends again!

The Mrs. is a cider fan and wants to get into brewing that and I'd like to get into beer. I'm probably looking to set up to do a batch of cider for her first, just to get her on-side, then get into beer.

I'm looking for recommendations on gear that can do both (though most will be unique to beer brewing, from my understanding cider is reasonably simple).

I have an area about 4x4m under my house that gets no light, I figured this is a good area for fermenting. Around the whole house is an 8" thick concrete foundation so it stays a fairly constant temperature and humidity under there. Adjacent to this there is a 3.5x9m area where my weekend car parks, at the end I'm setting it up as a bar and brewing area.

Other info, I'm very handy, can fabricate steelwork including stainless. I live in Tassie so apples are easy to source, brewing supplies less-so, there is only one brew-shop in town. I do a lot of work with a large commercial brewery (draftsman) so have a good understanding of the process on a commercial scale. This also gives me access to some advice based on tasting once I get down the track a bit. Unfortunately only 1 or 2 staff home-brew and I don't deal with them.

Hoping you can help out a brewing rookie.

EDIT:
I was given the Braumeister catalogue by one of the brewery engineers when I mentioned home-brew. From what I've read they seem like a good thing but the outlay is up there, I'm more than happy to fabricate something based on recommendations.

I'll also add I have good access to short (sub-2m) lengths of stainless pipework through various fabricator contacts which could come in handy. I could probably get my hands on some old kegs too, by the looks these make good boilers?

Ok this is a Joke right?? Your a banned member come back as a different username?

You have what sounds like awesome man cave potential under your house, you can fabricate stainless products and have access to various stainless bling, you already do work for a commercial brewery so have contacts there and your asking us for advice????

Seriously though it sounds like you have the room and the contacts supplies etc to make up an awesome 1V recirculating setup or BIAB rig.
If you do a search you will find heaps of info on making braumiester clones or 1v systems.

Or if you can get your hands on some kegs consider a 2 or 3 v system even maybe a Herms. Lots of different options.

Welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Truman said:
Ok this is a Joke right?? Your a banned member come back as a different username?

You have what sounds like awesome man cave potential under your house, you can fabricate stainless products and have access to various stainless bling, you already do work for a commercial brewery so have contacts there and your asking us for advice????

Seriously though it sounds like you have the room and the contacts supplies etc to make up an awesome 1V recirculating setup or BIAB rig.
If you do a search you will find heaps of info on making braumiester clones or 1v systems.

Or if you can get your hands on some kegs consider a 2 or 3 v system even maybe a Herms. Lots of different options.

Welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
No joke. :unsure: I've never been banned and this account was started nearly 2 years ago, I've logged on as I've had the time.

The trouble with the my commercial brewing process knowledge is it's based on 100+ million litres/year capacity which is enormously different to 100 litres/year. Once I'm up and brewing I have a good source for information regarding additives etc. to obtain (or remove) certain properties in the beer, but they aren't much help until then.

Is there a FAQ outlining the different types of setups? You mention 1V, BIAB, Braumeister clones (I know what they are), 2V, 3V or HERMS, should I just Google these (happy to do that) or is there a FAQ on the forum that I've missed? Any recommendations on which is the best cost vs. beer quality setup? Any suggestions of good books to buy?

I did have 2 kegs but about 18 months ago I got inspired to build a drivable esky (the front keg is still whole so can store ice and beer) to take to the hot rod nationals.... Hindsight says I could have re-purposed them better. I can probably get more though.

Serioulsy though. have a rewad of John Palmer's free only how to brew book. Not the best but a great start. You Tube Brew TV.

BLWNHR said:
100 litres/year.
4 runs through fermenter = that.

Umm, have a play with what is around and work out what you like?
If you have access to a brewery then perhaps you can buy grain from them?
Cider is easy to make.

There are many different methods, my adventure into all grain from kits cost less than $20 and made way better beer than most I have drunk.
I used ideas from here.
Read and digest and fumble n stumble.

Glot said:
Serioulsy though. have a rewad of John Palmer's free only how to brew book. Not the best but a great start. You Tube Brew TV.
Will do, thanks.

indica86 said:
4 runs through fermenter = that.

Umm, have a play with what is around and work out what you like?
If you have access to a brewery then perhaps you can buy grain from them?
Cider is easy to make.

There are many different methods, my adventure into all grain from kits cost less than $20 and made way better beer than most I have drunk.
I used ideas from here.
Read and digest and fumble n stumble.
I may be able to source grain from them. We had a dinner last month and they all said using fresh grist makes a huge difference to the flavour. On their commercial level they have a 4 hour window to use it or it's binned as they reckon it loses too much flavour.

Yeah, I read this thread which makes cider seem relatively easy. By the looks I only need some fermenters to make that happen (hardware wise). Is there a recommended online store for this? I can't see that cider or beer fermenters are any different, correct?

Fermenters are the same. Cider needs juice + yeast ( I prefer wine yeasts over cider yeasts) and is very easy.

can we see pics of the Blown HR ?

off topic i know but i cant help you with making cider...

Maheel said:
can we see pics of the Blown HR ?

off topic i know but i cant help you with making cider...
Haha, no problems. They are rubbish mobile phone photos from last weekend. It's been off the road for 5 years after an oiling failure spun a bearing, finally got it back going again and am running the new motor in. The other shot is of the next project that turned up from the US (via WA) in August.

nice work :)

be careful if you start brewing make sure you leave room in the shed for that pickup....

i so want a nice weekend drive :(

What a nice sleeper. If built right, that would give a lot of cars a run for there money.......I have known an atmo 202 HR hat would do 13's all day.

Ducatiboy stu said:
What a nice sleeper. If built right, that would give a lot of cars a run for there money.......I have known an atmo 202 HR hat would do 13's all day.
Yeah, it dyno'd at 180rwkW/320rwNm on the old motor, this new one has a better custom-grind cam and should be good for about 60rwkW more.

We've got off the subject of beer and brewing a bit, haha. Perhaps I'm better to get a basic kit, do a few brews then look into something more elaborate.

I suggest sourcing a fresh wort kit. Some decent yeast and and an old fridge. A temp controller. A packet of napisan and a bottle of starsan. Bottles from the local pub. This will work out cheaper after a few brews than a slab of decent beer. Its entry level and a simple post or two here will set you up with some good advice. You will get a great beer with very little fuss and if you choose to go further you can.

Djar's suggestion us really smart. Will give you a good feel for brewing and all grain taste without the expense of building a brew rig. Plus its fast and easy.

Latest posts

Back