Wanted to Use: Accurate Thermometer to Calibrate Against

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermeupscotty

Reaction score
Hello fellows,

I use one of those metal prod BBQ thermometers from Bunnings for most of my measuring. Given that it's designed to measure high meat-cooking temperatures, I'm thinking it's probably not so accurate around 10-25°C and 60-80°C. So now that I'm mashing (and after having a low fermentability mash), I reckon it might be worth checking it against something I know that is accurate so I can make a correction chart.

Sure I could just buy a good one but unfortunately I've gotta brew on a budget at the moment. Does anyone have a good thermometer I could use for a few hours?

Cheers.

I'm thinking you're right, you're not going to get accurate readings from that meat thermometer. You should pretty much just buy an accurate one.

I use a Fowler's thermometer. Only costs $20, you can get it online or I've seen it at stores (Bulleen Art And Garden in Heidleberg has it), and the readings on mine seem pretty reliable. I use it for both brewing and cheesemaking. There may be others that are better suited to brewing but I've had no problems with mine.

If that's impossible I could definitely lend you mine for a day or so. But I think getting a $20 one is the far better option.

I've got the hanna instruments probe and lcd thermometer is fantastic and comes with accuracy certificate. Fast response too!

Hmm, thanks guys. Yeah I'm probably being a bit too cheap with my thinking. For $20 I could definitely grab a new one. Thanks for the links, I'll have a think about that one.

The Hanna instruments units sure look sweet but too exxy for me...

i have a similar of these units .also have coffee creamer analog unit.if you want to check your accuracy boil some water in cup/jug..boiling point don't change

I've got one of these, it's bloody fantastic. It even has high/low temp alarms. I was using a meat thermometer previously too and I think the thermometer upgrade was the thing that most helped me to improve my brews.

Some great suggestions in this thread for when I inevitably drop my glass thermometer (of which the plastic grip and string ring has already fallen off).

I stopped using glass after one broke in a brew. That beer tasted.... metallic. I think it was from the little ball bearings they use to weight the floating thermometers. Don't worry, I filtered (most of) them out.

Wouldn't drink a beer that a thermometer has broken in. I think they all use mercury - poisonous.

Mercury as a liquid has a peculiar habit of forming distinct beads, or balls. Like water droplets, but silvery. Saw it once in chemistry class. Fun to watch. Not so much fun to eat.

All metals do that when in liquid state. Just most of them aren't liquid at atmospheric conditions like mercury :)
Mad hatter brewers???

Veeeeeeeeery nice 19th century/Lewis Carroll reference. Yep, for the benefit of others, in the 19th century they didn't know about mercury poisoning; hatmakers had prolonged exposure to mercury vapour during feltmaking, and the result was they went slowly crazy: hence the phrase 'mad as a hatter ' and the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland. Cheery reading for everyone.

Brouhaha I think what I'm saying is if you're still drinking that brew.... please stop!

There was no mercury in the thermometer, I contacted the manufacturer and was informed that they use a dyed alcohol in their floating thermometers not mercury. Besides it was only the outer casing that holds the steel weights and wax that broke... I drank 20L of that beer and am still standing, takes a lot more than a little broken thermometer to bring me down.

Nathan needs to be featured on an episode of Extreme Brewing. If that show doesn't already exist, then it should.

"Broken glassware in the mash? Down the hatch!"

"Metallic-tasting beer? Balance it out with a few bags of dextrose! Rrrreeooaarrr!!!"

Latest posts

Back