• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Keg Gear (tassie)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhsbaker

Reaction score
Does anyone in Tassie have gear to set up a keg system for sale or know where I can get hold of it at a good price? I've checked out the local Home Brew Shop and it'll cost me about $500 from them.

If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Cheers
James

Contact "Brew by You" in Glenorchy, last I looked they had kegs for $72.50 each. The home brew shop in town, Tasmanian HB supplies are some charming people :ph34r: :blink: :p -Not. They wanted to charge $150 for a keg and then give you the whole speal about how hard it is to get them and if they ever do they are going to charge like XX $ because they are in such demand blah blah blah. That's after you cop a whole lot of attitude. It's a lovely place to go.

Brew by You is the place to go, great guys and helpful. They should be able to kit you out with the rest of the gear but I can't be sure on the rest of the prices.

You could get a reg off ebay for ~$80-85 mark, get some taps from the US from someone like www.brewersdiscount.com (last time I bought I got them landed for ~$45AUD each) and get your disconects while you're at it (~$6 each). Then you just need some lines, which you should be able to get from either of the HB shops, Purple Pig or a few other places. Look for BEVA tubing in 4mm and 5mm diameters.

Hope that's a start but don't rule out contacting a number of the other HBS in Australia, both online and shop front stores as you'll likely get much better prices. Get your kegs locally, get the rest of the gear from another HBS if you want. There is no need to go to a local HBS if they shaft you these days, get the big things locally then get the small stuff posted to you. Any further questions send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers, Justin

Check on Ebay there was a bloke in Tassie that had a complete setup for sale I dont think it got sold

Hi,

slightly OT but related to the reply two above this:

About the Home brew shop in Hobart: Went in for the first time in a long, long while (usually go to Brew By You!) and my god, what is with the sour attitude? I was only buying a couple of small items, but it was like I was making their lives so difficult! Anyone else felt the same? Definitely won't be heading out there anytime soon again! And seeing as I live a lot closer to Glenorchy than Hobart, I'll keep going to Brew By You. No affiliation, but have been treated really well by those guys!

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for the tips!

I'll go and have a chat to the guys at brew by you (I just happen to be going out there on monday to pick up some (full) kegs).

Cheers
James

Hi,

About the Home brew shop in Hobart: Went in for the first time in a long, long while (usually go to Brew By You!) and my god, what is with the sour attitude? I was only buying a couple of small items, but it was like I was making their lives so difficult! Anyone else felt the same? Definitely won't be heading out there anytime soon again! And seeing as I live a lot closer to Glenorchy than Hobart, I'll keep going to Brew By You. No affiliation, but have been treated really well by those guys!

Cheers

Nick

I don't want to start slagging off a business too much, but I'll just make the comment that you're not alone Nick. Maybe some people get good enough service ( :unsure: ) but I don't need to be treated like that when there is another option just down the road who are far more nice to deal with-and they actually stock the supplies I'm interested in (ie. most importantly base malts etc). That's all I'll say.

Best of luck James, hope the BBY blokes can help you out there. If not they'll at least you'll be able to get the kegs and then the rest of the gear from a range of other places if they haven't got it in stock. I like to support them, they've been great to me.

Cheers. Justin

Hi,

Cheers

Nick

I don't want to start slagging off a business too much, but I'll just make the comment that you're not alone Nick. Maybe some people get good enough service ( :unsure: ) but I don't need to be treated like that when there is another option just down the road who are far more nice to deal with-and they actually stock the supplies I'm interested in (ie. most importantly base malts etc). That's all I'll say.

Best of luck James, hope the BBY blokes can help you out there. If not they'll at least you'll be able to get the kegs and then the rest of the gear from a range of other places if they haven't got it in stock. I like to support them, they've been great to me.

Cheers. Justin

Too true Justin! I do have to say I've had a really good experience nearly every time at BBY. (And the prices are pretty good too!) And yes, having just started All Grain brewing myself, the availability and price of the grains BBY have is fantastic! Spent many an afternoon there (hand) milling a few dozen kilos of this or that... :) (puting down my first Oatmeal Stout this coming week sometime....)

James - Was in at BBY yesterday and they seem to have got some new stock of 19L kegs in. About 10 or so lying around at $82.50 each if memory serves correctly!

And the BBY guys will be at Hobart Beerfest this Saturday, with their Dark Isle Brews.... If anyone is interested!

http://www.hobartbeerfest.com

Cheers

Nick

I'm away this weekend so will miss the beerfest which is unfortunate as I really would have like to try a few of the beers we can't get locally and support the event. A bit disappointed about it actually. Guess it would have been a good excuse for a few of the Hobart brewers on this forum to meet up and have a chat and drink a few different beers.

I did manage to get a beer in for the HB comp though, a Classic American Cream Ale. I wonder how it will be perceived? Not real confident, although it's a great beer but the comp style guidelines have me very concerned about the quality of the judging (that comment is absolutely not related to the recent judging threads). I think the prelim qualifying will be by the Drysdale students so if you brewed a boags draught or premium you'd be a shoe in for best beer of show :ph34r:

Light coloured beer, dark coloured beer and specialty beer. Hmmm :rolleyes:

Anyway, will be interesting. Have fun.
Cheers, Justin

Tell me about it! I'm not confident about my entry either! I didn't have enough notice to brew specifically for the comp, but I entered an "Australian Lager" that I made, using a very similar recipe to Cascade Premium Lager! It was tasting great a week ago, but not so good today...??? No idea what's going on, but hoping I'll get at least some feedback! And yeah, the "Style Guidelines" are a bit broad...here's hoping the beefrest will be a roaring success and there will be more categories next year!

Oh well, there's always next year..... Better start brewing this week for that one ;)

Cheers

Nick

I've got my final uni exam for the year on saturday so I can't go. Oh well, I'll go next year and enter a few beers. I'm planning to be doing all grain beers by then.

I've had good experience so far with brew by you - we have been getting beer from the Engi society from them. I reckon we've spent over $2000 out there this semester. It's hard forcing down a cascade draught now that I've started drinking good beer.

Do they have equipment for milling grain out at BBY? What was putting me off all grain was having to invest (or make) a grain mill.

Good luck with your entries guys!
James

Tell me about it! I'm not confident about my entry either! I didn't have enough notice to brew specifically for the comp, but I entered an "Australian Lager" that I made, using a very similar recipe to Cascade Premium Lager!

I reckon your entry might hit it off with the judges Nick as it will be something along the lines of what they are expecting I'd think, but I really can't give too much stick it may be very well run. We'll just have to see how it turns out, I have no doubt that the winning beers will be justified and be very good beers. I was just a bit concerned that if the beer didn't necessarily fall into the Aussie lager style it may be penalised or dismissed for being too hoppy, or bitter, etc if you follow my thinking. But we'll see.

James, BBY have a hand cranked corona mill. It'll get the job done and will get you out of strife for as long as you want to use it. If you can crush it there you don't even need a mill, it just becomes handy when you start buying 25kg bags and don't want to travel out there to crush.

Maybe another Hobart brewer could help you out with crushing? I'd offer but I won't be in Hobart for too much longer (~2 months) but if you want to get some crushed send me a PM. I'm just up the hill at the Med Science building. FWIW I've got a Barley Crusher that I'm hand cranking at the moment as the motor is packed away.

Cheers, Justin

Yeah, I have a feeling my beer is out of style - It'll probably be too hoppy. Bit too heavy on the Hersbrucker additions! And no temp control, so was going with the warm Brighton winter :) Oh well, we'll see! Can only hope!

James - I've only ever used the BBY mill. Usually buy enough grain for 2 or 3 brews at a time (about 12-15KG) and the crushing takes a while (was there for a good hour yesterday!) but it saves on the expense at the moment, and the grain stays OK for a few weeks at least, not that it ever lasts that long :) One day soon I'll have the ~90 for the Corona style mill, or might even spring for one of the motorised ones...although with today's interest rate rise, the house and the car are costing even more (pricks!) but I digress.

If you ever need a hand going all grain James, just gimme a yell. I sort of worked it out myself, and have started making some good beer, but it's always nice to have someone to bounce questions off. I'd also suggest the guys at BBY for that, but anyway, let me know if you need a hand!

Cheers guys

Nick

Hi,

Cheers

Nick

Cheers. Justin
Hi Guys
found the same thing! Service with a smile is always a good idea if you want people to come back. Mind you the service and range was better than the place in Launceston!!
Brew By You have always had the stuff I need in stock or willing to organise when ever I have made the trek down to Hobart. The price for base malts is certainly very competitive when you consider what freight from the mainland would be.
Chris

Freight from mainland is pretty cheap surprisingly. I advocate supporting your local hbs if they have what you want at a reasonable price, but if there's something you want that they havent got give CraftBrewer (totally affiliated) or one of the other online stores a go. I regularly post supplies to Tassie :)

cheers Ross...

Freight from mainland is pretty cheap surprisingly. I advocate supporting your local hbs if they have what you want at a reasonable price, but if there's something you want that they havent got give CraftBrewer (totally affiliated) or one of the other online stores a go. I regularly post supplies to Tassie :)

cheers Ross...

Well while we're endorsing good service etc, I'll endorse Craftbrewer! Love your work Ross! I've ordered a few yeasts a couple of times, and they've always arrived promptly, and for a really good price too! I'll be making an order for some hops (BBY only stocks around 10 varieties) next pay day...Probably some of the more "exotic" varieties so I can experiment a little!

Cheers

Nick

PS: Ross...when are you going to get those Kegs onto the website, and what sort of shipping could I expect for Tassie (postcode 7030)?

PS: Ross...when are you going to get those Kegs onto the website, and what sort of shipping could I expect for Tassie (postcode 7030)?

NickB,

Kegs $60 each & freight for 4 works out at approx $10 each. Available now by email, hopefully on site shortly - still exploring the best freight options. Kegs are not the easiest to move long distances due to their large size to weight ratio. whereas 6.5kg of grain can be delivered for just $9.35.

cheers Ross

NickB,

Kegs $60 each & freight for 4 works out at approx $10 each. Available now by email, hopefully on site shortly - still exploring the best freight options. Kegs are not the easiest to move long distances due to their large size to weight ratio. whereas 6.5kg of grain can be delivered for just $9.35.

cheers Ross

OK, cool. Not a bad price $70 each with postage! Best i can find down here is about $82 each, and they're as is..... Will need some cash and a fridge (and taps, gas etc...), but will let you know! Bring on the lotto win :p

cheers

Nick

Have to agree - Ross's service is fantastic - have had regulator, grain, yeast and other bits and pieces all arrive in perfect order, and very quickly too! :p

My wife got 4 kegs from ebay a few months back, which worked out around $65 each - had a few dents in 1, but they all hold pressure. If (when :rolleyes: ) I need more I'll be going through Ross.

I've been out to BBY a couple of times and their service has been great. On the other hand, THBS have been pretty average! It's like you have interupted them from their slumber when you walk in the door!

You will be suprised how quickly you can acquire things for your setup, especially through other members on this site. My beer fridge I got from Justin earlier this year and it hasn't missed a beat. If I had have known about the AG world when I first started I may have been able to grab his 3 tier stand he gave away :( Now is a good time to go for a drive through the suburbs too, as it's the annual HCC rubbish cleanup, so people put out all sorts of treasure! Have noticed a lot of fridges, though you would need to check they worked first - haven't seen any large pots, but I have my eye out! Good luck with your setup mate, it's an obsession that keeps on growing. :super:

Cheers,

Morrie

Thanks mate!

You heading down to the Beerfest this weekend? Should be a good day I think! Shame I have to work afterwards, so I'll need to keep the tasting to a *reasonable* level.....like that's gonna happen ;)

Cheers

Nick

Hey Nick and Justin. How did your beers go at the beerfest?

Those kegs from craft brewer sound like a good deal. Maybe we could get an order together to cut down on the shipping cost (and get them filled with other goodies to make freight an even better deal).

James

Back