• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted : HERM/RIMS and Beer Sculpture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skb

Reaction score
Ok I am BIAB but keen to go to 3 Vessel (yes please don;t post why blah blah blah), I always started with this end state in mind and now the wife is endorsing the expansion plan, which I am amazed at to be frank.

In addition to this I am interested in a HERM System, maybe a RIM, but I like the idea of HERM. Does anyone have an integrated HERM/Mash Tun for Sale ? Or pointers where to get one, I may be able to make one but quite frankly unlike 90% of the people on these forum I am basically a home handyman moron.

The second item I want to purchase is a solid 3 Tier system work bench (or as seems to be the fancy work Sculpture) for the equipment that is all metal, any pointers. Was not keen on a self assembly purely because of the weights.

I really only do 5 Gallon / 20 Ltr batches. I like smaller batches and wider variety

FYI I am in Sydney (for Sculpture) but Brisbane at Christmas (for Tun/HERM)

What sort of budget do you have? For some reason I'm thinking that the grainfather could be a simple off the shelf solution for you. $1k and its a turnkey re-cirluating system out of the box.

Definitely go with the Rack-it shelving from Bunnings. Easy to assemble (I'm a handyman moron as well) and holds a heap of weight. Here's my 3/4 vessel I'll hopefully finish before Xmas. Only tool you need is a hammer.

dzKOZVc.jpg

Please note: Don't use the castors in this pic :p was just for testing purposes

For the HERM look at starting simple with a jug/small urn system using a herm-it coil

http://www.fullpint.com.au/herm-it-stainless-steel-herms-coil/

a great place to start is >HERE< in the dedicated HERMS thread, heaps of inspiration and great set-ups as well as loads of Ghetto systems that work.

I made my HEX out of a $40 5lt Birko urn and 3m of copper coil but Nev's little HERMit coil is much smaller I believe, it all depends on how much coin you want to spend on what level of bling system...

The dedicated HERMS thread really is a good place to start though :)

skb said:
Ok I am BIAB but keen to go to 3 Vessel (yes please don;t post why blah blah blah), I always started with this end state in mind and now the wife is endorsing the expansion plan, which I am amazed at to be frank.

In addition to this I am interested in a HERM System, maybe a RIM, but I like the idea of HERM. Does anyone have an integrated HERM/Mash Tun for Sale ? Or pointers where to get one, I may be able to make one but quite frankly unlike 90% of the people on these forum I am basically a home handyman moron.

The second item I want to purchase is a solid 3 Tier system work bench (or as seems to be the fancy work Sculpture) for the equipment that is all metal, any pointers. Was not keen on a self assembly purely because of the weights.

I really only do 5 Gallon / 20 Ltr batches. I like smaller batches and wider variety

FYI I am in Sydney (for Sculpture) but Brisbane at Christmas (for Tun/HERM)
Definately need to know budget to assist more with toy purchases ;)

Tahoose said:
What sort of budget do you have? For some reason I'm thinking that the grainfather could be a simple off the shelf solution for you. $1k and its a turnkey re-cirluating system out of the box.
I like this idea, and though as stated above when upgrading go bigger than single. The grainfather can produce more than one batch in a day easily, and hey for the cost hell buy two, actually if I bought two of them when started out, I'd probably have saved enough for a third with what I've spent to date. go figure most Agers will gone down similar paths, upgrades never end!
Dont tell SWMBO :ph34r:

I am definitely going to go the RackIt from bunnings solution - I had a small bunnings near me did not see the "all metal" solutions only the ones with MDF tops, but the all metal RackIT is great. My weekend purchase !

Wife has approved $1000 .. so that means +/-25% if I use her shopping rules !!

I will go and look in detail at the HERM thread thanks Yob, but that will be tomorrow I have a session tonight !

I am looking at going a double batch system, my only concern was an oversized Mash Tun and heat loss but that is really not an issue with a HERM system anyway. So will be going double size..

Definitely go double batch, good decision.

The rack-it stuff should only cost about ~150-250 depending on the design you want.
Tip: You dont need to buy the support braces if you buy wire shelves, they're only for the MDF shelves.

Even if it costs you $250 that leaves you wuth $1000 for brew gear using the wifes shopping rules :)

I know kegking have a herms system for around $1000 mark comes with benches etc to I believe.

Cheaper to put together your own probably but I'm just putting another option for you to look at

If you have an ikea near you also then they might have heavy duty stainless shelving cheaper then bunnings, I know mine did when I bought some

skb said:
Wife has approved $1000 .. so that means +/-25% if I use her shopping rules !!
I think you will find those rules are for your wife and she will have a different set of rules for you.

for $1000 you can get a pretty good rig.

some things to consider though.. are you going gas or electric for HLT and Kettle? Steel pot or Esky MT? Single level or tiered

Personally, Im electric for HLT and Gas for the Kettle, mostly because I dont have 3 phase, Ive got twin 10A circuits out in the shed which service the HLT and the HEX, I also set mine up tiered so that in the event of a power failure I can still run under gravity (which Ive had to do only once)

Yobs.jpg

Yob said:
Personally, Im electric for HLT and Gas for the Kettle, mostly because I dont have 3 phase, Ive got twin 10A circuits out in the shed which service the HLT and the HEX, I also set mine up tiered so that in the event of a power failure I can still run under gravity (which Ive had to do only once)

Yobs.jpg
Coming soon to AHB: Doomsday Brewers- How to stay drunk during a zombie apocalypse.

Very valid points Yob. I use the same heating combination but single tier. But I plan on training zombies to transfer volumes if necessary.

Back