• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted A.g Supplies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy Fistyman,

I think if that you are just venturing into AG the easiest and safest way to go would be firstly to do single batches. This will more than halve the time to develop your skills and knowledge as well as finding a few styles you really like.

Secondly, I would definitely start out BIAB (brewing in a bag). Get your 90 litre pot and go from there. None of the equipment required in BIAB becomes redundant should you choose to change to another method. The knowledge level required is relatively low and the time taken is also a little quicker.

Starting this way will enable you to make well-informed decisions should you choose to expand your brewery - something you may well choose to not even do. After a brew day on Saturday, one of the guys up here has just decided to stop batch-sparging with an esky and start brewing in a bag. I have also done this.

FingerlickinB is in Canberra and brews in a bag. Buy some good beer and invite yourself around to his place for a look ;)

All the best,
PP

Hey Pistolpatch,

thanks to you and everyone else in this forum who has given helpful advice. I have printed out the articles and will read them today. It sounds like the most logical approach to get up and running for a fraction of the cost. It will also mean I don't have to rush into buying/making all the equipment.
Cheers

Hey PP, if I get a cheap Stainless Steel 70 or 90litr pot that will be ok wont it? As the grain is not going to be sitting on the bottom. When I say cheap I mean it will have a thin base. Being a qualified chef I am used to using thick based pots which help to make sure food doesn't burn on the bottom.

Glad the above made some sense Fisty. There's so much good advice on AHB but sometimes it's hard when you're starting out to know what's relevant to your situation. A good thread on this is Justin's A Guide to Starting Out in AG THis was written before any info on BIAB was posted on AHB and shows the pitfalls of racing intoo quickly equipment-wise.

Re a thin-bottomed pot, this can be a good way to get started if you can get one cheap enough. If not, you might be better off going for a thick-bottomed alumium pot. I have a thick-based SS pot and 3 ring burner and my grain does sit on the base. If you use a thin-bottomed pot you will have to use a cake stand or something to keep your bag 1 or 2 cm off the bottom or you may be asking for trouble.

As for carameliasation during the boil with a thin-bottomed pot, I don't think I'm qualified to answer that one for you. Certainly a ring burner will be less of a problem than a NASA burner in this regard.

ANother good thing about starting out this way is that your gear is very transportable. This means you can take your gear to another brewer's place and brew together. You can see other methods at work and learn a lot in the process. I think this is a very big advantage.

The other day, Zizzle (electirc BIAB) and I (gas BIAB) took our gear to bradvjval1974's (esky batch sparge) and did 6 brews. Everyone picks up info from each other and drinks too much beer.

Perfect!

Cheers
Pat

Hey Fisty,

Drop me a line sometime on 0403 498 915.

I haven't got exactly what you are asking for, but if you wunna' try your hand at some mini brews first I can help :)

PZ.

Back