• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted - 50l Steel Kegs Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julez

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to track down some stainless steel kegs for an AG setup. Is there any way for me to get my hands on these in the Brisbane area, preferably legally?? I have been hunting around with not a lot of luck so far.

Alternatively, have been weighing up using a 70L steel pot in a BIAB setup to get me started (I am totally new to AG brewing), but figured they are $300 minimum for anything half decent, so in the end may as well just go for a RIMS setup, using three converted kegs for mash/HLT/kettle, a la Sabco Brewmagic style. From what I can tell, I can get pretty similar results for less effort with BIAB, but I kinda want to learn "the old fashioned way" first. Call me a traditionalist. Also, from what I have read (probably way too much), steel pots are prone to hotspots, which I would like to avoid.

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction with getting my hands on some kegs, that would be fantastic. I'm keen to get started!! :beerbang:

Cheers, Julez.

Try a pub that has alot of import beers, may be cheaper to sell you the kegs then to send them back. Sometimes the overseas brewery factors the cost of the keg into the export price and lets the pub keep them.

Here in Canada, kegs can often be found at scrap metal yards. How they get there is open to debate, but they do find their way there often. I know of many homebrewers and a couple of professional brewers who have obtained kegs in this manner. Consult scrap metal dealers in your area. You will likely find a few kegs for very little money.

Thanks guys, some good ideas there, will get on the phone...!

Hi all,

I am trying to track down some stainless steel kegs for an AG setup. Is there any way for me to get my hands on these in the Brisbane area, preferably legally?? I have been hunting around with not a lot of luck so far.

Alternatively, have been weighing up using a 70L steel pot in a BIAB setup to get me started (I am totally new to AG brewing), but figured they are $300 minimum for anything half decent, so in the end may as well just go for a RIMS setup, using three converted kegs for mash/HLT/kettle, a la Sabco Brewmagic style. From what I can tell, I can get pretty similar results for less effort with BIAB, but I kinda want to learn "the old fashioned way" first. Call me a traditionalist. Also, from what I have read (probably way too much), steel pots are prone to hotspots, which I would like to avoid.

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction with getting my hands on some kegs, that would be fantastic. I'm keen to get started!! :beerbang:

Cheers, Julez.

I think you'll find the kegs will have more hot spots than any quality pots.

Here in Canada, kegs can often be found at scrap metal yards. How they get there is open to debate, but they do find their way there often. I know of many homebrewers and a couple of professional brewers who have obtained kegs in this manner. Consult scrap metal dealers in your area. You will likely find a few kegs for very little money.

I went to my local metal recycler (Redcliffe) with an old hot water system recently - not copper :angry:
While I was there I asked if they get any SS kegs. He said "sure, over here in this skip".

When I had a look in, every single one was sliced open or had rows of slits cut in it to make it unuseable except as scrap. :angry: :angry:

Campbell

I went to my local metal recycler (Redcliffe) with an old hot water system recently - not copper :angry:
While I was there I asked if they get any SS kegs. He said "sure, over here in this skip".

When I had a look in, every single one was sliced open or had rows of slits cut in it to make it unuseable except as scrap. :angry: :angry:

Campbell

I've got a mate who works for a megaswill company and according to him, that is what they do to any damaged-beyond-repair-kegs. You might find an old sanke type keg (barrel shaped with side bung) at one though, keep looking.

Try a pub that has alot of import beers, may be cheaper to sell you the kegs then to send them back. Sometimes the overseas brewery factors the cost of the keg into the export price and lets the pub keep them.

After twenty years in the hospo industry, working in MANY many pubs that have had import beer on tap - this is news to me. And by 'news to me', I mean, it's just not the case.
Pubs don't deal direct with international breweries. The breweries deal with importers, who they charge a deposit for each keg, who in turn charges a deposit to the pub that takes delivery of the keg, who gets their deposit back when and ONLY when they return said keg. No keg, no money....yadda yadda yadda.....

No-one gets anything for nothing. Any pub that I've ever worked would laugh their asses off at anyone that walked in and asked to buy a keg, not only because it would cost them $$$, it's also illegal for them to on-sell them, and would risk the brewery/importer refusing to supply them any more. Simple :)

After the first couple of suggestions, I made a few calls to some scrap yards in Brisbane, as well as a couple of breweries. The scrap places said they "sometimes" or "rarely" get kegs, the breweries said they pretty much keep using the kegs until they are hammered completely. I guess they must turn up from time to time in the yards, sounds like would take a lot of scouring to find anything decent. Questions would still remain about legalities...

I managed to find a place in Melbourne, Cryer Malt, who sell 50L kegs, but waiting for someone down there to get back to me re: delivery options/pricing etc.

What do you guys think - is it worth my while to pursue this, or is a SS pot the go for my kettle, as sinkas suggests? From what I had read, the walls and base of the kegs are thicker and therefore help keep temps consistent.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

After the first couple of suggestions, I made a few calls to some scrap yards in Brisbane, as well as a couple of breweries. The scrap places said they "sometimes" or "rarely" get kegs, the breweries said they pretty much keep using the kegs until they are hammered completely. I guess they must turn up from time to time in the yards, sounds like would take a lot of scouring to find anything decent. Questions would still remain about legalities...

I managed to find a place in Melbourne, Cryer Malt, who sell 50L kegs, but waiting for someone down there to get back to me re: delivery options/pricing etc.

What do you guys think - is it worth my while to pursue this, or is a SS pot the go for my kettle, as sinkas suggests? From what I had read, the walls and base of the kegs are thicker and therefore help keep temps consistent.

Thanks for the feedback everyone
Here is my take on kegs vs pots from lots of experience with pots and some with kegs.

The keg walls are thicker, the base is thinner and more prone to heat spots. Because of the overall thickness of the keg, it will be more difficult to heat and will do a good job of dispersing heat up through the sides and out into the air, rather than what a pot does, concentrate and distribute the heat on the base where it will do the most good.

I'd go the ss pot rather than the keg, but it all depends on what you can pick up a keg for if you can find a legal one. I woudn't go buying a brand new keg to convert, you'd be better off getting a 50l pot.

That's how a lot of them end up over here too. However, if you're persistent, you can get intact kegs from them before they've had the chance to puncture them. There are quite a number of kegs that are turned in by drug addicts, the homeless, etc - they're quite often stolen from behind bars. The scrap dealers know they're stolen, but from where? So it's usually the dealers themselves that puncture the kegs. Even if you do find one with holes, a little quick work with a welder can do a surprising job of fixing it.

Hi all,

Cheers, Julez.

Keep an eye on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/18-gallon-beer-keg-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi all,

Cheers, Julez.
Julez,
I picked up an aluminium stock pot, 40L, for around $100 from a catering supplies place, and a 25L pot for my HLT cheap at a market, but to get another 25L pot wouldn't be too expensive.
Using these I can easily do 23L batches, assuming that is what you are after. Haven't had any issues with scorching or hotspots or anything. I do have to lift my water and burner around during the whole process but it works alright.

I am in Brisbane as well. Come along to BABBS, 4th Thursday of the month in Holland Park, if you can, where you will find plenty of other brewers to talk set ups and taste good brews...
The exact address is in the clubs forum here.
If holland park is a little out of the way then there is a northside group I think, I'll try and remember to check if they are still running...

Don't know how far you've gotten with your setup, you may have solved all this by now...

Julez,
I picked up an aluminium stock pot, 40L, for around $100 from a catering supplies place, and a 25L pot for my HLT cheap at a market, but to get another 25L pot wouldn't be too expensive.
Using these I can easily do 23L batches, assuming that is what you are after. Haven't had any issues with scorching or hotspots or anything. I do have to lift my water and burner around during the whole process but it works alright.

I am in Brisbane as well. Come along to BABBS, 4th Thursday of the month in Holland Park, if you can, where you will find plenty of other brewers to talk set ups and taste good brews...
The exact address is in the clubs forum here.
If holland park is a little out of the way then there is a northside group I think, I'll try and remember to check if they are still running...

Don't know how far you've gotten with your setup, you may have solved all this by now...

Thanks bconnery, actually I have got myself sorted now, and ended up going the way you have suggested. Got a 50L aluminium HLT/kettle and have converted a Willow esky with a Beerbelly false bottom for mashing. Using a NASA with medium pressure reg. for setting things alight. It is still virginal equipment at the moment though - just waiting on a slight mod to my falsie. Should be ready for batch number 1 next weekend, at long last! Have been having lots of fun with recipe development in the meantime, so the delay has served me well. I'm having a crack at an IPA.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion and the invitation too. I am definitely keen to come along to a meeting, if not this month, then definitely next. Would be interested in knowing more about the North side group too, I'm in Alderley. Thanks again for the comments!

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Thanks bconnery, actually I have got myself sorted now, and ended up going the way you have suggested. Got a 50L aluminium HLT/kettle and have converted a Willow esky with a Beerbelly false bottom for mashing. Using a NASA with medium pressure reg. for setting things alight. It is still virginal equipment at the moment though - just waiting on a slight mod to my falsie. Should be ready for batch number 1 next weekend, at long last! Have been having lots of fun with recipe development in the meantime, so the delay has served me well. I'm having a crack at an IPA.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion and the invitation too. I am definitely keen to come along to a meeting, if not this month, then definitely next. Would be interested in knowing more about the North side group too, I'm in Alderley. Thanks again for the comments!

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Julez,

I am a member of the Pine Rivers underground brewing society (PUBS). We meet in the Petrie to Strathpine area. There is also BBC (Brisbane Brewers Club I think) that meets at the Chermside library. If you PM me I can provide you with contact details for both these clubs.

Cheers
Starkesbier

Latest posts

Back