Want to borrow refrac

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is a massive difference between discussing/explaining an analytical method, and how to make moonshine.

Anyone ever suggested distilled water as a base for a pilsner? Pitchforks at the ready!

Don't you think that referring to distillation from an analytical point of view to determine alcohol content as per ASBC protocols is a bit different from discussing distillation from a moonshining perspective?

Are we really going to chastise LC over this because he dared utter the evil 'd' word? He is the single most valuable contributor to this forum.

I think there is a massive difference between discussing/explaining an analytical method, and how to make moonshine.

Anyone ever suggested distilled water as a base for a pilsner? Pitchforks at the ready!

Looks like you read my mind!

Thanks all, I think I have one organised.
Very interesting conversation either way.

Don't you think that referring to distillation from an analytical point of view to determine alcohol content as per ASBC protocols is a bit different from discussing distillation from a moonshining perspective?

Are we really going to chastise LC over this because he dared utter the evil 'd' word? He is the single most valuable contributor to this forum.
Looks like you read my mind!
guys this has been done, I've chatted with LC via pm and its still stands as the rules.
please move on.

guys this has been done, I've chatted with LC via pm and its still stands as the rules.
please move on.
If it's so taboo why is there an ad for "the forum which shall not be mentioned" on the home page? And it's even made to look like it's part of this site.

the other forum was made to allow you all to talk all you want about it but it isn't acceptable here.
the link your talking about takes you else where.
lets move on we are taking this thread off topic.

So I have bottled. Numbers as follows:

Original beer doppelbock:
9.3%
~45l
Kegged off 19

Eisbock:
Refrac: 14 Brit
Hydro:1.023 sg
15l

My calcs (beersmith) tell me it comes to 11.9%

I get 11.2% ABV from those figures.

Out of curiosity, what was the range you calculated your value from?
I know you mentioned that all the testing you have done to date was within a small range of values.

Label ABV was 0.5% to 12.5%*.

Measured ABV (by Anton Paar Alex alcoliser) was 0.6% to 11.3%.

Calculated ABV (by algorithm) was 0.5% to 11.1%

It is entirely possible that there is a bias at the higher ABVs on beer but when using a similar algorithm on wine (albeit adjusted for different remnant dissolved solids) I get decent results up to 16% ABV.

* the 12.5% label was a commercial barleywine which had been open for a while and measured 10.8% by alcoliser and 11.0% by algorithm.

The next one down was 11.0% label vs 11.3% by alcoliser and 11.1% by algorithm.

Last edited:
Dare I ask - do the numbers tell you how much alcohol was lost during the freezing process?

Dare I ask - do the numbers tell you how much alcohol was lost during the freezing process?

That's just a simple calculation if you know what the original volume and ABV was.
In my case I lost a lot... contemplating kegging off the remainder just to see how it differs.

So I just had a quick taste of the thawbock... it's thin and watery, a lot more of the unfermentables must have gone to the eisbock than I thought.
The taste didn't warrant the effort kegging it... so down the sink it goes.

Latest posts

Back