Waddayareckon?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chull

Reaction score
My next recipe, what do you think?

1 x Coopers Draught
500g x LDME
250g x maltodextrine
250g x dextrose
15g x Super alpha @ 15 min
10g x Styrian Goldings @ 15 min
15g x Styrian Goldings dry hopped
21litres

I recon these thread titles are absolutely shit.
The recipe is fine depending on what ur aiming for. If its a belgian then its a shit recipe.

Have u run it through any sort of brew software free or paid to see what %alc, bitternes etc it will be?

What are u aiming for? Yes it will make beer.

Not knowing a thing about what ur after as youve told us nothing id drop the alpha to 20min and the goldings to 10min and keep dry hop.

Hahaha, you're a happy fuckin soul aren't ya, I'm fairly new to this mate so forgive me for rattling your cage!

You can see why some steer away from this site Chull, a shame really.
It's a place to learn & get good advice.

DAC said:
You can see why some steer away from this site Chull, a shame really.
It's a place to learn & get good advice.
To be fair, the guy hasn't told us anything of what he is trying to achieve or what he likes so it is difficult to comment on his recipe. More info is needed.

Just really trying out different kits and bits , my initial thought when posting was that maybe someone would have made something similar in the past and been able to tell me how it turned out, I guess I should have been more specific.

Well the malt side of things looks to be a fairly standard mix of stuff you'd use when you're trying to upgrade from kit + kilo (sugar)

Nothing to write home about, but more than likely to have a better body (with the maltodextrin & LDME) and a bit more more maltiness (LDME), as well as some improvement in flavour.

Super Alpha isn't the best flavour hop, hence the name. It relates to the high alpha acids, good for bittering, not so much for flavour. Any hop boiled for ~20min or less will contribute flavour as well as bitterness.

The Hersbrucker is quite nice in the right styles. As a bittering and flavour hop, it is magical in a German Pils.

Honestly, I'd prefer a Goldings hop for those additions (either Styrian Goldings, East Kent Goldings; both good flavour, aroma, dry hops), especially the dry hop, Hersbrucker might be a bit grassy (tastes like fresh lawn clippings)

It all comes down to the type of beer you'd like to make.
It might be alright to slap some ingredients together, see if it comes out drinkable.

But if you have something particular in mind (even if you don't it's a good read) try the BJCP guidelines. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

It might seem a bit over the top at first, but it does give some idea of the malt and hop profiles to use for different styles. (Malt is probably less relevant at your stage with kits and bits, you'd probably want to find a good base kit and work from there)

Like citymorgue2 said though, brewing software is an invaluable tool. Plenty of free options out there that are perfectly good to start on. Gives you a good idea of how strong your brew is going to be, how bitter it is, even the colour profile.

Asking for advice is good for new brewers. I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by mixing up a batch of mix matched ingredients and then thinking home brew is shit.
Brewing is half science, half artistry. Not everything that sounds like it works comes out good, somethings that sound completely wrong come out beautifully. (Fruit in beers is a great example of this, mix it just right it is AMAZING. Get it wrong, it tastes like sour, rotten fruit.)

That being said, don't be discouraged, go for it! Experiment, try new things!

Asking advice is good. Reading up and having some idea of what you're going for then asking advice is better.

Goin nuts and trying something out for yourself (good or bad): PRICELESS

Happy homebrewing,
DTH

I wouldn't put galaxy and hersbruker in the same boat..

The Coopers draught can is pretty average by itself and does require input to make it decent.. Working out which hops play well with other hops does take time... I made some pretty average drops working through that issue myself.. Perle does not go well with Cascade for example...

Don't be discouraged, if that's what you want, do it_ learn from it and move on and up.. Some damn fine points by dth above, take it on board, have a think about it and get ya Brew together

Cheers

Poor choice in thread title. but regardless...

are you going to run with the kit yeast? If you are going for a lager and have temperature control maybe try a lager yeast? or maybe try a steam beer style (lager recipe brewed at warmer temperatures) you could basically do the same recipe as you have there but with some easy to find s23 yeast

The super alpha will give yim the bitterness he needs to compensate for extra fermentables whilst minimizing amount of hops needed. You wont get a heap of flavour from it as the utilisation of a 20min addition in a kit brew is minimal as u have to assume he just using dme.

Nothing I said in my post is incorrect. I also provided an opinion on 'whaddayarecon'. Yes ahb is a great place to learn. Tonnes of info on here and people that can help clarify things or offer advice. But it also requires the people learning to do some research themselves.

I wouldnt bother using a lager yeast with a draught kit.if u wanted u could use s189 at 17C for faux lager. Lots of info about that on ahb anf peoples results.

edit. If ur interested in what people have done peevish them I suggest u check out the k&k section. I personally have posted at least 50 tried and tested recipes for people to use as referance. Others have similarly posted lots of recipes for the exact purpose of helping people.

Yob said:
The Coopers draught can is pretty average by itself and does require input to make it decent.. Working out which hops play well with other hops does take time... I made some pretty average drops working through that issue myself.. Perle does not go well with Cascade for example...

Cheers
I used 60g of hops in my last coopers tin, should have doubled that. Not the hop flavor im used to.

Back