Volume Conversions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Does anybody know the answer to this: when volumes are quoted in recipes on American web sites (eg. "pour wort into fermenter and top up to 5 Gals"), are they referring to a U.S liquid measure or U.S dry measure? The reason I ask is because if you convert 5 gallons (U.S Liquid) to metric, it is only approx 19L, which seems a bit light on for final wort volume. However, if you convert 5 Gals (U.S Dry), you get approx 22L, which seems closer to the money. This is confusing to me as I would have thought wort volume would logically be referred to in U.S Liquid units. Am I going crazy? :blink:

No you're not going crazy. They're certainly talking about 5 US liquid gallons which is indeed 18.93 litres. US liquid measures are different to British/Imperial. 5 imperial gallons equal 22.7 litres. (There's probably a story about this but I don't know it.)

Take a look at

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/volume

You can choose to convert to British or US liquid measures. (also handy for converting to Russian shkaliks and ancient Roman kognees.)

cheers
reg

Happy New Year
Americans often use glass carboys to ferment the wort and theseare suited to 19L ( 5 US gallons) capacities.

Thanks Reg and Barry. I take it this means that, when following an American recipe, I should increase the quantity of each ingredient slightly if I want to make a 22L batch?

Yes, times the amounts by 22/19 or increase the amounts by approx, 15%.
See how your OG etc compare and adjust if necessary.

Back