Viennale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I love Vienna malt - made a 90% Vienna lager earlier in the year and it was yum. I have just bought a sack of it. However I'm well over making lagers and tying up equipment and pumping electricity at them for months on end, and would like to try a similar brew but done as an ale.

Thinking:

90% Vienna 10% Pils (I understand that a bit of pils is a good insurance policy as V has scant diastatic power and can only just about make it over the finish line converting itself)
Hallertau Aroma Flowers to around 20 IBU

Wyeast 1056 American Ale fermented cool, under 17
Or a good candidate for WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast maybe.

Short crisp lagering for about a week at -1

Has anyone had success using Vienna in ales? I'm looking for a very clean finish to highlight the malt, with as little fruitiness as possible.

Bribie, I've had success with 100% Vienna, Magnum and halletauer Mittelfreu to approx 22 IBU's, using Craftbrewer's Swiss lager yeast @ 12 degC, and lagered for only a week. Mashed low, it is a real session beer at around 4 % abv.

Regards

That's a thought. I've got a twin pack of CB Swiss Lager in the fridge. Did you get any sulphur problems with such a short process? I get plagued with bloody rotten egg which is one reason I'm not impressed with lager making.

You could use a Euro ale, Kolsch, Cry Havoc etc those kind of dual breed yeasts.

Was gonna say the same as Sam, Holgate's Mt.Macedon ale is great! Your recipe looks the good if you ask me!

I've used the swiss lager quite a few times now and for me it rarely throws sulfur. I say rarely because the last batch i did with it threw a little sulfur, but that yeast had been used back to back for six months then recultured from a bottle, so the yeast probably wasn't in the best condition.

When starting from fresh yeaszt i've always found it super clean... and quick to boot.

That's a thought. I've got a twin pack of CB Swiss Lager in the fridge. Did you get any sulphur problems with such a short process? I get plagued with bloody rotten egg which is one reason I'm not impressed with lager making.

No sulphur as yet, Bribie. With a 14 day turnaround, its a bit of a gammin lager, but popular with the masses, and tasty too.
Have a double batch in the boil as I type.
Regards

Bribie - I made a 100% Vienna ale a couple of years ago using WY1007 and BSaaz flowers, which turned out very well. There's a photo here:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...438&st=1340

Its down the page a bit - there's a couple of pics there from yourself on that page too ;)

From memory I got better efficiancy than I expected so it ended up with an OG of 1056 or so, and it finished a little high at 1013 or 1014. It was still suprisingly light and drinkable at that FG, but if I did it again I would use 5% sugar to thin and dry it a bit.

Well worth doing for something a little bit different.

Bribie, i did a dark ale with wey vienna a while ago. It was delicious!!. Think i just used choc, and a little crystal, and would have definately used an english yeast. Num nums

you've inspired me Bribie. I've just ordered a bag of Vienna, rather than JW trad from the next Melb bulk buy. It's time to try it myself.

I make a 100% Vienna malt ale with hallertau hops. It goes down pretty well. I mash a 65 and target 20 ibus. Ferment out with s04

I think a lot of people think Vienna malt is like munich when they're really to different beasts. I find vienna leaves a lovely sweetness to a beer while munich is more bready.

I've made an AIPA with all vienna and maybe 2 or 3% standard crystal. Mashed on the cool side. Columbus all the way. Turned out great and plan to do again soon.

i get a real honey sweet flavour from JW Vienna. Havent used the Wey Vienna for ages because it didnt have this pronounced honeyish quality. A little bit of vienna in a golden ale goes along way.

By comparison, with that in mind, iv always put munich in the more bready, grainy basket, actually. Anyone else got opinions on the difference between munich and vienna?

I make a 100% Vienna malt ale with hallertau hops. It goes down pretty well. I mash a 65 and target 20 ibus. Ferment out with s04

Hey megs80 do you have a recipe for this beer?

I tried a Vienna at grain and grape once and it was NICE!

I can't seem to find any Vienna recipes on the database?

Hey Bribie,
I have done a 100% vienna Ale with Hallertau NZ Aroma Hops. I used US-05. Bloody tasty drop, goes down a treat. IBU's about 25. OG 1.038 I was too lazy to do a yeast starter. I love vienna malt it has a great flavour. I can drop the BSM on the thread when I get home if you want.
Enjoy
Chucka

I've made Andrews Vienna but used US-05 and kept the temp at 16-17. Comes out a pretty decent drop and no need to wait for a lager.

QldKev

You can make a pretty decent altbier with a good whack of vienna.

Some pils, some munich and some noble hops, well bitterred, well flavoured. 1007.

Still keep cool and cold condition.

There are a few Vienna malts around, some reasonbly different, so when talking about Vienna Malt I think people should be mentioning which one they used.
The JWM one will give a considerably different result then the Weyermann one Bribie linked to in his first post, many malts being called Vienna would be suitable for 100% whilst some maybe not. There is also other Vienna malts available in Australia imported from both Bestmalz and Globalmalt, you would expect those products to be closer to the Weyermann then the JWM. That is at least how I remember JWM Vienna, it went by the name of Wendouree gold for a period, not sure if this is the same product now.

There was one available long ago from Hoefner which was great for using at 100%, not sure whatever happened to that company.

I didn't realise they did a similar malt in Australia, but we aren't in JW country up here B) - yes the base malt thing, I'd tend to put a bit of something with spare diastase in the mash just to be sure. Thanks for all the recipes and suggestions, I have some NZ Hallertau aroma flowers and use them first up. Also that new San Diego Super yeast is hammering a wheat beer like you wouldn't believe, pitched yesterday morning and already bulging the cling wrap, so I reckon a Vienna will be next cab off the rank with that (supposedly) super clean yeast.

Back