Vienna Saaz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezza79

Reaction score
about a week ago there was a very nice looking simple vienna recipe using only from memory vienna malt and saaz hops......i cant find it on here anymore and cant remember who's post it was. would love to try it. was it yours and what was the recipe?

jez

May well have been mine:

vienna1Large.jpg

I only had 5k of Vienna so I slipped in an extra .5 of pils to bring it to the required strength but next time I'll just go all Vienna.

Vienna Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.500
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.21 %
Colour (SRM): 6.1 (EBC): 12.0
Bitterness (IBU): 26.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Vienna (90.91%)
0.500 kg Pilsner Barrett Burston (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
60.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes. Mashout 78
Fermented at 11C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

--------------------
Next Bulk buy I'm tempted to get a sack. Those Saaz come through brilliantly even just with the one addition.

that be the one,
thanks mate next on my list

May well have been mine:

vienna1Large.jpg

I only had 5k of Vienna so I slipped in an extra .5 of pils to bring it to the required strength but next time I'll just go all Vienna.

Vienna Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.500
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.21 %
Colour (SRM): 6.1 (EBC): 12.0
Bitterness (IBU): 26.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Vienna (90.91%)
0.500 kg Pilsner Barrett Burston (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
60.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes. Mashout 78
Fermented at 11C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

--------------------
Next Bulk buy I'm tempted to get a sack. Those Saaz come through brilliantly even just with the one addition.
[/quote]

did one today with:

100% vienna
1hr @ 65
1hr @ 72 - pulled 1/3 for MO decoction (first evar)
~1hr @ 78

80 min boil
hersbrucker (30g @ 60, 20g @ 20) & tettnang (20g @ 20)

mashed so long as i was a) looking after a 6 month old screaming child, and b.) was trialling my new herms unit on a 21L batch before i unleash it on a triple batch...it is so awesome to be able to press a few buttons and 10mins later the system is at the next mash step! no more hand pumping for me - well, in the brewery anyway

i was kinda sad when the hops went in coz i couldn't smell the malt anymore

sorry for the cool story, i just had to share

Yup I've never tried Tett or Hersbrucker, maybe I should get some in as the Hallertau has been very very dull the last couple of years. Got some Saphir but that's turned out competent but more suited to megapils brews.

as far as i know, it is that 'bat shit' smell, and spicy taste that you get with pure blonde. could never quite put my finger on that aroma, but in summer when driving at dusk on the bruce past the tip at nambour, BAM! fkn bats everywhere and they stink like all get-out. drive past there with your windows open, then go to the bottle-o and get a stubby - you will know what i mean

that being said, PB is my go to beer as it is the blandest, most unoffensive beer i can find at a price i am comfortable with

You could be referring to mousecage? If you have ever kept mice as pets (not normal in Australia but common where I come from) or know anyone who has, then mousecage is instantly recognisable. That's what you get in XXXX and VB and I can replicate it perfectly using Barrett Burston Pils malt and Danish Yeast fermented mid-teens.

Went up the street to the Bribie Pub this afternoon and played the pokies (netted $50) with SWMBO and had a couple of schooners of heavy which were my first beers of the day, and instant mousezilla.

awesome work, your shout? i know what you mean about that mousecage, but hersbrucker is a different beast all together - unless it is just a CUB thing, and not hop related at all

finally found the dead mouse in the garage/brewery last week that had been giving me that XXXX aroma for a few weeks. it had maggots...damn near vomited everywhere

sounds good, just waiting for my lb of saaz to arrive from niko's and im off to cb

Latest posts

Back