Video Games

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sold on no mans sky yet. It sounds cool and the first hours will probably be amazing. But seems like it might be too big. Like it will get repetitive quick.

I tried a recent Metal Gear Solid a coupla years ago after doing a few many years ago. No good for me. I hated the sneaking.

I'm too impatient I think.

I think it was beyond 4 days of gameplay.

My proudest moment was my tiered power armor " garage". Complete with a bar.

mongey said:
I'm not sold on no mans sky yet. It sounds cool and the first hours will probably be amazing. But seems like it might be too big. Like it will get repetitive quick.
That pretty much sums up most games I play. Very few hold my attention for too long but I'm hoping this one will make the grade. So far, it's looking pretty good, but I thought that about The Division too.

431neb said:
I tried a recent Metal Gear Solid a coupla years ago after doing a few many years ago. No good for me. I hated the sneaking.

I'm too impatient I think.
I've never been a stealth fan either, except for Tenchu. The Phantom Pain is far less stealth based. More a sandpit, third person military shooter. Go stealth, go loud or sit 200m away on a hill with a .50cal. A huge amount of depth to the game compared to a lot of others out there. There's a bit of Japanese manga thrown in too which doesn't detract from the game.

I don't wanna get too creepy but - video game wise .... There is a quiet satisfaction in a sniper rifle...

That said I'm also s huge fan of a rocket launcher!!

Jesus,that was a show stopper! I didn't say I wanna start an Isis Scout group ffs.

I've hit 300 light for any lurking Destiny fans.

WB - get online and buy a copy, I'll help you level.

Hey y'all, shameless plug for my mate's new retro gaming console, RetroKing Gaming. He's spent the last four years spec'ing and building retro consoles and cabinets and decided to go commercial. It's a sweet unit with pretty much any retro game you want. Unfortunately he's only on FB at the moment, but if you aren't on FB and want more info PM me and I can put you in touch with him.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013258686611

Mods, remove if I'm being naughty. But other than friendship I have no affiliation with this company.

Iron force ( tank battles ) is my game of choice,but I keep running out of fuel and along comes some cheeky bugga with a bigger tank and gun !

Online from the App store.

Mardoo said:
Hey y'all, shameless plug for my mate's new retro gaming console, RetroKing Gaming. He's spent the last four years spec'ing and building retro consoles and cabinets and decided to go commercial. It's a sweet unit with pretty much any retro game you want. Unfortunately he's only on FB at the moment, but if you aren't on FB and want more info PM me and I can put you in touch with him.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013258686611

Mods, remove if I'm being naughty. But other than friendship I have no affiliation with this company.
I like the classics and can never understand all the fuss over the new stuff. Whats the Battlefield series got that Pong hasn't?

pong.jpeg

I used to play my fair share of video games but since having kids (and hence no time to play games, nor able to play violent games which represent most of the ones I like) it's really died off. I've tried a few of the new games but to be honest they just don't seem to have the charm or appeal any more. Graphics, sound, physics, connectivity etc. is all staggeringly good but just goes to show that fun is not all about technology. Or goes to show that I don't know what fun is.
On the newer systems though there are some gems. Of note on the PS3 apart from Fallout 3 and all the other usual suspects -
  • Braid - simple 2D platformer but is based around some really awesome concepts of time (like time travels forward if you are running to the right and backward if you are running to the left). On one level a creature is trying to talk to you but you need to keep running away for it to speak, all the while asking where you are going. Eerie. The ending however is as close to genius as I've seen in a game. It's literally worth buying just to witness the ending.
  • Limbo - brilliantly put together puzzle platformer that is simple, but very elegantly designed. Stunning artistic approach that makes for a very sombre and dare I say moving experience. Turn off the lights and crank up the sub.
On my son's Wii U I bought The Swapper which is available on other systems. Well worth the price. The whole game was modelled in clay and gets you thinking. Again the ending... it was crushing. I dreaded it. Really well done.

I personally keep going back to the old systems now if I want to play games. The Resident Evil series is probably the 2nd best series made, particularly the GameCube versions (original remake, Zero and RE4 is one of the greatest ever) and the original PlayStation series.
You can always come back to Zelda on the Wii. Link to the Past on virtual console, Windwaker is exceptional, and Twilight Princess doesn't miss a beat. I've also got the Ocarina of Time but couldn't really get into it.
The real winner though is Metroid. Super Metroid is one of the most deep and replayable games ever made - also on virtual console. I've probably finished it 10-15 times, it never gets old. The handheld variants Zero Mission and Fusion are held in high regard. Metroid Prime on the GameCube is in my opinion the best game of all time and I don't think it'll be topped for me. There's nothing like it. The sequels were also brilliant (particularly the 2nd) but the original Prime is in a class of its own.

I have all these games which I know are good that I still enjoy playing. I can't justify getting more. The old games are more crude and simpler but were all made so that not everyone could finish it. Remember when games used to be hard? I remember finishing Alex Kidd or Sonic for the first time, it was an achievement. R-Type is my favourite side scroller but I've never even made it to the last level, let alone finish it (even on my MAME cabinet with unlimited coins). Could you imagine that these days? Kids would go "pff! Too hard, not wasting my time with this" and move on the the next game. Games are designed with the expectation they'll get finished. Stuffs them up in my opinion, I'm gonna stick with the old series which are dependable, boot straight up when you turn them on and don't have a per-pubescent geek shouting "rofl" and breathing heavily through their mic.

I've put like 30 hours into Far Cry 4 over the last month or 2, Exploring every little bit of Kyrat
And I'm still a fair way from the end...
I've captured every bell tower, captured almost all outposts and only have Yuma's fortress to go.
Once I got the Buzzsaw machine gun, nothing was very challenging anymore
I took Pagan's fortress last night, I failed a couple of times, but once I knocked out the alarms and had plenty of health syringes, I just mowed through all the troops with the Buzzsaw.

Limbo was cool. However, only had to run half way across the screen on the first level to realise I couldn't play it while the kids were around. And them spiders...

If I had to pick my favourite game it'd have to be UFO: Enemy Unknown. I played that game for hours on end when it came out in the nineties and would keep coming back to it year after year.
While impressed with the games they're churning out nowadays I find they lack depth and I lose interest pretty quickly and use them mainly as a distraction from all the reality shows and crap on TV. Either that or I'm finally growing up but my wife would rule that one out.

WarmerBeer said:
The Witcher 3

/thread
I won't get past the Ciri/steam bath level.

Camo6 said:
I won't get past the Ciri/steam bath level.
Pffft! That's the easy part.

Brunette or redhead? That's the real moral quandary.

All time favourite was Wings by Cinematic on the Amiga. Had a A2000 way BITD, with over a 1000 cracked games (Nintendo and Sega etc) as well as Amiga originals. Loved it, went a long way to preserving what was left of my sanity at the time. Managed to clock Wings twice, Superfrog was anjother favourite, Wings of Fury , Pang, PGA Tour Golf (Euro tour as well). Others.

Latest posts

Back