Victorian Breweries (Outside Melb)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kixbooty

Reaction score
Hey, so we are heading to Victoria for a week in late July and we're looking for some cool places to go, specifically in the country and even more specifically with good beer.

It's been really hard to find any good breweries that have interesting beers.

We especially like really hoppy beers, mostly American pales and IPAs. Most of the breweries we can find seem to have pretty basic beer styles.

Apart from beers I'm looking to find some interesting places to visit as well.

Can any Victorians help me out?

Thanks!

Holgate -woodend
Jamieson - jamieson
Red Hill - mornington

As already stated head down to Mornington and visit Mornington Peninsula Brewery in Watt st. Nice beer garden to sit on a sunny afternoon.
Then head further down the Moorooduc exit at the Red Hill turn off and go to Hickinbotham Winery which also brew their own beer.

After that head to Red Hill Brewery But..... they are no longer open regularly but do open for special events from time to time, so you should phone them and see what they have on at the time your going. Then if you need to please the missus head to Red Hill Cheese and the chocolate shop in Hastings.

Heading up towards central Vic you have

Black Dog winery near Glen Rowan
Bridge Road brewers in Beechworth
Sweetwater brewery in Mount Beauty
Bright brewery in Bright

(I would give Buffalo brewery a miss.)

In Gippsland there is Grand Ridge Brewery in Mirboo and further out in Eastern Vic near Lakes Entrance in Bruthern is Bullant Brewery, (If your heading out that way) You go through Bruthern on the way to Buchan caves which is worth a trip if your into that sort of thing.

Google Victorian Microbreweries and the first one should be a pdf pamphlet on microbreweries in Vic. (I cant link it as Ive tried before)

CH31, WarmBeer. I don't think they've got anything on the tubes, either. They'll be selling episodes on their own webpage soon though because I don't know why they think that'll work.

Just thought a counter-point to a recurring suggestion above might be worthwhile - Mornington Peninsula Brewery make fine beers but I am not certain how nice of a holiday a trip to an industrial area just outside of Melbourne's suburbs might be. If the trip is all about beer then go for it, otherwise all the other suggestions are better.

[EDIT: making sense is good]

there from Perth it'll just be like home :D

Truman said:
Then if you need to please the missus head to Red Hill Cheese and the chocolate shop in Hastings.
Hahah I AM the missus! :p

I've read that pdf file before and it's not very useful :/ but thankyou!!

bum said:
Just thought a counter-point to a recurring suggestion above might be worthwhile - Mornington Peninsula Brewery make fine beers but I am not certain how nice of a holiday a trip to an industrial area just outside of Melbourne's suburbs might be. If the trip is all about beer then go for it, otherwise all the other suggestions are better.
I didnt realise mornington was industrial? i thought it was quite a nice area???

mxd said:
there from Perth it'll just be like home :D
Oi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

thanks heaps for all your suggestions! I'm going to start planning it now :)

Mornington isnt industrial and is a very nice coastal town which is now more like an outer suburb. But MPB is situated in the industrial area of Mornington. A nice brewery to go and visit and have a few beers and a wood fired pizza. But then head into Mornington itself.

Late July, dude. Late July.

Mornington is a nice town but that wind up Main st in winter? MPB don't even make enough beer to get me to deal with that on purpose.

bum said:
Late July, dude. Late July.

Mornington is a nice town but that wind up Main st in winter? MPB don't even make enough beer to get me to deal with that on purpose.
Yeh you've got a good point there Bum. Bloody freezing up main street for most of winter now that I think about it.

Have you been to Mornington? There's a reason to endure the cold up Woodend way. Even adds a certain charm (maybe).

:icon_offtopic: been to mornington and phillip island in winter and also bright in winter..It's cold like i have my beer

kixbooty
victoria around where you are touring can get very cold in some places it get's below 1 deg during the night some pack some warm clothes..Enjoy..

Latest posts

Back