VICBREW 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
syl said:
They are mailed out by martin, you will get hem next week. Now you know to enter online! :p
If you really can't wait, create a CompMaster account and PM me your username and entry numbers and I'll see if I have time to hook it together before I disappear for a week...

Andyd said:
Folks,

I've just finished uploading all the scoresheets onto CompMaster, so if you entered online you should be able to log in and download yours now.

Cheers!

Andy
I only seem to have score sheets from 2 judges on comp master for both of my entries?

Capture.PNG

MartinOC said:
The Specialties panel consisted of only two judges.
Ahh, okay then, thanks. So how do they work out the score?

Add the 2 scores together then divide by 2 and that's the 3 rd judge

Just out of curiosity.....

Have been looking at some of the other state comps results and notice the use a Gold, Silver, Bronze medal system as well as the awards for placings.

Why doesn't Vicbrew use medals as well?

It would be pretty cool (especially for the non place winners) to be able claim "I produced a Gold/Silver/Bronze medal beer"

GrumpyPaul said:
Just out of curiosity.....

Have been looking at some of the other state comps results and notice the use a Gold, Silver, Bronze medal system as well as the awards for placings.

Why doesn't Vicbrew use medals as well?

It would be pretty cool (especially for the non place winners) to be able claim "I produced a Gold/Silver/Bronze medal beer"
Like 120+ = gold?
100-120 = silver? etc?

syl said:
Like 120+ = gold?
100-120 = silver? etc?
this taken from recent QLD results thread.

Medals are awarded based on scores - 30-38 Bronze, 38-45 Silver, 45+ Gold.

I assume that is based on score out of 50

We did try certificates for well-scoring non-placegetters a few years ago, but can't remember why it wasn't adopted as an ongoing thing (logistics & mailing perhaps?).

I'll bring it up as a discussion point at the next committee meeting.

Depending on the recognition provided - it might add to entry costs.

A couple of bucks (guessing) for an actual medal - or a single buck for a certificate and postage could get costly.

Just had a look at the results again, this year there would have been.

191 Bronzes
56 Silvers
2 Golds

(gee we make good beer in Victoria)

On the other hand what is the value to the brewing community???

It could be argued that people inherently like to get recognised when they do well - a bit of recognition and encouragement will most likely spur someone on to enter again and/or submit more entries. More entries provide for a better and stronger comp which is good for Vicbrew and good for "brewing".

There have been a few post of guys that were chuffed as a new brewer (or very old returning brewers - not pointing at anyone Martin) and you can see/hear their increased enthusiasm for the hobby in their posts that the recognition has generated.

Pleased to hear it will at least get considered/discussed by the committee.

You're not comparing apples to apples when using absolute scores.

For instance, a score of 106.5 in Brown Ale got you 16th place, while the same score in stout would net you a 1st. Does this mean that almost half the Brown Ales were technically better than all the Stouts?

I know this system has some cross-over into the CBOS scoring, but some judges simply score 'harder'

We didn't get a certificate or anything down here (which I did in Qld). It's just that the beers had a 'medal' for the purpose of clarifying how good it was (or wasn't).

It costs less in Qld for entry (and they post to the Nationals for free) and you do get one.

I suppose it's one of those things - if you can (this is the accountant in me) tighten costs in other areas, issuing certificates shouldn't be a major drama cost-wise.

I'd better clarify.

Qld costs less than Tassie (but Tassie does have to bring in a judge) and Tassie doesn't foot the entry cost of qualifying entries - we have to do that separately. I could have had the entries sent from launceston, but the fuel is worth more than the postage fee from here.

just wondering- I haven't received my judging scoresheets?

g

Latest posts

Back