Vicbrew 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wha Matt??!! I served all the beers on that table, no mixups for the brown ales as far as I remember. Hmnnnnn. I did serve the pilsner ppl a wrong one (too many poured jugs there at the one point :S) by mistake so I was being EXTRA careful :p

I think the pilsner people got a bock, I thought brendo was judging the pilsner ?

I think the pilsner people got a bock, I thought brendo was judging the pilsner ?
lol.. I'm guilty on that count, luckily I was very sober and trying to pour reasonable amounts into glasses.. hehe

No, the talk of Irish and Scottish ales had me start thinking... hmnn.. that was in the browns category.. hmnnnn..

Seems a few people didnt keep any xtra beer (me included) in some categories. I kept 2nds of the beers I thought would go well and didnt bother much for beers I required feedback, as is beer comps,my opinion and Murphys law guess what...... :lol:
On the flipside I get a gig in pale lager due to Champion Brewer not having any..........
Who else surprised themself and were found wanting for that 2nd tasting?

Good luck all us Vic`s !! :icon_cheers: :beerbang: and hopefully we can give the Canberra boys and the other states a good run for their money.

Yes I was quite un-organised, didn't think I'd go so well so now just have the one beer in and it was safely dropped off at G&G today. I actaully didn't drink the last few bottles of my IIPA, I gave one to Manticle who won the lotto and the other went to Jayse who won the Supercoach, so Im glad at least they went to good homes and were (hopefully) enjoyed. Have to admit though, I did think I had a few more left. Good luck everyone in the Nats.

Minutes after posting the above, my glass arrived in the mail. But no judging sheet yet.

The glass is awesome though ^_^

Nationals on a Thursday <_< , hmmm no wonder the call has gone out for stewards. Thursday FFS....................

@Pennywise, I missed out on the IPA cat, looong story but not happy about it, just another variable of competition brewing I guess.

Nationals on a Thursday <_< , hmmm no wonder the call has gone out for stewards. Thursday FFS....................

@Pennywise, I missed out on the IPA cat, looong story but not happy about it, just another variable of competition brewing I guess.
hey if i had of been asked to judge on thursday i would have taken the day off for that.

Sorry to hear that Haysie, hope we are better organised next year :icon_cheers:

I have been told all judging sheets have gone out. I received mine OK today.
Seems to be an emphasis that people need to get involved so please do next year if you can. Its a huge competition as far as state goes let alone the vrs the others @nats. Come on Vic`s you dont want to set them Canbeeera`s on their ass? Of course you do........... so get brewing and get involved.
As a state we probably let ourselves down a little by lack of participation. The organisers in particular Mark Hibberd with his tiresome callup for help was belting his head against the wall. The replay grand final certainly didnt help either.
Thanks all you committee at Vicbrew, a job well done!

I got mine as well. My scores were a 37.5, a 37 and a 31. Not that I'm fussed about the differential in scores, it just goes to show how beer is a subjective thing. The feedback was appreciated, lots to work on for next time.

Thanks again to all involved. I'll have to volunteer to steward next year. Damn GF replay ruined any chance of that this year.

Got my score sheets yesterday. Thanks to all the judges for their commentary, there's some good feedback for me that I'm sure wil help my brewing. One thing that stood out for me, and I had 5 beers, was that scoring for each beer was remarkably consistent - so from that I take comfort that the feedback is accurate if 3 judges say the same thing. Its only a problem when ALL 3 judges said my oatmeal stout tasted "solventy - acetone". Not great, but for sure I need to work on this.

Whilst I will (grudgingly) accept feedback on the oatmeal stout, I was somewhat astonished by the feedback on my English Strong Ale. Both judges (I only got 2 score sheets for some reason) both noted brett in the old ale. Now I've toyed with the idea, but never got around to trying out Brettanomyces. And if this was somehow an accidental infection, then surely some of my other beers would have had some Brett infection as well. Anyway, is Brett commonly carried around as an airborne infection? What other vectors are there for it? All I can think is that:
a. Judges coomonly expectb to find breet in English strong ale, so will find it regardless
b. Judges mistook treacle (about 400g) for Brett.

Anyway, don't want to complain, judges and stewards did a lot of hard work so hats off to them.

I got mine as well. My scores were a 37.5, a 37 and a 31. Not that I'm fussed about the differential in scores, it just goes to show how beer is a subjective thing. The feedback was appreciated, lots to work on for next time.
I got an interesting spread of scores as well. Having 2 entries in the stout category, I noticed one judge scored particularly harder than the other 2.

For the body component of my Oatmeal stout, I got a 4.5/5, 4/5 and a 2/5. That's a 40-50% proportional difference for the same component of the same beer.

Now, I'm not being critical of the judging, as taste is subjective, and these guys do a fantastic, and voluntary, job. Just wondering, are the scores prepared in isolation, or is it a collaborative effort?

Back