Vicbrew 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was a good day on Sat. Got to try some new beers and get a bit of an insight as to how beer comps are run and beers judged.

"I'd say that this isn't the colour I'd expect for a cherry... its more like rasberry"

"No, rasberry is paler"

Its supposed to be 10 mins per flight, and these guys were arguing about the colour of cherry!

Nah, seriously it was all good fun and I learnt heaps and it felt good that I got to contribute, at least a little bit, to the running of a beer comp.

You talking about Specialty beer flights Simon?
Yeah, it was interesting though. Probably due to the types of beers, a little longer should have been expected.

On a brighter note: Mike Hewes' and my Partial/Coopers Kit Oatmeal Stout that we brewed for Melbourne Brewers "Get Your Kit off" comp scored equal with 1st and just missed out from overall impression. Bloody ripper!

Results have been emailed out. Congrats to all place getters. It would be good to see the judges sheets so I can know where to pick up my game for next time.

Results
View attachment FullResultsVicBrew2010_v1_1_.pdf

what a pisser. one of my old full extract beers placed higher than another one of my AG recipes. admittedly is was cat 18 so its a mixed bag of beers.
Im also pissed there isnt enough time to brew a fresher version of my irish red for nats. oh well.

congrats to all places geters and to all entrants.

WOOT! my strong stout got a 2nd place, only my 4th AG, and BIAB no-chill as well. I'm well chuffed. :D

also thanks to all the stewards and judges who signed up.

Ye gods. I won.

I get to go brew at Red Duck. My Belgian Golden Strong actually clinched it.

(picks jaw off floor - no emoticon for this one - totally shocked - and an amazing prize)

Well done all who entered, and assisted with this event.

Go Vics at nationals! :beerbang:

Hopping Angus

Ye gods. I won.

Congratulations HoppingMad, awesome work! :super:

Thanks to all the organisers, judges and stewards. This was my first ever comp (unfortunately I couldn't attend) and I really appreciate all the effort folks put in to make this event happen.

Threepwood

Ye gods. I won.

(picks jaw off floor - no emoticon for this one - totally shocked - and an amazing prize)

Hopping Angus

Well done mate - well deserved!!

Congrats Angus, you must be chuffed man. I am also chuffed 3rd in Amber & Dark Lager and 3rd in IIPA. My Strong Stout came in as expected, last, but hey, couldn't expect much from a 3 Can and 2 weeks in the bottle :lol:

Congrats to all who bettered their beers from last year, I feel as though I certainly did, and confirmation was in the numbers. Good job everyone

Ye gods. I won.

Hopping Angus

well done. I heard it was a superb.

Hopefully with the good spread of placegetters (championbrewer 6points) Top work Angus! the numbers will improve re. judging and stewarding.
Well done everyone!
Well done MXD, winning the American Pale :icon_cheers:

ye ye.. yes, we all had a taste :) congrats mate.. v awesome

I assume the results sheets get posted out over the next week or so...

Very interested in the feedback, so I can start working on my next attempt.

Well done MXD, winning the American Pale :icon_cheers:

thanks Haysie, it was a total surprise. I looked for my result 4 times and thought it was lost, it was only when I searched for my name I found it as 1st, had to ring the wife and have a moment to myself :)

thanks Haysie, it was a total surprise. I looked for my result 4 times and thought it was lost, it was only when I searched for my name I found it as 1st, had to ring the wife and have a moment to myself :)
Was this the same batch, or same recipe, as the one you put in the last case swap?

Remember it being a good beer. Wish I'd held on to it so I could tell the wife "try this award winning beer" :beer:

Was this the same batch, or same recipe, as the one you put in the last case swap?

Remember it being a good beer. Wish I'd held on to it so I could tell the wife "try this award winning beer" :beer:
it was iteration 5 of that beer, some changes around lower mash, lots of late hoping, better yeast managent and fermentation :)

The swap one was a corker. Well done MXD. (and the other winners, whose beers I haven't tried :().

woo hoo. Pretty happy with my results. Best I did was a 6th with the other two smack bang in the middle. As a first ever comp I'll take that. Looking forward to the score sheets to see where I might tweak these ones next time. Noticed some familiar names from the swap that I placed above, so that was nice :ph34r: :D

Back