Vic Xmas Case Swap 2010 - Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unlike our lunatic South Australian brudder and the sparkling ale, the alcohol warmth is similar. No pears or esters here though.
Poured well with an even laciness on the glass thruout. Initial taste, alcohol is hot and a little overwhelming. For a beer of 6%+ that hasnt been in a bottle too long I am not surprised. Bitterness is assertive and matches the profile, malt is weak though (a typical us05 trait imo). Something tells me my head aint gotta like those fusels tomorrow morning. Its a well made beer that has a bit of shit about it. I like it!
Thx

14. Don Mateo

Cracked it and smelt prior to pour. Reminds me of that schofferhofer aroma, loved it. NOM NOM NOM

Colour was spot on, slight haziness which you would expect. Silky around the tounge. Hints of bubblegum/banana and slight lemon zest.

Mate this is a cracker. Love it, will definatley be brewing this over the next few weeks. I will PM you when i am ready and you should come around as you are only around the corner right?

Thx for Leigh`s signature, I can look up what I am drinking,

Nice on the first pour, lacks the carb bite that I associate with a saison. Most definitly a well attentuated beer nonetheless, crisp dry finish. Lovely yeast profile, not phenolic not estery yet still has a very belgian characteristic about it. I could drink this til tomorrow, maybe up the carbonation a volume or 2.
Great beer!
Thx

8. Fourstar - Kentucky Common Mk II

If I was to sum this up in one line it would be sweet malty and easy drinking.

Maybe not want you want to hear but never the less very pleasant. Also this bottle was still a little on the soft side, so there is a good chance that I drank it too early.

Copper colour slightly cloudy. Medium low carbination

Malt sweetness background hop aroma flavour much of the same with a very full mouth feel and some background bitterness to round it all out.

Probably not a quaffing beer, but very refeshing on this teppid summer evening.

Thanks Fourstar

Thx for Leigh`s signature, I can look up what I am drinking,

Nice on the first pour, lacks the carb bite that I associate with a saison. Most definitly a well attentuated beer nonetheless, crisp dry finish. Lovely yeast profile, not phenolic not estery yet still has a very belgian characteristic about it. I could drink this til tomorrow, maybe up the carbonation a volume or 2.
Great beer!
Thx

Thanks Haysie ... agree the carbonation is way down for the style. Have not been able to crack high carbonation from CPBFing yet. BTW I still have your vicbrew bling collecting dust at my place.

3. WarmBeer - Zulu Sioux

Had this one last night... what a cracker of a beer!

Poured a thick, dense head. It sort of reminded me of a hefe head. I over poured and it just kept going up, rather than spilling over the sides. Colour was a decent shade of black, which was to be expected.

Got a hint of citrus and a bit of roastiness in the aroma. A hint of roastiness in the flavour, followed by a firm bitterness that I'd expect from an AIPA. Carbonation was spot on. Mate, I really enjoyed this one. Went down a real treat as it had a sort of smoothness/slickness as well as the hoppiness I've come to love from IPA's.

Top work, WB! Will have to have a crack at this one methinks.

Edit: Just had a look at the recipe and saw that you used the carafa special II. That's the de-husked one isn't it? That would explain the smoothness if so

3. WarmBeer - Zulu Sioux
<snip>
Edit: Just had a look at the recipe and saw that you used the carafa special II. That's the de-husked one isn't it? That would explain the smoothness if so
Yes, that is correct, I used the Carafa Spec II to avoid as much tannic/roast flavour as possible. I still think I added too much, and would probably drop it down by a quarter next time around (and oh yes, there will be a next time around)

This time around, I milled the Carafa seperately, and about 3 times through the mill, to try to get it as small particles as possible. I added it to my mash tun in the last 15 mins of the sacch rest.

I've heard an even better way is to grind the Carafa in a food processor or coffee grinder until it is basically dust, then cold-steep in a couple of litres of water overnight, strain, and add directly to your kettle.

I've heard an even better way is to grind the Carafa in a food processor or coffee grinder until it is basically dust, then cold-steep in a couple of litres of water overnight, strain, and add directly to your kettle.
Hmmmm. May have to try this one.

Thanks Haysie ... agree the carbonation is way down for the style. Have not been able to crack high carbonation from CPBFing yet. BTW I still have your vicbrew bling collecting dust at my place.

I think this was my problem this swap too, a bit more acidity from carbonation does the Irish Red wonders. Cracked two spares of my contribution last night, one was flat, the other was a bit better, but still not properly carbed :(

ok I've done a few and the memory is not good :)

But here's my memory
--

8 4* no or very low carbonation, it was malty and sweet, maybe sweetness from no carbonation ?, not too sure what I was meant to expect and assume the lack of carbonation has given it a flavor not expected, I should have remembered to squeeze the bottle. There was certainly no off flavors in the beer.

11 Cocko Dark Pale Ale, good head, clear, good carb, maybe a little dry, it had an alcohol burning feeling to it. OVerall a good beer, thanks

3 WarmBeer - Zulu Sioux, I never know what to expect with the Black AIPA's, this was very nice, the balance seemed perfect, it didn't have the bitterness that I was expecting. Good Beer, thanks

#7 Love it, aroma is toffee biscuit, taste is hmmm but hasnt got a bubble in it. Serve an awesome beer flat.. no one will drink it.Then again....................
It was great, clean, a little too sweet but that was as things warmed up. Not sure of if any... style but I didnt like the no carb thing. I love this beer and am still tasting ambers and crystals when maybe they shouldnt be so dominant, I reckon you did a super job on this beer.......... i can taste good brewer.
7 MeLoveBeer - Irish Ale
MLB, I had yours last night and agree with haysie here. Was a nice beer and I drank it still. I had a bit of medium roastiness and it was a tad on the sweet side. Colour was dark brown to red.

Like I said, downright tasty. Would have been better with a tad more carbonation. There was something in there, only just though. Will be interesting to try Leigh's tonight to compare.

7 MeLoveBeer - Irish Ale
MLB, I had yours last night and agree with haysie here. Was a nice beer and I drank it still. I had a bit of medium roastiness and it was a tad on the sweet side. Colour was dark brown to red.

Like I said, downright tasty. Would have been better with a tad more carbonation. There was something in there, only just though. Will be interesting to try Leigh's tonight to compare.

Can I ask if it was totally flat or just low carb? Am thinking that I miscalculated my bulk priming amounts (calculated based on my crash chilling temp and I think its where I screwed up), but I've had bottles from the same batch that carbed up (so maybe its just a lucky dip?)

7. MLB - Irish Red

I agree with others, carbonation was very low.

Slightly sweet which compliments the roasted malt character. Low level Hop biterness, which made it a little too dry on the finish.

Overall a good beer, carbonation was the only down side. Cheers.

I think this was my problem this swap too, a bit more acidity from carbonation does the Irish Red wonders. Cracked two spares of my contribution last night, one was flat, the other was a bit better, but still not properly carbed :(

How carbed was the beer in the first place Leigh? I have found you lose a bit thru headspace but if the beer is as cold as ice and carbed to the level you want, all should be good. I have had a few issues when first purchasing a CPBF i.e beer in eyes hair face and roof. It took me a while to grasp it, the tip I can offer is get the beer down to near ice 2deg and chill your bottles.

I agree with you re. lack of carbonation can really bring a beer down. CPBF certainly isnt the be all and end all of good bottling, I only purchased mine a year ago and prior to that it was bottle priming. I still get sea monkies in CPBF bottles ( i dont filter) but I am happier my beer is far more consistent with what I drink from the keg.

Now off to try a Cali Common Ale. edit. gave it a squeeze and maybe not tonite, save it for next week. Thanks for the headsup MXD

Can I ask if it was totally flat or just low carb? Am thinking that I miscalculated my bulk priming amounts (calculated based on my crash chilling temp and I think its where I screwed up), but I've had bottles from the same batch that carbed up (so maybe its just a lucky dip?)
There was some carb, but I could tell it was gonna be so by squeezing the bottle. The temp is supposed to be average ferment temp, not crash chill temp. How many grams did you add?

The temp is supposed to be average ferment temp, not crash chill temp.

Thats not what I've been reading lately... the temp relates to the amount of CO2 in solution (so the current temp of the beer at bottling). What does everyone else do?

Thats not what I've been reading lately... the temp relates to the amount of CO2 in solution (so the current temp of the beer at bottling). What does everyone else do?

Ferment temp

Latest posts

Back