[vic] - Honey Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
siphoned from here

Given the occastional interest in mead, braggot and using honey as a fermentable in beer, I'll put my hand up and organise a bulk buy (damn 1 kitten gone) for Victoria

Im currently looking at 2 suppliers.
Archibald Honey
Leawood Honey

No prices as yet. Both companies are getting back to me. They are wholesalers but will sell to the public quite happily (ive already checked that). I have absolutely no idea as to what the prices could be so this is mainly an expression of interest at the moment.

Obviously postage would be prohibitive because of the weight but if you want me arrange postage for you I can at your cost.

I'll post details when i have more.

Disclaimer: No kittens will be hurt as part of this BB.
If you dont like BB then dont comment or read this thread. simple.

... They are wholesalers but will sell to the public quite happily (ive already checked that)...
Disclaimer: No kittens will be hurt as part of this BB.
If you dont like BB then dont comment or read this thread. simple.

Just don't mention that you are affiliated with AHB, they may change their mind. :ph34r:

All joking aside, i may be interested in some of this action. Keen to see what the pricing is like.

I usually buy through Archibald...their wholesale prices were reasonable when I was going direct (been going to Safeway lately for convenience).

Depending on price, I'll get some Yellowbox.

partial update.

Leawood are sending me their wholesale prices. The retail prices are about $5.3 per kg (ie when buying 4 x 3kg tubs). Cheaper again for larger quantities. Wholsesale is cheaper again. Yes I have a have an ABN linked to food industry to qualify for wholesale prices.

Archibald Honey are still to get back to me.

From first impressions I think that the price differance between massive containers (like 27kg) and multiple 1 or 3kg containers will be small (like 30c per kg). But we will see.

Is there a specific type of honey people would be interested in?

I know a guy who knows a guy, although they are of the "{insert wood here}" variety of honey (i.e. Ironbark, etc). I'm quietly confident that he would beat any price you get, and I'll be heading out his way labour day weekend. Get back to me if you want me to follow up.

I have the prices for both Leawood & Archilbald. attached. your looking at about $4-5 per kg.

View attachment honey_prices.xls

Suprisingly the smaller packs (1 or 3kg) are the most economincal way of buying for us. The price per kg for bulk (ie 14kg or 27kg) is not a lot differant so its not worth the hassle IMO.

The 'single unit' description is the 'case' size for that price.

Bascially the leawood honey is cheaper. but only just. So its matter of whether we just want a generic honey (ie leawood only have 2 sorts of honey and doesnt say what it is) or go with archibald which has lots of sorts.

keep in mind you buy it by the case. (ie 4 1kg tubs = 1 case).

So now that we have prices, lets start the serious part. thoughts. Who wants what?

Given that honey lasts almost indefinitely, Id be in for maybe 20kg

I'd be in for 3kg of Redgum and 3kg of Orange Blossom, will make two differing meads out of them. Anyone know what the sugar/kg value is for this so I can play in Promash?

....though I wonder what "very strong" means on the Banksia.......

I thought that too, but it would be nice to try before buying, depends on its profile, it might be nice to get it and chuck a handfull of toasted oak chips in with the ferment. I cannot imagine doing that with the orange blossom variety, but if the banksia had the right flavours, it could be worth a try.

Might look around at Safeway/Coles this week and see if I can see it on the shelves.

not after an honey just offering a pervious experience with the orange blossom. its actually the stable honey in my house. goes really well in a honey ginger beer and a honey blonde.
doesnt make a bad mead or cyser ether.

Backing up the feedback on Orange blossom, very nice hoeny to eat and to brew with. I made a honey wheat with it (500gms) turned out very nice.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Safeway don't stock the Archibald varieties anymore, they only stock a "generic" Archibald honey.

I'll get 3x1.5kg of yellow box

well its sounding like archibald is the preferance so far. will wait and see.

ok lets start the dreaded list.

1. CM2 - 20kg assorted. yet to be decided
2. Fraiser John, 3kg redgum, 3kg Orange Blossom
3. Leigh, 3x1.5kg Yellow Box.

also one quick clarification. i didnt mean you individually had to buy a case, just that we as a group have to buy it by the case.

also in case anyone was sneering about not supporting a LHBS... (i recieved a PM)
- None of the AHB online sponsors stock honey (that I could see), so we arent impacting on them.
- my 'L'HBS - brewcraft sells honey @ $11.70kg. i dont think so.
- next nearest LHBS - Dave's Brew in G'Borough - doesnt sell it.
- next nearest (not really local), Brewers Den - doesnt sell.

so not impacting on anyone here. so get your orders in!

also in case anyone was sneering about not supporting a LHBS... (i recieved a PM)
- None of the AHB online sponsors stock honey (that I could see), so we arent impacting on them.
- my 'L'HBS - brewcraft sells honey @ $11.70kg. i dont think so.
- next nearest LHBS - Dave's Brew in G'Borough - doesnt sell it.
- next nearest (not really local), Brewers Den - doesnt sell.

so not impacting on anyone here. so get your orders in!

OK, can't help myself, I've been following these mead threads with interest.

I'll go in for 3kg of Orange Blossom, 3kg of Stringy Bark, and 3kg of yellow box.

Thanks for organising this CM (I can't believe you got a PM about it).

I will however support Grain and Grape and see if they'll order the Wyeast dry mead yeast for me.

Anyone ever bought mead yeast from them?

Thanks again,

James

havent bought it from them but im sure they stock it. if not they could get it in. i was thinking of getting some wyeast also.

the PM doesnt bother me. i more posted the above info to put anyones else's mind at ease.

1. CM2 - 20kg assorted. yet to be decided
2. Fraiser John, 3kg redgum, 3kg Orange Blossom
3. Leigh, 3x1.5kg Yellow Box.
4. Ronin, 3kg Orange Blossom, 3kg Stringy Bark, 3kg yellow box

Very interested, however not sure how much or what specific types yet, most likely 5-10kg that will include Orange Blossom.

I'm interested, not sure what i would get but i can certainly go 6 kilos....at that price if i don't brew it i'll eat it.... happy to do local pickup if possible orange blossom sounds nice

Latest posts

Back