[vic] Good Beer Bars In Essendon / Coburg Area

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarmBeer

Unhappy camper
Reaction score
Am meeting a mate for a couple of beers after work tomorrow night.

Do any locals in the Essendon / Strathmore / Pascoe Vale / Coburg area know of any good bars / cafe's with a good craft beer selection?

Food is a plus, but not the driving force.

Am meeting a mate for a couple of beers after work tomorrow night.

Do any locals in the Essendon / Strathmore / Pascoe Vale / Coburg area know of any good bars / cafe's with a good craft beer selection?

Food is a plus, but not the driving force.

:huh: Short answer is, I reckon you're in trouble
Longer answer is get a cab over to Brunswick (The Brunswick Green, The Retreat, The Edinburgh Castle) or even Northcotte (Northcotte Social Club) and you'll have a much better shot at it. The Terminus in Clifton Hill is probably the closest real beer place to Essendon.

3 Ravens are in Thornbury, but I dont think you can drink there.

Cheers
Polar

The above mentioned Brunswick watering holes are where you should be heading. I live in Coburg and unfortunately the pubs are far from suitable for our refined drinking tastes.....my local is my garage.

The Brunswick green has improved over the last 6 months with the owners spending some $$$ on a very nice out door beer garden. A reasonable selection of bottle beers as well as Copper, Mountain goat and Blue tongue pilsner on tap.

Essendon has an irish kit pub called O'Sullivans. Never been but you could get a pint of something there.

Coburg appears to have nada.

If you're prepared to head to somewhere like High St Northcote I reckon you'd fare better.
A link to a list of bars here, but no mention of beers:
Northcote Bars

Sadly St Arnou used to have a brewpub in Preston but that has since folded.

The guys are right, you'll fare better heading to Brunswick - or to hit the motherlode, go to Lambsgobar just off Smith St Collingwood. Has a beerlist so big it will make your head spin.

Hopper.

If you do end up heading Brunswick way there is a new bar on Sydney Rd called Bar Ettiquette which supposedly has some good beers. yet to check it out myself - was just informed by the lady.

http://www.baretiquette.com.au/ and http://www.baretiquette.com.au/Media/WINDOWMenu.pdf

Of course if you can make it to Sydney Rd it's just a hop skip and a jump to Nicholson St and Bar Fred but that's getting very far removed from Coburg.

http://www.barfred.com.au/ (website playing tricks on me at the moment). good pizza too.

Doesn't really answer your question. Maybe just head to the world beer shop in Essendon/Moonee Ponds, get whatever you want (amazing range) then sit in the back yard?

The World Beer Shop. Address: Cnr Albion & Primrose St Essendon, Vic. 3040 (03) 9370

Essendon has an irish kit pub called O'Sullivans. Never been but you could get a pint of something there.

Coburg appears to have nada.

If you're prepared to head to somewhere like High St Northcote I reckon you'd fare better.
A link to a list of bars here, but no mention of beers:
Northcote Bars

Sadly St Arnou used to have a brewpub in Preston but that has since folded.

The guys are right, you'll fare better heading to Brunswick - or to hit the motherlode, go to Lambsgobar just off Smith St Collingwood. Has a beerlist so big it will make your head spin.

Hopper.

O'Sullivans isn't the worst. I'm a dead set Guinness solider and I can drink the pint there. The Linc in Essendon Nth is OK if you are up for Carlton and a bet on the dogs/harness etc. If fact, there are a few of those types of places in the area.
But seriously, go up Sydney rd. Get a kebab at Alasya's, go to the pub, get another kebab on the way home... :D

I used to live in Strathmore, and unfortunatly there isn't much at all. O'Sullivans is a good pub, they just don't have the range us beer snobs would be looking for. At least you know you'll get a pint of Guiness, well, Aussie guiness anyway.

Edit: Personally, you couldn't pay me to drink at the Linc

But seriously, go up Sydney rd. Get a kebab at Alasya's, go to the pub, get another kebab on the way home... :D

Mmmm... Alaysia kebabs... :icon_drool2: now you're talking. Not a beer but if you could bottle one of those delicious morsels you would!

Hopper.

Thanks guys,

The Brunswick Green, followed by Bar Ettiquette it is.

Who says you can't get us South-East suburbs boys to cross the Yarra? ;)

Edit: Personally, you couldn't pay me to drink at the Linc

:lol:
yep. It's a sh*t hole. But not bad enough to go thirsty over. The Royal on Mount Rd, now that's pub I couldn't drink in. No respect in that place for a quiet beer. All pokies and bistro. Crap.
Not a great part of the Melbourne for pubs altogether. The old man used to drink in the old Brickmakers Arms before/after the footy (recently the Keg, more recently appartments?). He liked it. Was rough though.
The Grand...enough said about the Grand. <_<

Back