Vic Case Swap Xmas In July 2010 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry, I have some comments about yeast not starting up quick enough or not aerated enough ? Again sorry, I have just bought a CPBF so my next one I will have confidence out of the keg.
Not being a pedant, but a CPBF won't help you with yeast health and/or aeration issues.

I assume you mean the CPBF will allow you to check the quality of your finished beer out of the keg prior to deciding whether or not to bottle it?

26. Wakkatoo - Black Betty Schwarzbier

Very clean flavours here, and as someone else has said before, it's hard to believe a black beer like this could feel so light on the palate. Not a fault to be found.

Good work.

Thanks mate. I was a little worried about carbonation, but I'm guessing by some of the feedback its been fine.
I've finished all of mine now. Got some catching up to do in regards to feedback. Just gotta find my notes <_<

I assume you mean the CPBF will allow you to check the quality of your finished beer out of the keg prior to deciding whether or not to bottle it?

thats the one

19. Chris Taylors English Brown

Mmmmm. Nice drop. Not knowing what it was until I poured a glass, and looked up the number my first impression was from the smell once I opened the bottle and I knew straight away... it had that "english" aroma. Has a nice level of darker malts, offering the right colour and a decent flavour to match. Has a little bit of nuttiness to it. I haven't had an english brown in a while, but its everything I remember and expect from an english brown. Very full bodied, with a decent mouthfeel. If I were to pick a weakness, maybe a tad cloying.

Ok... let's get this thing going

3. Fourstar's Celebration Ale

What can I say mate, hoppy hoppy goodness - just the thing to kickstart my Friday night. Hops dominate everything, with background notes of crystal and chocolate.

Clarity is pretty hazy - fair enough with the amount of hops on display.

Head retention ain't great - but again not a massive issue.

All in all another good beer from you mate - well done!!

i lost the link to the original thread? just trying to find who brewed #14 #6? what such a pain in the ass, I drunk them and enjoyed but yeah.. **** knows who`s it was.

9. Kleiny - Rogue Dead Guy

We have a BOY! Rather than let it do it's thing on the bench, I hurriedly rushed it to the sink, painting everything with beer in it's path - SWMBO was not amused.

Once in the glass, I started smelling and tasting while SWMBO was busy wiping. The verdict - pretty darn tasty!!

Haven't tasted the Rogue version, but I like this.

Good work mate!!

Cheers

Brendo

8. Wonderwoman - galaxy pale ale

Sorry - confirmed sink beer. Acetobacter infection - good whiff of vinegar on the nose. Would def suggest that the recycled bottles you used were suspect :(

18. Mcook - APA

Lively carbonation creates a nice rocky head. Orange/copper in colour - little hazy but not murky.

Good whiff of c hops on the nose - lovey citrus notes.

Good bitterness and malt characters in the flavour, not as much hop flavour as I was expecting though.

All in all a good beer - about to sit down to some fried fish for dinner and expect that this will match in nicely. Good work mate!!

22. Wardy - ESB

Bottle was rock hard when I took it out the fridge. I left it to warm up a bit while I drank Mcooks, opened it and was greeted by explosive foam. Quickly decanter into a jug creating a massive head.

Nice copper colour, little hazy with a large foamy head - loads of bubbles - carbonation is def on the high side for style.

Malt aroma, little to no hops. Malt dominates on the flavour as well and the carbonation takes away from it a bit. I do get some hop flavour that I associate with fuggles - by far my least fav UK hop reminding me of cigarette ash :(

A well made beer mate - but if it is an ESB the bitterness really should be more assertive - def lacking in this department. Up the IBU's, knock down the carb and give the fuggles the arse for some EKG and we would be onto a winner for me.

Of course this says more about my bias on fuggles than your beer mate - thanks for sharing it :)

Chapter 1

I stumbled from the swap not knowing my left from right. It was dark, but there was a man in a bowler hat waiting for me under a street lamp next to a black van.
"You made it," he said. "The fate of the nation is in the balance."
I nodded in a drunken fashion, though I had no idea what he was talking about.
He opened to door to his van and there was some old dude where a cowboy hat taking a nap in the back.
"Who's he?" I asked.
"That's Bob. We have to perform an inception on him. We have to make him think he needs to kill a guy called Lindsay. Are you ready?"
I shrugged in agreeance and he hooked me up to the equipment and we started dreaming, though it seemed like real life. "How will I know I'm dreaming?" I asked.
"In the land of dreams beer will always be available to you somehow."
I tested the theory out and a bottle of beer appeared in my hand. Luckily there were glasses available for everyone, including the dude in the cowboy hat. I poured out the dark liquid and it had a nice malty note with a subtle hop aroma. It tasted nice and malty with enough bitterness to balance--very well made. The guy in the cowboy hat liked it too as we strode off into an alternate reality.

mcook... you are a genius!

Just thought I'd give this thread a little kick up the arse:

Haysie - Pilsner

Had this one a few days ago, but I still remember how nice it was. Poured mostly clear (little bit of chill haze, maybe) with a nice thick head on it. Had a massive mouthfeel, and spot on with the levels of bitterness.

Will have to have a crack at some more of them... still have half a crate.

Thx for the comments Si, I am in the same boat re. heaps left. I have drunk a couple that had previous feedback and I didnt feel I could add anything further i.e Wakatoo`s Swarzbier= Sensational. Then a couple others I struggle to find the "list". Got a feeling I`ll still well be drinking these whenever I get around to thinking of brewing for the next swap. One swap a year will do me from here on in though.

It`s become a bit of a dead thread I know, without many contributors.

I knocked off my last swap tonite.
Some beers I didnt report feedback because the feedback was already there, i.e I couldnt add to it. Others I didnt add because the thread is a little subdued and didnt want to make any noise :icon_cheers:
Some 3-5 beers were tipped.
The hilite`s were not in any order but, Hutchy`s Triple, Brendos Sheep Guts, Manticle`s ?, Wakkatoo Black Betty all remind me of a good quality of participants brewing.
Cheers Swappers! C-ya next time!

Reports of this thread's death are greatly exaggerated.

10. Brendo - Black Sheeps Riggwelter clone

Pours deep, dark brown, near black. Beige head pours to about half a cm then resides down to a consistent lining over the top of the beer.

Beer is perfectly clear, although hard to see through due to the colour.

Aroma is all malt and yeast character.

Damn, this is one tasty, tasty beer. Full-on hit of dark, toffee malt, beautifully balanced bitterness, then a dry finish. Full mouthfeel, and caramel/choc hints that linger.

Great beer, brewed with a lack of any faults.

Awesome work, Brendo

A.

For some reason I had a bottle labelled #30. No idea whose it was. It was dark, and what I would describe as an english brown, maybe a scotch ale.

Been flatout with a new kid that refuses to sleep of late so haven't been able to hit the forums as I'd like to. Had a few brews in that time though from the swap, and the quality has been consistently excellent. Even the "worst" of the swap beers so far I'd still pick happily if it was on tap at a bar. Well done folks

Hey All,

I have finaly finished off the last couple of bottles from this swap!

I gotta say, I reckon this was the best quality swap i've been in yet!!! I did not tip a single bottle of beer! Maybe I got good ones, maybe I drank the bad ones before they got infected too badly, or I just didn't notice any infections!

Sorry, I didn't take any notes, but I probably can't elaborate any further than what others have said so far anyway.

Again, thanks to everyone for the quality beer!

I've got other commitments and wont have time to go in the next swap, so I hope you all enjoy it, and the quality is as good or better than this last one!!

cheers
dingo

Back