Vic Case Swap Xmas In July 2010 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#OLMS
I got 2 bottles of this?,

Poured and looked good but was fizzy and disappeared quickly, was expecting some more dark or roast qualities from a beer of this color, slight earthy aroma, low bitterness and a stale dusty aftertaste, clean on the palate almost too clean, enjoyed it but was searching and wanting for some signature dark beer qualities.

Thx OLMS

WHO`S OLMS?

It was that good I plan to brew it this weekend, if you've been a good boy I'll let you drink the yeast cake when I'm done bottling !!!
:lol:
Man, I'd kill for a single longneck of that!

;)

OK... i have been really busy , very slack and only tasted 3 beers thus far....
Firstly , thanks to everyone for their kind words regarding my Oatmeal Stout...
Now...I have decided to start at 1 and work my way through....and i'm just gonna ramble about it

1) American Porter...I liked this. I have to admit the name did make me think it was going to be big . However , i thought it was very much like a James Squire Porter , and as Porter is such a broad style , i thought it was a good porter . I enjoyed it. Well done WarmBeer.

2)Zeba's Fuggled Amber Ale...Twas a Friday night...Collingwood were winning the footy , the neighbour and i shared a glass of this and all was good in the world. Wow. I loved that Fuggles. I can't remeber having had a taste like that for a while primarliy because i've been drinking differently hopped beers.Why ? I get called Fuggle by a dick at work.i don't like that name. I didn't really want to be seen drinking a beer with a hop called fuggle in it.But gee i like that hop.alot.Twas a lovely colour and had , i thought, a lovely malt backbone. Nice work Zebba.

Now it was at this stage that i read ome stuff about #8.....
So sorry Wonderwoman....i couln't drink it either.....

Well its about here that the tasting has stopped......
Guess its gonna be time to try number three....i must put it in the fridge.....cheers
NEXT....
Fourstar's Festivity Ale

Cheers
Ferg

Did you just wake up from your case swap coma and realise you had 24 beer bottles to drink?

Did you just wake up from your case swap coma and realise you had 24 beer bottles to drink?
...or maybe SWMBO imposed a ban on illicit substances for a little while? :p
Glad you're back on your feet ferg :icon_cheers:

...or maybe SWMBO imposed a ban on illicit substances for a little while? :p
Glad you're back on your feet ferg :icon_cheers:

i hope you're talking about the moonshine at the swap and not anything you roll up and smoke! no one at the swap would even dream of doing something like that! :lol:

Ok,ok point taken ! For what is worth , I'm still terribly embarrassed for my bad and very sorry I besmirched a great gathering of some very fine people . You guys are really cool.
The other thing is I really want to saver the swap beers and really try and ration out these great beers... Appreciate them.and try beers I may not always make myself. I was very lucky to be a part....thank you
Cheers
Ferg

You would not be the first to fall early at a vic case swap. Fourstar will attest to that.

21. Haysie - Pils

Well Haysie, I know how you feel about haughty taughty BJCP driven reviews mate... so I am just going to give it to you straight... this is a good beer.

Not that I would expect anything different from you mate.

Nice and clear, great white pillowy head with a good level of carbonation. Well attenuated, clean rounded bitterness and clean lager characteristics.

Top work mate... now to sit back and enjoy this bad boy!!

Brendo

edit: oh and wifey likes it too!!

Glad you enjoying it Brendo,

As I type I am drinking something called "sheepsguts ale"? :icon_cheers: #10

Its a ripper as expected. I get a real wow/guessing factor about this beer, something I cant poinpoint, an earthy aroma, a slight caramel that is more toffee burnt than a straight out caramel, slight hotness on the back of the throat but certainly nothing phenolic or over the top alcho, maybe needs a tad more balancing with a few more ibus to get rid of that for mine. This is the ducks nuts not the sheeps guts. I love it. Thanks and well done!

edit..2nd glass warming up, nutty choc comes thru as well, this is superb, the beer of the swap thus far albeit I have 19 to go.

vb/corona son says its sweet. You can never please that crowd.

Thanks for that Haysie - pretty happy with this one, quite a lot of complexity for a relatively straightforward recipe.

Sorry it didn't work out with your son - good news is the means there is more for you!!

You would not be the first to fall early at a vic case swap. Fourstar will attest to that.

Ahem, falling asleep after having a ripper of a night is better than piking early like ive seen at most swaps. Atleast ferg adn i had fun! :icon_cheers:

I made sure i didnt do the same at fents, instead i beelined out as soon as i knew i was headed to meet my fate with a sharpie! instead i had better things todo such as attempting to recreate the stone door scene in Indiana Jones and the temple of doom. i dont know how i managed to save my keys and bust open the door on the train but it was good work nonetheless!

Just teasing mate.

It's not a competition to see who is hardest - it's a fun night of beer nerds talking shit with other beer nerds. If we wanted to see who was hard we'd all be at a training camp for S.O.G

29. Brew Day AIPA

Pours dark amber in colour, quite cloudy (first pour from the tap ;) ) with a fluffy white head. Very fresh to the nose (love those galaxy hops). Into the mouth and this beer has an instant hop bite on the tongue, with very mild, almost imperceptible malty undertones. Over the tongue and down the shoot with the beer, and the hop bitterness leaps back into the mouth...lingering for a minute or two before leaving a very slight solvent-like taste in the mouth (not unexpected for a 6% beer!)

A superb example of an AIPA in my opinion...congrats to all brewers who contributed to this one :kooi:

For those that attend the Melbourne Brewers meetings, I'll fill a couple of bottles for tasting...hopefully the yeast will have settled out a bit more by then too.

Did you get the 1060 or the 1080?

Not sure how we got such a massive difference between the two other than the fact we forgot to fill the HLT on the second brew for sparging and it was just a lot of beer and a lot of time at that point in the evening.

The one I got was the 1060 (second lot) so presumably the bittering levels will be different. Mine is sitting at 1030 currently (only put down a week or so ago at low temps).

#6 Sappas Almost English Bitter.

Fking awesome. Best beer of the swap for me so far. Not much else to say really. Just tick all the boxes - great presentation, great aroma, great balance... just great. Well done.

Latest posts

Back