Vic 2017 Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[

Swappers
1. Idzy
2. Mardoo
3. Technobabble66
4. DJ_L3thAL - Melbourne Bitter (WLP059) 4.8%, drink now.
5. JB
6. Micbrew
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. malt mule
13. Mmmyummybeer
14. Bigchamp
15. Mofox1
16. Husky
17. droid - Belgian Wit
18. Laxation
19. Midnight Brew
20. Malt Junkie- Golden wheat 4.5%
21. TSMILL - half biere de garde 7.5%, half saison 8%
22. Dr_Rocks
23. Danscraftbeer
24. (donation)

Soooo I'm not going to have time to brew and ferment something out for this swap, but what I do have is a couple of better bottles of aged sour that are good to go (one pale one dark with rye). Very happy to share, but is everyone happy with champagne bottles? These are beers that can be aged for many years (if you can wait!) and champagne bottles will do a better job than PET.

Swappers
1. Idzy
2. Mardoo
3. Technobabble66
4. DJ_L3thAL - Macleod Bitter (WLP059) 4.8%, drink now.
5. JB
6. Micbrew
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. malt mule
13. Mmmyummybeer
14. Bigchamp
15. Mofox1
16. Husky
17. droid - Belgian Wit
18. Laxation
19. Midnight Brew
22. Dr_Rocks
23. Danscraftbeer
24. (donation)

Change of name to a more appropriate one [emoji23][emoji481]

Oooo, I just happen to have been contemplating the effect of rye in sours the other day, hint hint.

And champagne bottles would be fine. They're all rated to at least 6 volumes, good ones to 9 volumes.

Sounds fine, AJ, if you're willing to part with 24 of your aged sours. You might not be getting quite the same quality back [emoji1]

Well it's all I've got that can be bottled by swap day! Hopefully we'll make it to 24 this time round...

Edit: should have said this earlier. The quality of beers over the last umpteen swaps I've been part of has been absolutely top notch. The swap beers are always fantastic.

Last edited:
Fellas,

First time swapper, long time drinker. What size bottles do we swap?

I don't want to be that guy that rocks up with 375ml bottles and leaves with a stack of king browns.

Fellas,

I don't want to be that guy that rocks up with 375ml bottles and leaves with a stack of king browns.

750ml bottles are the go for swaps.

Fellas,

750ml PET bottles being the safety standard. Yeah I know some people shun plastic but its the best no stress safety option etc.
Honestly I haven't found any negative long term effects at all in the quality of the beer in PET bottles, so far. 2+ years bottled being the longest in my experience.
(With the exception for AJ80. Someone who wants to share a long shelfer boutique in a heavy glass champagne bottle well you just cant say no to that!) :cool:

Last edited:
750ml PET bottles being the safety standard. Yeah I know some people shun plastic but its the best no stress safety option etc.
Honestly I haven't found any negative long term effects at all in the quality of the beer in PET bottles, so far. 2+ years bottled being the longest in my experience.
(With the exception for AJ80. Someone who wants to share a long shelfer boutique in a heavy glass champagne bottle well you just cant say no to that!) :cool:
Thanks guys. I'll get some 750ml PET bottles. Looking forward to the meet!

...Edit: should have said this earlier. The quality of beers over the last umpteen swaps I've been part of has been absolutely top notch. The swap beers are always fantastic.
DJ is not the only one fronting an Aussie Bitter. Just sayin ... ;)

And yeah, @Dr_Rocks, the standard bottle for swaps is the 740mL PET. It means if anyone accidentally hands over 24 over-carbed bottle bombs, the worst that happens is mess rather than grenades.

Lucky guess!

Rezza Bitter. Just like Macleod, but a little more bitter.

Otherwise, I was going to call it The Dog.
As in, The Dog Bitter.

Get it? ... The dog bit her ....Boom, tish!!

EDIT: Correction, the original name was:
Rezza Nekta - Just like Macleod, but a little more bittersweet.

Last edited:
Bottled mine today, so i'll definitely have an entry. Decided to go with DJ's suggestion:

Swappers
1. Idzy
2. Mardoo
3. Technobabble66 - Rezza Bitter (WLP-059) 4.6%, drink now, but maybe leave an extra week.
5. JB
6. Micbrew
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. malt mule
13. Mmmyummybeer
14. Bigchamp
15. Mofox1
16. Husky
17. droid - Belgian Wit
18. Laxation
19. Midnight Brew
22. Dr_Rocks
23. Danscraftbeer
24. (donation)

-------------------------------------------
The Battle of the Bitters!!

i hope you're not expecting that from DJ & I. :D There might be *subtle* differences between the 2.
FWIW, mine was tasting pretty damn good going into the bottles, so hopefully it'll be ok when all youse swappers crack the seal.

I'll put Rusty's RyeAPA from the test run last week onto the yeast cake in the next 24hrs, so hopefully i'll also have an Aussie Alt & an Aussie RyeAPA in minikegs for tasting on the day - strictly for research purposes, of course.
(NB: it's my second cube of the RyeAPA, so ~17L of dregs from the bottom of the kettle. Hopefully it won't be as bitter as hell. Mmmmm ... Kettle Arse ARAPA)

Swappers
1. Idzy
2. Mardoo
3. Technobabble66 - Rezza Bitter (WLP-059) 4.6%, drink now, but maybe leave an extra week.
5. JB
6. Micbrew
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
12. malt mule
13. Mmmyummybeer
14. Bigchamp
15. Mofox1
16. Husky
17. droid - Belgian Wit
18. Laxation
19. Midnight Brew
22. Dr_Rocks
23. Danscraftbeer
24. (donation)

Sorry to say it - but I'm pulling out. Ive been busy brewing lately but its all been for my son's 21st this weekend. Doubt I'll get time to ferment anything between now and swap day. And I doubt there will be enough left after the party this weekend to bottle 24 bottles. It's also MrsGrumpy's birthday on the weekend of the swap - its one of those big ones that end in a zero so I should plan something special for her.

At best Ill be a possible maybe hope to drop in for a bit again.

Both swap brews at or near FG, will CC Sunday, then bottle Thursday or Friday.
Issues: The Golden wheat is quite pink after the addition of raspberries.
The stout I had to back off due to time constraints and fear of stalling so OG was around 1067, currently at 1015 so a few points to go.
Both smell awesome.

ED: Just sampled the Hydro of the 'stout' I'm thinking it's closer to a Dark Ale, going to have to do another batch of this to put on tap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back