Very cloudy after reaching final gravity..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So on the secondry topic test drove my first Brew (cerveza with w34/70) was already carbonated! Wondering about the advice for my LHBS, flavours are very faintly fruity just seems the flavours could all merge/mellow together so have put half the batch aside to see how it is after a month or so but definitely carbonated and drinkable just seems a little unrefined haha

Just a photo of the second tester haha ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1415078612.968643.jpg
Though I must say the head disappeared after the second sip

Looks good. Bet it tastes alright too. A little more time in the bottles and it'll turn into a nice beer, all you can do now is give it time.

The head dropping off quick could be your glass, the type of soap used to wash it or just could be a brew with little lacing and retention.

Coopers BE2 can work to improve head and body, its pretty much just maltodextrin and dextrose. You lhbs will have the same stuff cheaper. If you want to get fancy you could steep some crystal grains in your next batch too, it does wonders for body and head.

This beer came from a coopers sparkling ale tin with 600g maltodextrin and 600g dextrose added, as it poured. Second photo is as it left the lacing. Lacing isn't the greatest on this one so I'm probably going to add more malto next time.

http://m.imgur.com/a/hbzZ8

Sorry my phones pictures were too big for the site.

Edit:

So this is the next beer, same keg, same tap, 20 minutes later, but this time I ate some potato chips during the first glass, and did not wash or rinse the glass before refilling it.

http://m.imgur.com/1fxjrDq

Not as pretty. Just goes to show that little things can easily affect the presentation. I've found that the dishwasher leaves a film that wrecks head, too. Best to hand wash your glasses.

MrChoat said:
Looks good. Bet it tastes alright too. A little more time in the bottles and it'll turn into a nice beer, all you can do now is give it time.

The head dropping off quick could be your glass, the type of soap used to wash it or just could be a brew with little lacing and retention.

Coopers BE2 can work to improve head and body, its pretty much just maltodextrin and dextrose. You lhbs will have the same stuff cheaper. If you want to get fancy you could steep some crystal grains in your next batch too, it does wonders for body and head.
Yeah I used the BE2 I though it was 500g Dex 250g LDME and 250g maltodextrin with the kit and w34/70 at stable lager temps with d-rest.. Hope it improves with time coz not thinking much of it now and I love my cerveza's in summer

The lower the temp you brew lagers at the better. Supposedly around 12c. I have a cupboard made into an icebox that'll hold 18-20 but I can't go lower than that. Good thing I love pale ales.

Anyway I've got a black rock Mexican kit in a keg now. I brewed at 20c and I'm not thinking much of it yet, brewed at the end of September, kegged mid October, tried a few days after, haven't touched it since. It has the old homebrew taste, but I'm hoping storing it in the fridge for a couple of months will make it better. That's what lagering is after all.

You got my curiosity going after you last post, wound up cleaning my lines and hooking up the faux-corona.

It improves. A lot. Just give it time.

Last time I had a taste I swore I'd be chucking it. It's actually come really good, and its only been just over a month since I brewed it.

Haha I feeling that way now but will persist because of bein my first brew but yes temp controls were in constant control x2 have a dual control thermo stat with fried for cooling and heating for both primary and secondary just need to learn appropriate timing lol

Probably don't have to worry about a heat belt in this weather. Sounds like u got a good thing going on with the fermenting fridge. Keep it up, results should be awesome.

Once primary fermentation is over it should be fine to keep the secondary at room temp as long as its out of the sun under the house if possible.

as for your original post, it seems you have the equipment, so wait a few days and then cold crash at 0 or very close to, for at least 3-4 days( I usually do a week). then Rack onto your priming sugar and bottle. my general method is 14 days in primary, cold crash for a week then bottle

Your first beer is looking really good, and I'm sure it will be better in 3 weeks.( I find at 4 weeks its getting better but 5 - 8 weeks in the bottle is getting really good)

burrster said:
as for your original post, it seems you have the equipment, so wait a few days and then cold crash at 0 or very close to, for at least 3-4 days( I usually do a week). then Rack onto your priming sugar and bottle. my general method is 14 days in primary, cold crash for a week then bottle

Your first beer is looking really good, and I'm sure it will be better in 3 weeks.( I find at 4 weeks its getting better but 5 - 8 weeks in the bottle is getting really good)
I reckon. Wish my first brew looked that good. This fella seems to have a good grip on the basics, he's only going to get better over his next brews.

Keep up the good brewing, the last thing I can say is keep a notebook of everything you do on brew days, keep a recipe number on the bottles and take note which ones are the best. Other than that keep up the awesome beers.

MrChoat said:
I reckon. Wish my first brew looked that good. This fella seems to have a good grip on the basics, he's only going to get better over his next brews.

Keep up the good brewing, the last thing I can say is keep a notebook of everything you do on brew days, keep a recipe number on the bottles and take note which ones are the best. Other than that keep up the awesome beers.
Yeah I read up for ages and stalked this forum before I kicked things off just to try get the most out of it. Got a brew diary an recording everything too ;)

MrChoat said:
This beer came from a coopers sparkling ale tin with 600g maltodextrin and 600g dextrose added, as it poured. Second photo is as it left the lacing. Lacing isn't the greatest on this one so I'm probably going to add more malto next time.

http://m.imgur.com/a/hbzZ8

Sorry my phones pictures were too big for the site.

Edit:

So this is the next beer, same keg, same tap, 20 minutes later, but this time I ate some potato chips during the first glass, and did not wash or rinse the glass before refilling it.

http://m.imgur.com/1fxjrDq

Not as pretty. Just goes to show that little things can easily affect the presentation. I've found that the dishwasher leaves a film that wrecks head, too. Best to hand wash your glasses.
I know it is a personal taste thing but 600g of maltodextrin is already a large amount and I am not sure if it would be a good idea to add more.
I would try dry malt or some specialty grain instead and limit the maltodextrin to 250g max. :)

Cheers for the tip. It drinks OK, its not one of my better ones though, I threw it on alongside an IPA I was doing because damned if I'm only making one batch on a brewsday.

I'll usually do one extract and one quick and easy while I'm doing the hop additions on the extract.

Gday. I racked my last brew, first time I have done that, left it for s couple of days and bottled with carb drops. Its been about 2 to 3 months and its a bit flat. Is there more to racking than just transferring from one brew pot to another? I had one pot on the bench, hose from the tap to the tap of the other pot on the floor and it transferred through.
Thanks,
Andrew

There is probably a little bit less yeast that get to the bottle after racking but there is still plenty to do the job even if it takes slightly longer.

2-3 months should be plenty In any case.

Have the bottles been kept warm enough to let the yeast carbonate?

Are they actually flat or do they just look that way in the glass?

Gday pcmfisher. They are keep up in the high teens at the least. I had one last night and it was much better than the last one I had maybe a month ago. They look a bit flat, but my glass may need a clean with some hot water and bottle cleaner. They have only been rinsed with hot water for a while.
Cheers,
Andrew.

Back