Very cloudy after reaching final gravity..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFergz

Reaction score
Sorry guys been searching flat out on the net to try find answers and also a slight case of being a little impatient (only second brew) and just want some definitive answers from
You seasoned Brewers ;) so I have a brew coopers canadian blonde with 700g of Dex and 500g of LDME pitched the kit yeast at 23oC brewed at stable 20oC OG was 1048 and fg was 1006 stable over 3 days but is still very cloudy. My question is should I bottle now and will my beer clear in the bottles or should I allow a few more days to clear up (from what I have read) and bottle then? I know these questions probably get asked a lot so I am sorry again but any advice is very appreciated. Thanks, Josh.

How long in the fermentor? I usually leave it at least 2 weeks for ale yeast (kit yeast is 99% of the time ale yeast) after that bottle yes it will clear in the bottles.

Yeah fair call it's been in there 8 days so far so I shall push through and leave for a few more days to a week and bottle it then thanks heaps for the quick reply and reassurance!

It will clear in the fermentor and/or in bottles but the more crap that drops out and gets left in the fermenter, the less will be carried over to bottles.

JFergz said:
Yeah fair call it's been in there 8 days so far so I shall push through and leave for a few more days to a week and bottle it then thanks heaps for the quick reply and reassurance!
You are doing well! Next time try and get the temp down to 18 and use either us-05 or mangrive jacks west coast, will give a crisper beer. Also try steeping some hops.

Yeah def keen to try some hops was originally wanting to do this with nottingham but was too impatient and went with the kit yeast lol

A light beer like that will benefit a lot from transferring off the yeast and cold crashing, if you have the equipment, and your confident in your sanitation.

My go to rule is 10 days in primary, 10 days in secondary, 5 days cold crash and then keg or bottle.

It isn't necessary, but will clear the beer naturally and the extra aging helps it mellow.

JFergz said:
Yeah def keen to try some hops was originally wanting to do this with nottingham but was too impatient and went with the kit yeast lol
Notto is an excellent choice for a fast finishing yeast which drops clear. My brews are usually at FG in around 3-4 days and another 3-4 days for the yeast to clean up after itself when using notto. Great if you need a quick, clean ale.

MrChoat said:
A light beer like that will benefit a lot from transferring off the yeast and cold crashing, if you have the equipment, and your confident in your sanitation.

My go to rule is 10 days in primary, 10 days in secondary, 5 days cold crash and then keg or bottle.

It isn't necessary, but will clear the beer naturally and the extra aging helps it mellow.
Yeah I have a racking vessel and two fridges with thermo control on each one for primary and other for 2nd (bought for my first brew, a cerveza using w34/70, d rest then cold crashed and was super clear on bottling day, though still waiting to try lol only been two weeks in bottle).

Really wished I had of gone the nottingham haha hoping patience come sooner then later

JFergz said:
Yeah I have a racking vessel and two fridges with thermo control on each one for primary and other for 2nd (bought for my first brew, a cerveza using w34/70, d rest then cold crashed and was super clear on bottling day, though still waiting to try lol only been two weeks in bottle).

Really wished I had of gone the nottingham haha hoping patience come sooner then later
first batch 2 weeks in bottle no idea how you haven't cracked one yet?

BrosysBrews said:
first batch 2 weeks in bottle no idea how you haven't cracked one yet?
I have just come to far to cut my self short now haha but on a more serious note I was told whilst talking with the bloke at my LHBS that because it was bottle so clear that I should wait as long as I can due to it may take a lot longer to carbonate I bulk primed with a bottling bucket with 170g of Dex dissolved in 200ml of water after boiled and kept them at 18oC is this right?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1415007271.166785.jpg

Looks like sediment in the bottom but it's the chair through the bottle

With beer that clear, It looks like the yeast has done its thing. Crack one to be certain. Now you just need to put the lot into the fridge to lager for a few weeks,

wereprawn said:
With beer that clear, It looks like the yeast has done its thing. Crack one to be certain. Now you just need to put the lot into the fridge to lager for a few weeks,
Is that after allowing enough time for carbonation?

Only one way to find out my friend! First few batches most of us drank at least some green beers just due to excitement! Clear bottles are more light sensitive and should be kept in the dark no idea about why they would take longer to carb bulk priming leaves quite a small sedament in the bottle though (in my experience)

BrosysBrews said:
Only one way to find out my friend! First few batches most of us drank at least some green beers just due to excitement! Clear bottles are more light sensitive and should be kept in the dark no idea about why they would take longer to carb bulk priming leaves quite a small sedament in the bottle though (in my experience)
Well that didn't take much to twist my arm I'll chuck a couple in the fridge now and test drive them tomorrow, fingers crossed my efforts have paid off!

Cracking one early isn't a weakness of the new brewer. I pretty much always bust one open at 2 weeks to 'test', for my own curiosity if nothing else. Except my English barley wine, that made an unprecedented 7 weeks.

TheWiggman said:
Cracking one early isn't a weakness of the new brewer. I pretty much always bust one open at 2 weeks to 'test', for my own curiosity if nothing else. Except my English barley wine, that made an unprecedented 7 weeks.
For sure. My ales usually come good after about a week in the fridge. By then i have usually "tested" half a keg. :beerbang:

TheWiggman said:
Mine lasted 4 months before I had a taste, will try some at Christmas.
Due ready July next year.

Latest posts

Back