Vb Disaster!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank god Theyre only lowering the Alc content. I thought you were going to say they were going to reduce the Formaldehyde content!!!!!

God preserve us!

ATOMT

WAIT FOR IT!!!

As soon as sales stats are in after 3 months, if the lower alcohol product has been accepted - THEY'LL JACK THE PRICE UP TOO!

And it's continuing to cop an absolute flogging in the reader's comments, haha

As soon as sales stats are in after 3 months, if the lower alcohol product has been accepted - THEY'LL JACK THE PRICE UP TOO!

nice call screwtop! totally agree..

This is the final straw, the last excuse i needed to permanently move to drinking CARLTON COLD!! :blink:

This is the final straw, the last excuse i needed to permanently move to drinking CARLTON COLD!!
Carlton Cold, Id be switching companies :lol:

yea yea I know I couldnt help myself

Cheers, JJ

The story on the news web site is up to a 103 comments and counting. Anyone care to post a recipe in the comments section for our friends at CUB to clone. Pity we can't post the photo of the dog.

Thats so laughable at the disaster bit!

Then this made me laugh as well, in the replies to the story:

Step 1. Buy a slab of VB. Step 2. Buy a slab of James Squire. Step 3. Use the VB to remove oil stains from your driveway. Step 4. Slake your 'hard-earned thirst' with the Squire.

Posted by: Geoff Saunders 2:48pm today

ahhhhh this is the last thing i need at the moment! i hope they adjust the caustic soda amount to balance with the lower amount of malt used.
ah, yes the malt...I almost forgot that it was in there.

At first I thought that they (CUB) wouldn't save much money by decreasing the amount of alcohol by 0.1% , as that dosn't equate to much cane sugar, but I can see much more savings if the malt is decreased.
How ignorant of me.

At least Foster's is just as delicious as it always was </sarcasm>.

(not quite) beerz
Seth :p

I find it amazing the number of people who are bagging the beer. Lower the alcohol content and raise the price at the same time. Sounds like a beancounter decision to me.

Is it any wonder that people are switching to other beers that have taste.

This comment is absolute gold.

----------

Yeah, I dont drink VB anymore. It's overrated. I drink Pure Blonde. Much better.

Posted by: Paul of Sydney 2:26pm today
Comment 105 of 111

----------

:lol:

The alcohol content of high-selling Australian beer Victoria Bitter will be cut slightly in a move that will save brewer Foster's up to $20 million a year in tax payments.

News Limited on Wednesday reported the alcohol content of the iconic Melbourne-brewed beer would be cut from 4.9 per cent to 4.8 per cent to cut the amount of excise Foster's pays on the beer it brews.
ADVERTISEMENT

Foster's spokesman Ben Wicks said the change would not affect the taste of the beer.

"It certainly doesn't affect the taste, which is very important to our VB drinkers. The taste will stay exactly the same. Our master brewers have done a lot of work to make sure of that," he told News Limited.

Industry analyst Mark Bowles said the "significant saving" the brewer would make would be re-invested into the brand, particularly its mid-strength VB variety and its annual summer promotion involving collectible figurines.

"Our estimate would be that they could save potentially between $10 million and $20 million," he said.

The lower-alcohol Victoria Bitter would arrive in shops next month.

But the price of Foster's beers was set to rise next month, based on CPI and increased production costs.

I can't believe they are putting the price UP, its already near $40 a case of the crap.

And it's continuing to cop an absolute flogging in the reader's comments, haha
I don't think CUB will give a toss what a few readers in a news columns comments section, or a home brewers online forum, say. We all know (including CUB) that they are still gonna sell truck loads of the stuff.
I don't mind the stuff. :)

Are you some kind of Foster's stooge or something? :blink: Maybe it's time to change your all time favourite to something that actually tastes like beer <_<

What happended to vb4eva's post?

I don't think CUB will give a toss what a few readers in a news columns comments section, or a home brewers online forum, say. We all know (including CUB) that they are still gonna sell truck loads of the stuff.
I don't mind the stuff. :)

Good on you.

I don't think the price rise is a good idea. If they're saving 20mil on dropping the alcohol 0.1% why are they going for the cash grab and upping the price too. To me it sounds like cost of production just went down 20 million not up. Another point is that I bought a slab of vb 3 months ago for a BBQ and it cost me $41. Now that's a F'ing joke, vb isnt a $40+ beer. You can find it occasionally at 2 for $62 but that's a rarity. The recent $6-7 per slab price rise (over the last 3 years) may be the governments fault, but fosters should look at what the beer is costing the consumer.

One thing I know for sure is that I can go to almost any bottle shop and they'll have something like heineken, becks, cascade, coopers in an on special pile for under $40, not to mention boags draught (isn't awesome but is a lot better than vb for a swill beer) is usually around $34, and Amsterdam is plain but a lot better than VB and is $29 a slab.... I know what i'll be drinking.

Geez what a rant.

Gee, I hope it doesn't affect the delicious rusty metallic tang in the lingering finish :eek:

----------

Yeah, I dont drink VB anymore. It's overrated. I drink Pure Blonde. Much better.

Comment 105 of 111

----------

it's good for you too! low in carbs!

i'm speachless when i hear people talk about pure blonde, how do you tell people it's not that good without hurting there feelings and making them go back to drinking something worse

-Phill

----------

Comment 105 of 111

----------

That is ABSOLUTE GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back