Vaucluse bitter? satire article?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peas_and_corn said:
I wouldn't be surprised if hipsters start drinking vb "ironically" like they do with Pabst in the us
Melbourne bitter is quite popular in the inner hipster suburbs. Think fitzroy, brunswick, st Kilda

For years while I was at Uni, I used to drink Melbourne tinnies or king browns in dodgy inner city bars before hipsters became hip... Still drink them occasionally.

I'm sure CUB would be quite happy to accept their money, ironic or not :)

Meh, I drank Carlton, Melbourne Bitter, VB, etc for years. What are you going to do? It's one of the defining drinks of 20th century Australia.

..........especially on day 3 of a fishing trip and you run out of ice

Airgead said:
Already the case. There are some small bars in Sydney where you can spend $15 on a longneck of VB, and drink it ironically with you hipster mates out of a brown paper bag.
which ones?

verysupple said:
I understand your frustration and wanting to correct English mistakes, but you'll be hard pressed to keep up with them all around here. :p
And that position has been taken by Manticl'e and for a "very long time". ,:;'
He hates' it when I do that shit " '
Nev

i didnt realise it was satire so had a very long discussion with my flatmate (who believes craft beer is a wank) explaining that even though its a shit beer it is a very hard style to emulate and thus they must be amazing brewers.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
And that position has been taken by Manticl'e and for a "very long time". ,:;'
He hates' it when I do that shit " '
Nev
Careful there, if you pulled that stunt back in the old MySpace era you were likely to cause a MySQL error and bring the whole site down.

Eagleburger said:
A flat warm vb was a fav of mine.
VB has remained the only beer to consistently give me a headache 3 in.

It has a bitter mousiness that is hard to replicate...

The article is awesome. My favourite lines were at the end:

It just goes to show how much of a joke this microbrewery ‘culture’ is. Everyone knows there is only one way to tackle a hard earned thirst This craft beer bullshit is just a phase

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Love it. :)[/SIZE]

I still pay $15 for VB and happily drink it. But that $14.99 gets me 3x long necks ice cold from a close drive through bottle shop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did VB not win best beer in QLD last year or year before, and it was judged by a fairly big panel. Keeping in mind I was living in PNG and could have been high on Beetlenut.

MySpace was great, why people ran with Facebook instead I'll never know.

MySpace, the Tinder that once was for us in our 20-30's.

fletcher said:
which ones?
Fancy a night out with you hipster mates?

York Lane is one that I remember. Their current review says -

The drinks menu is similarly compact and like the venue, it makes the most of a small range. Wines by the glass begin at $7.50 for a rose, through to $12 for lively five year-old Pinot Noir or a decent NZ Sauvignon Blanc. Beer starts at about $8 for a selection from their boutique beers, and at the bargain end is VB in long necks for $12
Looks like they have brought the price of VB down a couple of bucks.

The Ramblin Rascal has "Shit Tinnie" on the menu for $6. It varies between VB, New or Fosters. But always shit.

Cheers
Dave

Used to buy 3-4 longnecks for $12.

Oh well, good to see them ripping off Hipsters. :)

Back