Vaping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been struggling for ages to get of the ciggies, vaping seems the go.
Shit I’ll try anything to quit. Checking the local shops tomorrow for a cheaper and hopefully healthier alternative.
Cheers.

I'd like to give the smokes away too. Usually a very placid bloke, but after a couple of days without them I turn into a rotten, angry, aggressive ******* and my wife begs me to start smoking again. So, is there any way for a QLD'er to buy vaping products, containing nicotine legally?

I've been vaping for a year. No smokes since.
I buy my juice in Australia as doublers and I buy my nicotine from the states. Then I add my Nic to the doubler eg. 15ml doubler juice to 15ml nic. I buy my nic at 24mg which dilutes to 12mg with the doubler. You will also have to decide on a PG/VG ratio.
Even though you cant "legally" import nicotine into Qld customs is federal not state so I have had no problem receiving my nicotine.

Had to click on this thread because when I saw vaping, all I could think of was this -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT7skv3leeW/?taken-by=blakewebber
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLhjib8gThK/?taken-by=blakewebber

And before you ask, no his name is not Blake, that's not his real voice and it's satire. Such is the satire though that there exists this 'vape culture' which is reflective of some of the comments made earlier. Much easier for the government to ban something that might affect a handful of people negatively than many more positively, all based on BS they read on news.com.au or from what they heard on their fellow pollie's niece's Facebook that "everyone's doing".

Glad to hear people's lives being turned around, I've never heard a ex-smoker regretting getting off the smokes.

Spog and Wereprawn,

If you guys want to find a shop that has some gear and can show you how the coils work, etc, I'd be happy to send you some juice. That way you can try it out and see if it works for you before getting into importing nicotine, expensive box mods, etc. Some people just don't like vaping. It is different to smoking.

I haven't looked into hardware for a long time, so not sure what's new and in shops. No doubt Lionman and Bridgey can offer better advice on that than I.

You should only need a basic USB-rechargeable starter kit for around $50-70. I like Smok, personally.

cloud.gif

I saw these plumes of smoke coming out of a car window, I thought the car was on fire......

Despite my avatar picture (it's from 2014) I have also jumped on the vaping bandwagon. I first got a device in January, after 12/13 years of smoking, and while I haven't been completely smoke free since, I have cut back a shitload and I do feel better for it. The first things I noticed was taste and smell improved, and my cough disappeared. The only time I have cigarettes now is on a big night out (maybe once a month if that), I haven't quite gotten past that hurdle yet, but everywhere else I just have my electric ones. I have nothing fancy, just a cigarette lookalike thing with re-fillable cartridges, and I also have an e-pipe that I use at home. Generally I mix my own juice. I'm glad I decided to try it, because I actually enjoyed smoking and this gave me a way to sort of keep doing it without keeping doing it (other than the nights out which I'll eventually get past).

Been off the ciggies for9 months now & couldn't have done it without my vape.

I have an iStick Pico, works pretty well but I'm sure there are better ones out there. Now that I know I'll be vaping for a while I'll look into a better model.

I get my juice locally as doublers & get the nicotine from a mate who imports it by the litre.

Current fave flavour is Strawberries & Cream

I use a kangertech kbox mini. Cost about $90 online from an Aussie store. Mad Ape Vape no affiliation yada yada.
I used a cheap pen type vape to start with but the kbox is much better.
I was a little unsure about the outlay til I thought it's not even 3 packs of smokes.
Best investment ever. Vaping now costs me about $3 a day and am vaping less than I smoked. Pancakes with maple syrup is my vape today. Most vanilla flavours a pretty good too.

Vape on brothers! I'm a non-smoker and think it's criminal how they treat smokers, especially when there are so many people giving themselves diabeetus by eating like a 5 year old in an adults body yet there is no tax on that. Also infuriating is the health minister totally discarding vaping due to 'unknown health risks', the irony being totally lost on him given the legal alternative of combusting multiple known carcinogens. Instead of listening to the crazy amount of anecdotal evidence and pushing ahead with scientific research, they totally discard it and give you the bullshit almost puritan approach of 'Just saying no'.

So vape on, be free and stop giving your dollars to dickheads that treat smokers like children.

So good to see so many brewers ditching the smokes for vaping. :cheers:

I'd like to give the smokes away too. Usually a very placid bloke, but after a couple of days without them I turn into a rotten, angry, aggressive ******* and my wife begs me to start smoking again. So, is there any way for a QLD'er to buy vaping products, containing nicotine legally?

Buy a vape mate, you wont look back.

I would start by just importing some quality juice from the US. I would be very surprised if the laws where actively enforced, but i could be wrong. Mount Baker is a good start, their juice is affordable and the quality is very high. Get a selection of 30ml bottles to find what type of flavours you like. I would recommend a 50/50 PG/VG blend and 6mg nic to start with. You may want to try a selection of nic strength too to find what works for you. The higher strength tends to clog up you coils quicker though.

There are two methods of vaping. Mouth to lung, with is more like smoking. You drag the vape into your mouth then inhale. There is also direct lung which is a bit more like smoking a bong where you suck it straight in. I think for first time vapers trying to move off smokes, mouth to lung is the go.

The device I bought for my wife is a good starter kit. Its called an Innokin Endura T22. Its a super simple device, fixed wattage (15w) so no settings to play with, nice restricted air flow so its a bit more like suckign on a dart and a 4.5ml tank which will probably last all day for most users at at 15w, the battery lasts quite a long time. No fuss really. Can get them locally for $50. If you can avoid 2 packs of smokes it will pay for itself and you can upgrade if you feel like to to a more power full device. The low powered devices are also more suitable for public vaping so you aren't chucking massive clouds into passers by.

FYI - vaping the subject of weekly 'Health Report' program (Norman Swan) on ABC News Radio .

On air now (and probably a recorded podcast later on the ABC website)

Just ordered myself a new higher end vape, had pens before and the coils/cartomisers just kept mucking about and was a pain especially when the missus would take off with the charger and spare batteries. So went all out this time, got the Geek vape Aegis and the smok big baby, spare coils, spare batts and a bluetooth charger. Yeah spent some $$$ but I aim to still be using this same kit for good few years.

MJ

Just ordered myself a new higher end vape, had pens before and the coils/cartomisers just kept mucking about and was a pain especially when the missus would take off with the charger and spare batteries. So went all out this time, got the Geek vape Aegis and the smok big baby, spare coils, spare batts and a bluetooth charger. Yeah spent some $$$ but I aim to still be using this same kit for good few years.

MJ

I prefer the rebuildable atomizers myself. I hate the idea of disposable coil housings. They use up so much more packaging and material. I also like the idea of having flexibility around coil resistance and design.

I have a couple RTAs - Rebuildable Tank Atomizers. Its pretty easy to wind a coil and wick it, and you can get some really interesting premade coils too that arent very expensive. I'm using a OBS Engine Nano at the moment which is a single coil version of the original Engine RTA. I just installed a parallel clapton coil in it drawing 0.3A and its vaping like a champ.

You can also get RDAs - Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers that dont have tanks, you just drip the juice directly into the drip tip (mouth piece) and they have a well at the bottom full of cotton wick. I have ordered a Vandy Vape Bonza RDA, will be my first one. Excited to try it, It can be converted to support squonking to, which is where your mod has a small silicon bottle of juice in it that you squeeze to re-juice your wicks through a hole in the 510 pin instead of dripping in from the top. Might have to pickup a squonk box too at some stage.

Latest posts

Back