Vaping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionman

Reaction score
Any other brewers into Vaping?

How long have you been cigarette free? What gear do you have? What flavours are you into? What goes well with your favourite beer?

I was rocking a Eleaf iStick 50w with Subtank Mini for a couple of years.

Just upgraded to a Voopoo Drag and OBS Engine Nano and have a preordered Bonza RDA.

1 day cig free,

Ive got a basic model as I was scoping it out but I can see that it will certainly help, not tried many flavors yet but will likely get a few next week

Nice one. Hopefully the first of many!

Trying to get the missus onto it but she cant take a toke without coughing. I'm sure its psychological. I got her a little Innokin Endura which is a fairly decent little device. I like more clouds personally.

I order my juice from the states. The house brand from Mount Baker Vapor and Vista Vapors are the better ones i have tried in terms value and quality.

Have you seen the vaping bogan on youtube? Swears like a trooper and does craft beer reviews while reviewing vaping gear. Classic.

Hey lion man yer I vape n wife vapes been Cig free for a month now from first day of vape n flavours are endless [emoji7], must admit having a drag of a Cig after a week or so of vaping it's disgusting [emoji90] but depending where u live u can Google Map vape store in your city n you will definitely find one, and I have found in bris u don't have to buy nicotine vape from over seas [emoji6][emoji6] but we started with starter kits the pen types and some stay on them and others like us didn't however in saying that they are fantastic n give a really good hit but have moved up in the world to others like I have the water proof fully submergable shock proofs for tradies like my self ( made by geek vape) the aegis... 100w And wife has the steem punk ,nanno 120w. They really work , we are both non smokers now, I have been a full time smoker for over 15 years and enjoy smoking alot but I'm near 40 n the health risk and cost is getting ridiculous now, but dropped the cigs like nothing, and even though we vape we only get nicotine and not the other 4000 toxic chemicals that are in smokes, and the savings is Insain [emoji7][emoji383], like any good hobby, even our beloved home brew [emoji482] there is a out lay to start with and then start seeing a good investment and return, like our savings on beer also, I just can't justify $50 cartons of beer and $20 6pacs from bottle shop anymore, same with $60 tabacos and $40 Taylor made, pure tax and greed, but feel free to give me a tax that's better off in our pockets, so definitely have a crack brother, u have nothing to loose but the ciggerets and that's a win win [emoji322]

A well presented argument from Scotchkin. We could do with more knowledgeable and lucid posters like this on AHB. Thank you for taking the time and effort.
What home brews are you doing at the moment?

Thanks Bribie G and lionman for the Awsom thread ,
It's all just constant and consistent
'' TASTE TESTING '' [emoji23] [emoji482]

Greatest first post ever! Welcome aboard.

I vape.

Not so much anymore, as I haven't had a cigarette for almost two years now. I have made my own juice the entire time and cut the nicotine out around a year ago. I just don't need it anymore. I smoked for 24 years.

When I still needed to vape, I would actively pair juice with brews (a strawberry apple vape with a Raspberry Lime cider, a sweet lemon cheesecake vape with a gose, a tobacco and pistachio with a wheat beer, things like that). I would even have different tanks for different kegs, so I could change juice when I changed taps! I was obsessed enough to even have an after dinner (Red Velvet cake) vape and a breakfast (strawberry donuts) vape!

I still provide juice and hardware for others so I still refine and create recipes. I just find I don't even think about it unless I have been asked. I certainly don't need to carry a bloody expensive cardboard box with me everywhere I go now.

A successful and stress-free way to quit smoking? Absolutely.

Is the Aussie government behind it, because tax is nowhere near as important as peoples' health? Absolutely not. Way too much revenue to be lost. Disgraceful, really.

A summary of a UK Government paper published in 2015

Last edited:
In the early 1990s I used to be a Rothman's rep. Non smoker, they employed a lot of non smokers, to make a point I expect. Everyone got a 10-pack carton of Winnie Red 25s every week to use as a sales promotion, hand out, smoke yourself. It was widely acknowledged that it cost the company only about $15 a week per staff member to do so.

Every week I would rock up to the Kingaroy Hotel Motel on my country route. They got to know the car at the drive through. I'd arrive, wave a carton of Winnies out of the window and a bottle of Smirnoff would come back in.

Equivalent value.

Nowadays: Winnies per PACK $35.20. Smirnoff $38.90.

Figure.

Edit: back then a shipping carton of 30 "inners" of 10-packs was worth about a grand. I always used to have a couple of dozen sitting in my spare room at home, being a country run, to supply urgent orders.

I just calculated that nowadays that carton would be worth nearly 11 grand. Two of them would buy a new car. The amount of stock I used to keep at home would buy a house in a lot of country areas today. Fecking frightening.

Last edited:
Madness. A single pack is the equivalent of a bottle of vodka in the country with one of the highest prices for alcohol!!

Plus, smokers are treated like second class citizens. They should be acclaimed and medal-adorned national heroes for financially supporting the country so diligently. At their personal peril, no less! Heroes.

When I started, it was $4.20 a pack. I was well over a pack-a-day for the last however many years I was smoking. I like to keep that in mind and ask smokers what prices are up to now. As you said, Bribie, the price increases frighteningly rapidly.

I, in turn, apply this to how much I have saved, and feel SO much better about investing in my brewery!

Guess who bought a glycol chiller today?!?

:)

It's such a common story amongst vapers. "I smoked for x years, vaping helped me quit and now I have been smoke free for x years and vape occasionally and feel 10000000x better for it, physically, emotionally and financially."

The fact the government is slow slow to react is just beyond a joke. Here in WA vaping products are pretty much completely banned, at least from local sale. Apparently the hardware is considered a 'toy that mimics smoking" or some rubbish which is not permitted by the state health department. What a joke.

A state that is more than willing to allow people to smoke themselves to death with cigarettes, but not willing to allow a safer option to reduce harm. In my mind this is completely unethical nanny state madness.

In my opinion they should ban cigarettes and regulate vaping as a replacement. These are the sort of industries our economy needs to create jobs. Too bad politicians forgot how to lead, too busy sucking from the teat of big business.

I thought WA was one of the more 'progressive' states. Obviously not.

QLD has made even owning liquid nicotine to be illegal, akin to mild drug possession ( I doubt that has ever been prosecuted, though), let alone giving it away or selling it. In NSW, you can import it for 'personal use'. It's so absurd as to be truly frightening in its' menacing draconian tax-protecting dogma.

I bought cigarettes containing nicotine over the counter at aged 16. That was after most of the 4000 odd chemicals were added to make cigarettes even more addictive than what basic nicotine is. Nicotine is conceivably about as bad for you as caffeine, depending on the intake levels.

These multinationals purposefully made an addictive substance far more deadly whilst sponsoring the cricket, and I'm a criminal if I vape Blueberry Waffle flavoured purely-steeped nicotine from tobacco leaves whilst drinking a VB on the Carlton United Brewery tour at Yatala..

Actually, that really should be a criminal act. My mistake.

:barf:

Disclaimer: Those laws may have changed in the last 12-18 months, but I doubt it.

haha, forgiven
Now, one reason that cigarette companies have to add more nicotine to the tobacco is because of the following:

As a Rothman's rep, as part of the induction course I toured the Bundamba QLD tobacco processing plant which closed down in 2012. So I've seen this with my own eyes and it's spectacular. They would take tobacco leaves .. and still do wherever tobacco is processed nowadays by the megasmoke companies. These leaves are placed in a chamber and flooded with something similar to dry cleaning fluid, under pressure. When the leaves are saturated the pressure is suddenly released, the liquid turns instantly to gas and the leaves puff up like rice krispies or those prawn chips you buy by the bag at the noodle shops. Whoosh. Amazing to see.

The gas and fluid are then drawn off and re-condensed for treating the next batch. This "fluffed up" material is what's in your fags. Obviously when this stuff is shredded and rolled into a smoke stick you are getting a fraction of the tobacco you would in an old school smoke like a Camel or Lucky Strike. So with less product they need to add nicotine.

The process has made them billions over the years.

Cig free for a while now (two years soon) and making my own delicious juice :)
Excises, taxes, smell, chores, "necessities" - you can all go to hell, where you belong.

One of the best "Yes Prime Minister" episodes was "The Smoke Screen". Good cigarette smoking citizens laying down their lives to save the health department and department for the aging, millions each year. It's so shallow that our government keeps telling us how bad smoking is for us ( so why not just ban it?), but the tax and excise revenue stream is just so addictive.

Bastards!

These leaves are placed in a chamber and flooded with something similar to dry cleaning fluid..

I find that to be astounding. Cheers, Bribie. No doubt that's where a fair few of the 4000 extra chemicals come from!

How horrific that is allowed to happen in a complete Nanny state like Australia, where companies can't sell coffee that's too hot, nor proper cords on a new set of blinds!

When I picked out the Nicotine to use for my juice, I made sure that I paid extra for pure tobacco plant-steeped Nic from a reputable American supplier and not the cheaper Chinese chemical Nic. I obviously wanted my safety to be paramount.

I find it strange that the government didn't ever feel the same way about my smoking safety, despite being considered so stupid by them that I now have to reapply for the same work safety licenses that I've held for two consecutive decades with no incident ever. And of course, prove myself to much younger guys who have never actually done the job and are actually quite wrong about it. To be insulted in this manner, I of course have to drive along roads with signs telling me what to do every 20 meters or so.

Case in point: The NSW government TODAY passed a law enabling public vapers to now be able to be fined $330.

There is no second hand 'smoke' with vaping. No fire danger. No litter. The only possible danger is that someone else might not like the smell of Blueberry waffles.

That, and of course: the vaper in question doesn't buy cigarettes any more..

Hence the fine. The Gov and Pharma are well on it together. No Gov likes lost revenue and big corps certainly don't like losses.[/QUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure, MJ.

I heard it on a news break on the radio walking past. I think it brings it in line with cigarette smoking in public (beaches, national parks, etc.).

I'm not sure what the actual cigarette smoking laws are, though. It hasn't been an issue for me for years.

I vape - I only started a few months ago to stop the ciggies after a brutal year last year emotionally. Loads of deaths in the family etc. When I started up after a long break. I smoked from 16 to 30 and had stopped then.

I now vape using a beginner Innokin kit, and I am not in to it as a hobby as many dedicated vapers seem to be (sound familiar?!?!). It was easy to transition and I quite enjoy it. My non-smoking wife even picked up a vape, no nicotine of course, and she enjoys it now as well.

Back