Vacuum Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dug

Reaction score
I had an idea the other night as I was feeding my 2 month old at 3am.

Would the beer filter that Ross sells on craft brewer be able to be hooked up to a vacuum pump? I was thinking that the vacuum could connect onto the gas line of the keg. So the beer would go from brew barrel through the filter and into the keg No need to have the beer in another keg to be forced out with CO2, or take ages gravity feeding through the filter.

The vacuum pump I would be using is modified fridge compressor that I use for vacumm bagging fiberglass/carbon fibre RC stuff. Can't remeber the flow rate but it pulls a vacuum of about 11inches of mercury.

Would the beer filter that Ross sells on craft brewer be able to be hooked up to a vacuum pump? I was thinking that the vacuum could connect onto the gas line of the keg. So the beer would go from brew barrel through the filter and into the keg No need to have the beer in another keg to be forced out with CO2, or take ages gravity feeding through the filter.

The vacuum pump I would be using is modified fridge compressor that I use for vacumm bagging fiberglass/carbon fibre RC stuff. Can't remeber the flow rate but it pulls a vacuum of about 11inches of mercury.

Dug ,

Worth a go if you have the Vacuum pump ,

It only takes one min ,per litre, gravity filtering .(unacompanied whilst watching TV)

Let us know the results .

Pumpy :)

I don't think it will work any faster. Using vacuum to get the fluid moving, is simply a siphon (u create a differential pressure and the weight of atmosphere on the top of the liquid pushes it down).

I.e if you pull a full vacuum you will have one atmosphere of 'energy' pushing your liquid through. Also once the fuild starts flowing, it will only be moving under the influence of gravity, assuming you have a sealed system.

I don't think you'll see any benefit by trying 'pull it through' with vacuum. Unless you factor in the benefit of filling into a keg that has been purged of oxygen (cos you pulled a vacuum on it to to start the process)

BTW, i work for an industrial vacuum company and designing vacuum system is my bread and butter.

Dug, there is a good chance that you could collapse the keg. I know those old frig pumps - they can pull a very strong vacuum like 15" mercury - we used them on vacuum frames for photo work. Kegs are made as pressure vessels and are not intended to operate in a vacuum situation. Not woth the risk.

Wes

Plus it's not good for the beer itself. You'll take off a little alcohol and strip out those lovely delicate aromas. The beer will also froth like buggery as all the dissolved CO2 comes out of solution.

Plus it's not good for the beer itself. You'll take off a little alcohol and strip out those lovely delicate aromas. The beer will also froth like buggery as all the dissolved CO2 comes out of solution.

Some very good points.

Latest posts

Back