Utilizing Coopers Best Extra Stout Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchDudarko

Reaction score
Hi guys, Going to throw down a stout in a while for winter. I was wondering if it was worth using the yeast from the Coopers stout bottles? Has anyone has any success? Is it just the same yeast as in the Pale Ale bottles? Any help would be great.
Cheers
Mitch :)

Now there's one totally out of left field, Mitch. Is Coopers stout actually bottle conditioned? Adelonians please comment because that's something that has never come on my radar :eek:

I'm sure I saw some coming out of the bottle last time I poured one...

I'm sure I saw some coming out of the bottle last time I poured one...

Yes there is definetly yeast in the bottom of the Stout.

The only question is.... whether it is the same yeast used in the fermentation process and the bottle...
All the cooper's ales say they are bottle fermented on the labels so I am assuming it would be the same yeast!?

If I remember correctly, the yeast used for the stout is the same as for the Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale. Therefore, you're better off getting the yeast out of the Pale Ale bottles as they've been less "beaten up" in the fermentation process and, due to the lower alcohol, have a better viability rate.

Caveat though: I'm not 100% sure if my memory is correct on that but I think it's true. Hopefully someone here can confirm.

Cheers
Simon

If I remember correctly, the yeast used for the stout is the same as for the Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale. Therefore, you're better off getting the yeast out of the Pale Ale bottles as they've been less "beaten up" in the fermentation process and, due to the lower alcohol, have a better viability rate.

Caveat though: I'm not 100% sure if my memory is correct on that but I think it's true. Hopefully someone here can confirm.

Cheers
Simon

Interesting thought about using a less "beaten up" yeast, however, I've heard that additional yeast (of the same strain that's used in primary) is added at the time of bottling, which if true, I believe would leave you with roughly equal viability from the different styles. I've also heard about it being the same yeast strain that is used across the different styles. Unfortunately, I don't have a reference to back either of those points up, so I could be wrong.

Regardless, I have successfully recultured the yeast from just one tallie of Coopers Stout that has gone on to ferment a great tasting mid-strength Coopers Dark Ale clone (it turned out mid-strength due to low efficiency, not low attenuation). I re-used the yeast cake from that to ferment a milk stout, then again for a chocolate porter that was deemed to be "medal-worthy" by a local judge. The first two beers had that recognisable Coopers Stout taste to them (the latter was dominated by other flavours).

In any case, it's certainly possible.

Cheers,
Kris.

[Edit: spelling]

Now there's one totally out of left field, Mitch. Is Coopers stout actually bottle conditioned? Adelonians please comment because that's something that has never come on my radar :eek:

Yes, but it's "Adelaideans".

And yes, you can culture the yeast from any of coopers bottle-conditioned ales (pale, sparkling, mild, dark, stout) but the reason it's best to choose the pale is because it's both a) lower alcohol so the yeast stays healthier longer and B) the fastest turnover beer in the stable. So, you're more likely to have a healthier and easier to propagate yeast.

Also, the colour of the stout makes it possible less suitable.

I'll also second that all the ales are fermented with the same yeast, and all of the ales are reseeded at bottling.

Thirdly, if you can get fresh Mild ale, I'd say that's the best to propagate from... though we're now splitting hairs!

Sinked a 6-pack of pales left here Christmas Day for the yeast, don't get me wrong I would normally drink CPA but find the real treasure lies at the bottom of the bottle. any whoo getting back on track......

I made a starter using 100g LDME and a 1lt boiled water and cooled over night, added the yeast fresh from the bottles next morning. Noticed it was viably growing, but slow to start so I fed it some yeast nutrient and it went off its dial. So much so I pitched it the next morning, the little munchkin drop the gravity from 1.066 to 1.020 in 2 days. nice and healthy buggers when fed.

Stronger higher alcohol beers like this particular stout don't generally propagate too well.
You are better off getting the yeast from the pale, same yeast and same good performance but with better results.

If you want to get the healthiest yeast to reculture, maybe the Mild is the go. Less alcohol than the Pale.

And yes, you can culture the yeast from any of coopers bottle-conditioned ales (pale, sparkling, mild, dark, stout) but the reason it's best to choose the pale is because it's both a) lower alcohol so the yeast stays healthier longer and B) the fastest turnover beer in the stable. So, you're more likely to have a healthier and easier to propagate yeast.

Good point about the faster turnover.

Cheers,
Kris.

Latest posts

Back