Using welding regulator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonenose

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a welding regulator for CO2? Can get hold of one but not sure if this is a good idea or not. Have not yet seen it so not sure of pressure range etc. Any ideas?

If the reg was for Co2 or oxygen it should be fine. Graduations on the low pressure side should be similar to what we use for beer.

The regulator part is the same, though the hole at the outlet is smaller to allow the output gauge to indicate "flow" rather than pressure. It would probably work just fine even with this smaller aperture, but you would have to figure out the pressure or replace the output gauge.

I used one several year ago with no problems,I have also seen a few brewers use acetalene regs as lpg regs.

I'd have thought the cost of making adapters to use acetylene regs for LPG would be prohibitive - never mind the fact LPG regs are a lot cheaper than gas regs (as they have to deal with far lower input pressure for a start.)

I was under the impression that unless the regulator was designed for CO2 then it shouldn't be used for it, aside from the other issues with not being able to dial in pressure accurately. I'm not aware of any welders who use CO2 for welding, so my answer would be no, get a proper CO2 regulator.

I have an oxygen regulator that I use with my O2 tank at yeast pitching time but I wouldn't use it with CO2, partly because it's not designed for it and partly because the pressure gauge graduations are nowhere near low enough for it to be of any use at all in dialling in carbonation pressure for a keg.

Regs are regs generally, Keg Kings reg is 'CO2, Oxygen, Argon and Nitrogen' with a stem and nut change.

Regs are regs generally, Keg Kings reg is 'CO2, Oxygen, Argon and Nitrogen' with a stem and nut change.
Be careful with this, what's suitable for one thing is not necessarily suitable for others. The purpose behind the different nut types is to prevent improper regulators being used on cylinders. For instance, alloys containing copper or silver can cause an explosion when using acetylene. If oil is used in an oxygen regulator you can get a similar result. In the case of the Keg King, it's likely it's a reg that's designed for oxygen and can be used for CO2, Ar and N. I strongly suggest that unless the seller specifies the suitable gasses, do not assume it's suitable for your application.
To OP, if the regulator is design for CO2 then it's ok to use for brewing provided the valve connection fits.

Last edited:
I tried to write something similar but when I try and quote, I get aw snap error messages without fail. CO2 MIG yes.

CO2 can be used with a MIG welder when welding mild steel.

i've done so for years.. stuff paying rent on argon bottle for welding once every couple months...

I have a ******* twin reg for my keezer.. the reg attached to the bottle is a Keg king multi gas and the second reg is my old CIG argon reg. works a treat. My current "welding" reg is a $39 dorado co2 beer reg that never held pressure, always crept. seems to be ok for welding purposes

CO2 can be used for MIG and is a heck of a lot cheaper than 5/2 mix, but the structural strength is less, it's a little more difficult, and the welds aren't quite as pretty. I use gasless for whacking up shelves and stuff and ShieldGas for the important stuff (as I'm not a pro.)

The regulator part is the same in all the regulators. If I recall correctly, it is called the "Bernoulli Principle" that allows a pressure gauge through a (preferably a little long) orifice to give a flow rate - the same principle is used in carburettor jets.

The other thing is fittings. Just like fuel gas fittings are left hand thread so they don't get connected up to water or air lines, there are different threads for different gas styles and unless you have a metal lathe and some serious skills it can get expensive.

Lastly, as the partial pressure effect of LPG is quite low, their regulators are usually not built to a standard that is safe with anything else (except maybe CO2, but they are useless for that.)

Back