Using Star San

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwisteveo

Reaction score
sterilizing my bottles using star san and am wondering cause its a no rinse santizer and my bottles still have heaps of foam/bubbles inside, will it affect the flavour of my beer at all

I believe the standard response to this question is "don't fear the foam!".

I have been told not to get TEH FEAR of the foam, but unfortunately, I still have foam fear.

I work around it, dont rinse, and a good dry out gets rid of most of it, I'll fill my kegs and bottles regardless with my bounty, filling right through that foamy well of mystery, all the time looking at the foam thinking... does this affect the taste? should I fear this?

while the ancient words float through my head like a whisper on the breeze...

dont fear the foam....

... dont fear the foam....

I don't know if drinking a glass of it is tasteless, but assumming you drained the bottle for a short while and there is just foam left then yes, it's tasteless. And something to consider is that as your beer goes into the bottle, the foam will come out.

I don't know if drinking a glass of it is tasteless, but assumming you drained the bottle for a short while and there is just foam left then yes, it's tasteless. And something to consider is that as your beer goes into the bottle, the foam will come out.
I can state from first-hand (accidental) experience, that diluted Star San is NOT tasteless.

And hopefully, drinking it has no long term effects :beerbang:

I drink a solution of Phosphoric Acid and Dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid for breakfast, ya wimps. :chug:

Note: They suggest using finings if you drink it neat.
INGESTION: If conscious, give several glasses of milk, water, egg whites or gelatin solution. Get
medical attention immediately. DO NOT induce vomiting.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/msds/starsan.pdf

So long as you mix it properly it would be so heavily diluted as to be irrelevant, definitely don't fear the foam, it's the same acid as coca cola and probably tastes about the same.

dont fear the foam...

smoking doesn't give you cancer, my dad smoke for 100 years and died of old age...

We have enough chemicals in out lives without adding extra. One day them may find one of the chemicals in it causes cancer. I know beer is poison, but I enjoy it.

QldKev

SPECIAL PROTECTION INFORMATION
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: Atmospheric levels should be maintained below the exposure limits
Listed in Hazardous Ingredients by using engineering controls. If not feasible,
Use approved full face piece air-purifying respirator.
VENTILATION SYSTEM: Provide general and/or local exhaust ventilation to maintain airborne
levels below the exposure limits in Hazardous Ingredients. Refer to “Industrial
Ventilation” by ACGIH for a manual of recommended practices.
SKIN PROTECTION: If skin or contamination of clothing is likely, protective clothing should be worn.
EYE PROTECTION: Chemical goggles are required.
PROTECTIVE GLOVES: Wear chemical resistant gloves.

wonder how of us follow the protection instructions..but i bet thats for bigger lots the we use :beerbang:

Phosphoric Acid

Phosphoric acid is an ingredient which contributes to the tangy taste of "cola type" soft drinks, just as the citric acid found in lemons and oranges enhances the flavour of lemonade and orange juice. Phosphoric acid contains the mineral phosphorus, an essential nutrient in the diet which is present in every cell of the body. In addition to contributing to the growth and maintenance of bones and teeth, phosphorus is necessary for the body to use other nutrients more effectively, particularly in the conversion of proteins, carbohydrates and fats to energy. Nearly all foods contain phosphorus. milk products, meats, and grains provide most of the phosphorus we consume in our diet.

I use disposable gloves, I have a womans hands.

It's not just phosphoric, it also has 15% of that other acid which I can't spell.

Dodecylbenzenesulfonic Acid (CH3(CH2)11C6H4SO3H ) is the largest-volume synthetic anionic surfactant having straight chain for biodegradable environmental friendliness. It is mainly used to produce household detergents including laundry powders, laundry liquids, dishwashing liquids and other household cleaners as well as in numerous industrial applications like as a coupling agent and as an emulsifier for agricultural herbicides and in emulsion polymerization.

Latest posts

Back