Using Smoked Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwisteveo

Reaction score
is it possible to make a rauchbier doing an extract brew using smoked malt,can i just throw in the smoked malt with my other spec grains and steep for 45mins to an hour,kinda a half arsed biab,mini mash?? my stove can only handle a 7L boil for my normal extract brews will it work?

is it possible to make a rauchbier doing an extract brew using smoked malt,can i just throw in the smoked malt with my other spec grains and steep for 45mins to an hour,kinda a half arsed biab,mini mash?? my stove can only handle a 7L boil for my normal extract brews will it work?

Smoke Malt Needs to be Mashed, but thats easy, just Bring up your water to 67 degrees (your aiming for 65 but the cold malt will knock the temp of the water back a bit) and dump the malt into your bag lined pot and steep for an hour, check temp after 30-45 mins and if the temps dropped below say 62 then id turn the heat on medium and stir constantly while the heat is on. bring it up to 65 ish and wait till the hour is done, won't hurt to go bit longer just to make sure. I usually go between hour and hour and a half depending how low my mash temp is.

If you don't do this you could still steep but you may not get all the starch converted into sugar, so less alcohol :angry: and starch is hasy.

If you can only do 7 litres that'll be about enough to mash a 1kg of smoked malt (I put 1.3 kg in a smoked porter and it wasn't very smoky, you may need more) and some spec malts, then pull the bag, boil your hops and then add your tins of Goo with about 15 minutes of boiling to go.

But bigger pot will make your life easier, blokes buy them from Big W for about $20 Sometimes.

I think you can Order Weyermaan smoked malt on the net if you just want a can of smoked goo.

Or you could just chuck in a couple of lapsang souchong teabags ;)

Go easy on the smoked malt. Unless you want bacon soup beer, 10-20% is heaps.

Go easy on the smoked malt. Unless you want bacon soup beer, 10-20% is heaps.

shit i'm thinking of using 1kg of Bestmalz(german) smoked with 3-4 other varing amounts of spec grains for a 20L batch (i really love the Schlenkerla Urbock it's like drinking little piggys and i want one) :unsure:

shit i'm thinking of using 1kg of Bestmalz(german) smoked with 3-4 other varing amounts of spec grains for a 20L batch (i really love the Schlenkerla Urbock it's like drinking little piggys and i want one) :unsure:

I did a 100% smoked malt once. Haven't done it again.

1kg in 20L will be smoky, but not too overkill.

Latest posts

Back