Using Left Over Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JestersDarts

I (heart) Darts
Reaction score
G'Day Brewers -

I have a bunch of leftover hops, and a free day coming up, so I am looking for a recipe that can hopefully use them all up. I am not very good at recipe formulation, so was hoping on some suggestions..
a stout?
some sort of IPA?

I can brew up to around 45L batches, but any size would suffice.

The hops I have are as follows:

40g Pacific Gem 17.8%AA Dried Flowers
30g Styrian Goldings NZ 4.4%AA Dried Flowers
40g Amarillo 8.2%AA pellets
70g East Kent Goldings 6.5%AA pellets
40g POR 9%AA pellets
100g homegrown POR unknown%AA dried flowers
80g Cascade 8%AA pellets

any pointers would be appreciated!

Pacific Gem, EKG & Styrian for an IPA

Cascade & Amarillo for an APA

POR? No idea, im not a fan personally.

Sounds like a good plan. :icon_cheers:

Maybe a simple Aussie Ale with POR bittering to have a beer mates that rock up that think Crown Lager is the greatest drink? :drinks:

I recently did a "clean out the hops" brew with a stack of NZ hops. 23L length.

Try doing a single malt plus sugaz or maize to make a strong 6% ABV lager-coloured beer, no spec malts.

Some of the Pacific Gem for bittering - maybe only 10g to encourage break formation.

Throw in ALL the Styrian, Amarillo and Cascade at 10 minutes and ferment with US-05 or Wy 1056

Looks like a lager, tastes like yo bitch, yall :icon_drool2:

kiwi_gold__Large_.JPG

For another brew, POR and EKG all the way.

Surely have a crack at an IIPA mate for the SA highly hopped mini swap!

Surely have a crack at an IIPA mate for the SA highly hopped mini swap!

ooh is this part of the autumn case swap?

I like the idea of the single malt ale, bittered with the Pacific Gem and the remainder at 10 minutes..
I no chill, so maybe I'll make this addition at flameout?
to Starting Gravity 1060,
23Litres?

I no chill and added at 10 mins, a surprising smooth bitterness - drinking one now :icon_drunk:

Edit: 23 litres

I have only used POR for bitterness so far, leftovers from a coopers clone.
Plus i got some fresh flowers leftover from my POR plant - so theyre going to be used!

I no chill and added at 10 mins, a surprising smooth bitterness - drinking one now :icon_drunk:

Edit: 23 litres

Great - thats along the lines i was thinking, one hop bomb to clean them all up.
I'm not sure on sugar additions - do I need to make it that strong for balance? or will just a single malt do the trick?

I'd forgotten about the insanely over the top imperial something or other mini case swap. I'm going to have to brew for that once I get more grain.

Woah missed that one... I may have to give it a crack.
with a bit more thought to the recipe...

from some of the talk on that thread, I still do not have enough hops!

This issue annoys me...

I brew in 22L batches usually a few months apart. Because of this I always have 10 - 20 g's of left over hops that I end up throwing out because I dont want to use hops that old.

I hate waste - especially expensive waste like hops.

Good luck using them up!

go 100% up to about 1.070. Mash at 65, put all the hops in at 10min, ferment with US05.

This issue annoys me...

I brew in 22L batches usually a few months apart. Because of this I always have 10 - 20 g's of left over hops that I end up throwing out because I dont want to use hops that old.

Good luck using them up!

Hops that old? a few months? you serious? I'm still on a big bag of hops I bought 2 years ago and theyre tasting fine... just keep them sealed in the freezer.

This issue annoys me...

Good luck using them up!

Chuck 'em in the freezer. I have an empty Huggies baby wipes packet (3 kids, we go through a pack a week), that is sealed in the freezer with my hop packets which are then in sealer bags.

This post reminded me to go take a stocktake. I reckon I'll have at least 7 varieties in there, with varying amounts.

As to the OP - leave POR (I'm not a fan anyway) - it tends to clash with other hops. Do an APA/AIPA, a little of your smoothest bittering hop at the start and whack a truckload of whatever is left at 10 minutes. Base malt of Perle, Pilsner or something along that line. APA/AIPA are the easiest beer to make, because they generally will tolerate no spec malts (cheap and easy) and so long as you are generous with your flavour hops, they'll always be pungent with aroma and flavour.

Goomba

Chuck 'em in the freezer. I have an empty Huggies baby wipes packet (3 kids, we go through a pack a week), that is sealed in the freezer with my hop packets which are then in sealer bags.

This post reminded me to go take a stocktake. I reckon I'll have at least 7 varieties in there, with varying amounts.

As to the OP - leave POR (I'm not a fan anyway) - it tends to clash with other hops. Do an APA/AIPA, a little of your smoothest bittering hop at the start and whack a truckload of whatever is left at 10 minutes. Base malt of Perle, Pilsner or something along that line. APA/AIPA are the easiest beer to make, because they generally will tolerate no spec malts (cheap and easy) and so long as you are generous with your flavour hops, they'll always be pungent with aroma and flavour.

Goomba

Brilliant - Cheers for the info.

I'll ( try to remember to) keep this thread posted on how it went!

-JD

1) You could try a POR beer like coopers sparkling ale and a big aroma addition with the flowers? Or post them to Tony who likes them.

2) [obviously] use up all the amarillo and cascade in an APA

3) pacific gem bittering and EKG flavouring in a big porter or stout?

I get this all the time, with left overs, takes a bit of creative thought and experimentation and (sometimes) buying fresh batches of the same hop.

Hope this helps.

Back