Please critique my porter recipe...............

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeast

w1728 - Scottish Ale

Clean. Loves big beers, works very well when fermented at 15*c Works down to 13*c

Perfect yeast for Porter

Its my all time favourite. Does everything from RIS to Milds
I love the yeast but in my experience it really needs time to drop right out as it's unpleasant when there's any still in suspension. Not that there's anything wrong with time and I generally prefer yeast out of suspension in all beers but for some reason I find wy scot beers really need to be super clear.

My liquid yeasts often spend the weekend in a hot central QLD warehouse before making it to my door, and can start them fine (including old yeasts).

I think you need to make this porter. Change future recipes, but don't change this one 18 times before you've made it.

as far as dry yeasts go - I really enjoyed one of the new(ish) mangrove jacks called M79 Burton Union in my porter. It was a real treat. estery, dropped clear. It's been renamed Liberty Bell.

Reman said:
S04 is a well known staller, it stalled in my porter at 1.020.

I'm not sure I particularly like the BJCP guidelines for traditional English beers, I've had a few English Porters and medium-light body just doesn't match.

I'd call Porter the hot chocolate of beer, luscious and chocolatey. I don't think a floral hop flavour is out of place as it gives it a "sweetness".

For the record my porter is 84% MO, 10% Brown and 6% chocolate, with EKG and Fuggles.

My next porter will attempt a historical bent using 95% Amber and 5% Chocolate, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
I had exactly the same last year with a porter I brewed, stalled at 1020. Still a nice drop, just a tad sweeter and heavier than planned.

mb-squared said:
I brew a porter from time to time. My latest attempt was "brown bag porter" (recipe: http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BrownBagBrownPorter) and it came out really nice. silky smooth. Your Munich and golden syrup additions are a bit unusual for the style I think and the lack of brown malt is unusual too. your hops look fine to me.

the biggest thing I've found with porters is to keep the Ph up in the 5.5 range. If you don't get enough carbonate into the mash your Ph is likely to get down too low and the beer ends up tasting thin and a bit sour. I've found that I really have to keep on top of the ph during the sparge too as it tends to dip a bit low towards the end of the sparge and can ruin the first runnings which are spot on. If you typically add acid to your sparge water, you may want to go easy for this style.
I really like the look of the brown bag porter recipe. I like the fact that it is quite simple and obviously it's a proven winner. did you notice that site and a couple of others list the FG as 1022? Surely that must be a typo?

Back