Using Hydrogen Peroxide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdavis

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a brewnoob so please forgive my ignorance, but I have searched the forums and Googled the life out of my keyboard but still haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I understand from previous conversations that Hydrogen Peroxide is the Mutt's Nuts, but to all Hydrogen Peroxide users out there, what concentrations/dilutions do you use for sanitising your gear?

I have a new 200ml bottle of HP from the pharmacy at a dilution of 3% ($3.50).

Is this the right stuff to be using?, if so, what proportions do I need to add to say, 1 litre, for a no rinse sanitiser, both for spraying tools and swilling in the fermenter?

All help appreciated!

:)

Hello all,

I am a brewnoob so please forgive my ignorance, but I have searched the forums and Googled the life out of my keyboard but still haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I understand from previous conversations that Hydrogen Peroxide is the Mutt's Nuts, but to all Hydrogen Peroxide users out there, what concentrations/dilutions do you use for sanitising your gear?

I have a new 200ml bottle of HP from the pharmacy at a dilution of 3% ($3.50).

Is this the right stuff to be using?, if so, what proportions do I need to add to say, 1 litre, for a no rinse sanitiser, both for spraying tools and swilling in the fermenter?

All help appreciated!

:)

Gday Carlos
I'm currently using Morgans Sanitize- ingredients- Hydrgoen Peroxide(2.95%)silver ions,stabilizer and distilled water. Using it as a no rinse and directions say to use 30ml to one litre of water. If you use Distilled water from the supermarket it will keep longer and also i keep mine in a squirty bottle Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gday

I use brewshield sanitiser which is 3% hydrogen peroxide.
The instructions on the bottle say to use 30ml per litre of water.

I make it up in 500ml lots in a $2 spray bottle, and liberally spray everything that comes in contact with the brew.

hope this helps

cheers
Moray

Carlos have you read this Linky Some good info there mate

Gday

I use brewshield sanitiser which is 3% hydrogen peroxide.
The instructions on the bottle say to use 30ml per litre of water.

I make it up in 500ml lots in a $2 spray bottle, and liberally spray everything that comes in contact with the brew.

hope this helps

cheers
Moray

That's stuff's great but gone up to $6.80 at my LHBS. I use a sinkfull (I scratched a line to the 1 bottle quantity) each brew and or bottling day and it significantly jacks up the cost of brewing. Peroxide information please.

G'day gang!

Thanks for the info, I am a bit clearer now on how much use.

I think that 30ml per litre is a good concentration, and should do me fine for my spray bottle!

Just for info for those who have found it a little pricey, I found it for about $3.50 in the Coles Pharmacy area, and it says my bottle has stabiliser in it too, so I assume that means it is as good as any other kind of HP you can get.. not sure about the silver ions though!

Thanks again all!

CTG

wouldnt iodophor work out cheaper , last time i got some it weas about $7 for 250ml , seeing you only need 1ml per litre that makes it quite cheap compared to peroxide where you need to use 30 times the concentration

wouldnt iodophor work out cheaper , last time i got some it weas about $7 for 250ml , seeing you only need 1ml per litre that makes it quite cheap compared to peroxide where you need to use 30 times the concentration

I use 50%, it's less than 20 bucks for a litre and lasts forever. Called OxyPlus from hydroponics stores.

There is also a water/bleach/vinegar solution (can't remember the proportions) you can make up real cheap that can be used as a no-rinse sanitiser. The vinegar drops the ph of the water so that the bleach works better.

Oh, or Iodophor, which also works out cheap in the long run.

gary

Just use 30ml per 1l...should last about a week. It is best kept in the fridge as it will help prolong its life...

Silver Ions also have an effect on bacteria...without being harmfull to humans in low doses...It is an additive that can increase the effectivness of peroxide

As for the bleach/peroxide/idophore debate..

They all do the same thing....it just comes down to personal prefference...

Peroxiacetic acid: Hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid. Dilution of 1:1000 of the stock I use is effective for weeks to months at room temp. I get it for free but I'm sure there are people around who sell the stuff: Oxonia active, Proxitane, Vortexx...

MFS.

Peroxiacetic acid: Hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid. Dilution of 1:1000 of the stock I use is effective for weeks to months at room temp. I get it for free but I'm sure there are people around who sell the stuff: Oxonia active, Proxitane, Vortexx...

MFS.
I have tried peroxiacetic acid (proxitane) but prefer Iodophor or star san, with peroxiacetic you have to have full contact with the vessel as it does not seem to have any surfactants in it so a 60l fermenter needs to be full to maintain effective contact (unless you spray or pump it around like a CIP system). With the other 2 you only need enough to swirl around the fermenter and get all surfaces wet for it to work. I use the peroxi mainly in my erlenmeyer flasks when I am growing yeast starters as its no drama to fill a 2 or 3l erlenmeyer.

Proxitane also burns like a ba$tard if you get it on your skin undiluted but at the correct dilution "appears" more benign than iodophor or star san at working dilution. As with all fun chemicals in the brewhouse proper safety precautions such as safety specs and gloves are the order of the day! As a side note: 2% caustic solution WILL eat through latex gloves, don't ask me how I know :eek:

For hydrogen peroxide, check different pharmacies. I found a 400ml bottle of 6%, cannot remember how much I paid, but it was about $10.

ausdb: what you say is true. I am not even sure whether it's ok to put a surfactant into it as most are alkaline and might raise the pH outside its effective range.
I just find the thought that it decays to H2O, O2 and acetic acid reassuring. And I get it for free.

MFS.

Well thanks for all the advice here guys,

I knew I was probably stirring up a hornet's nest when I mentioned Sanitisers!

I think I will probably go with a vinegar/bleach solution for general sanitation (fermenter/kit/bottles) ensuring it's air dried before use

(30ml Bleach, 30ml White Vinegar, 20l water)

and I think I will have a Hydrogen Peroxide spray bottle handy to squirt anything down with on brew day

(30ml > 1 litre water)

I may look into Iodophor if things don't go well, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks all!

CTG

*pulls up another old topic*

does anyone know what the stabilizers are in the H2O2? I was looking at the H2O2 bottle in the chemist, and just now reading this topic, makes me curious what this stabilizer is?

does anyone know what the stabilizers are in the H2O2? I was looking at the H2O2 bottle in the chemist, and just now reading this topic, makes me curious what this stabilizer is?

My Hydrogen Peroxide based sanitiser is called Huwasan and has Silver Ions as it's stabilizer which apparently gives it a far better shelf life :)
Cheers
Doug

I seen this one in the supermarket and it mentions a stabiliser on the label but doesnt actually say what it is. It's a 3% job and a few bucks cheaper than the HBS. I seen one at the chemist but it was around the same price as HBS.

so... the stabilizer probably wont effect my beer? im guessing by this thread its okay to just grab some H2O2 from the pharmacy?

Latest posts

Back