Hydrogen Peroxide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy benno

Reaction score
Hi all, i was just wondering dose anyone use house hold Hydrogen peroxide from the supermarket to sanitize and if so what rate do you dilute at, my mate and i use 15ml hydro to 500ml water. :)

you would need to know what other agents are in the stuff. if there is anything that stays in there you shouldn't use it.

my sanitizer says it's 3% and to dilute 30ml per litre. you'll need to do some math if yours is a different.

30 ml/l for 3%, 15ml/l for 6%.
Not my sanatiser of choice, but no problems using the supermarket stuff. Just make sure its fresh, peroxide breaks down if you look at it wrong.
How are you meant to look at it lol? :huh:

I only use the Homebrand unscented bleach from Wollies.
It says "1 cupful for 5 litre for a weak solution".
After I have cleaned my fermenter and cube with hot water and detergents. rinsed and sanitised and rinsed.
I tend to use 2 cupfuls Bleach for 20 litre.
swish and let it sit around for 10 minutes.
A quick rinse with boiling water prior use and off you go.

I generally only use 2L of this at a time, with 3.2ml bleach, then 2L water, then 3.2ml white vinegar. I use a 5ml medicine syringe from the chemist for the measurements.

Wow, just sterilised two batches of bottles, did two bottling sessions and brewed an English Best Bitter to put back in one of the fermenters and used massive amounts of bleach mix at the rate of about one cup of Woolies bleach to two litres of water :eek: :eek:

Gotta go, just noticed my hands and have to put on some hand cream .....

just bought some hydrogen peroxide from jasol with silver ions for shelf life. 5% & it was 10 ml per litre

on the recomendations of Dougiechap

if you look up jasol its huwa-san tr5 it says its used in breweries

I remember hydrogen peroxide from school days and it was stinky stuff.
I use phosphoric acid diluted down to about 10% in a spray bottle. Wash fermenters out with dish detergent (very small amout), then lots of hot rinse water , then boiling water, then spray with the acid and put lid on till ready for the brew.
I spray all tubes , taps etc with the phosphoric acid prior to bottling/keg filling.
Also after washing out kegs , I add boiling water and some acid , seal keg, give it a good shake, then hook it up to the gas and beer lines and pull the whole lot through. Cleans keg, lines etc
So far so good.
Another plus is that phosphoric acid is a food for yeast so, I reckon my yeast get a head start in the fermenters that have been sprayed with it before the wort is added.
My 2c

I remember hydrogen peroxide from school days and it was stinky stuff.
I use phosphoric acid diluted down to about 10% in a spray bottle. Wash fermenters out with dish detergent (very small amout), then lots of hot rinse water , then boiling water, then spray with the acid and put lid on till ready for the brew.
I spray all tubes , taps etc with the phosphoric acid prior to bottling/keg filling.
Also after washing out kegs , I add boiling water and some acid , seal keg, give it a good shake, then hook it up to the gas and beer lines and pull the whole lot through. Cleans keg, lines etc
So far so good.
Another plus is that phosphoric acid is a food for yeast so, I reckon my yeast get a head start in the fermenters that have been sprayed with it before the wort is added.
My 2c

Peroxide doesnt have a smell.

10% phos acid is overkill. I use 1mL in ~5L with a drop of liquid soap.

Peroxide doesnt have a smell.

10% phos acid is overkill. I use 1mL in ~5L with a drop of liquid soap.

My mistake, I use two cap fulls of the 10% in a 500ml spray bottle.
Shouldnt post late in the evening

I think you maybe referring to hydrochloric acid Mantis. That stuff really stinks and really burns as well.

Hydro Perox is actually used medicinally to fend off infections to cuts and grazes hence the right qualities for home brewing santisation. Love the Hyrdogen Peroxide it's made my bottling prep process so much easier. Spray the insides of your bottles and the rim together with your lids and away you go. Pretty easy!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Spider out

Back