Using Distilled Water For Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But you also need some copper and Magnezium is important to yeast also.

:icon_offtopic:

Good thing that malt has loads of magnesium in it already :)

I've heard copper mentioned before - but never any info to back it up. My understanding is that copper is in many cases harmful to yeast. I know copper is occasionally used in the swimming pool industry to treat and prevent algal / fungal outbreaks.

Noonan mentions in New Brewing Lager "Elevated levels of copper cause yeast mutation and haze formation" and "Levels of copper should be less than 1ppm".

What is the ideal level for copper? How do we go about ensuring there are appropriate levels?

:icon_offtopic:

Good thing that malt has loads of magnesium in it already :)

What is the ideal level for copper? How do we go about ensuring there are appropriate levels?

Malt may have loads of Magnesium but it is still recommended to have 20ppm or so in the water for most brews.

As to Copper I have no idea what the recommended levels are but have read the same info that copper can be toxic but the old days of Copper boilers were good for the beer.

The important point here is that distilled water is not a good choice for brewing with. It lacks any of the minerals and metals that are important for a good ferment. Relying on the malt to add enough is a guess at best. The mash process relies on many of the same minerals and metals for proper reactions.

I had to look up my notes on brewing water. Recommended water for Pilsner is very soft. These notes were taken from Brewing Classic Styles if I remember correctly. My water would never work with out acid addition or dilution, as it is alkaline and the mash pH would be off. The values in my notes are Ca-7, Mg-2, Na-2, So4-5, Cl-5, and Carbonate-15. If I diluted with distilled water to reduce my alkalinity I would have to add Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate to get close. The resulting water may have enough trace elements but I would probably add some yeast nutrient just to be safe.

When working with water I like to start with known values. I have no idea what the result would be if one added just yeast nutrient (dead yeast cells) to distilled water.

But you also need some copper and Magnezium is important to yeast also.

There shouldn't be any shortage of copper since the still column and outlet is made from copper... in fact there may be too much copper!

But think I'll do what you guys said and aim for the Pils Czech profile but with a slightly higher calcium content. Also, will use yeast nutrient to keep the ferment healthy.

Latest posts

Back