Using An Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wot Thirsty Boy sed.

Ignoring the time saving with two 2400Watt elements in bringing things up to temperature more quickly, I like boiling for the first 30minutes really ... very ... vigorously - I tell myself that it helps blow off any DMS precursors and coagulate a protein or two that would otherwise cloudy my beer.

I've got a fair amount of electrical capacity entering my house and I run my two elements off separate 20Amp circuits, so I can still make a cup of tea while I brew without setting the house on fire, etc, etc.

Of course, if you wanted to get an urn and try it without another element, you might just end up with beer that you have to drink, so be careful. Apart from that, if it doesn't work for you, you're only out another element; either an over the side type like I use or some sort of fixed affair such as you can pull out of a kettle or buy from any number of places.

spillsmostofit, what type and where did you get your "hang over the side" immersion element? i'm going to get an urn to try out biab in and think this might be useful down the track.

cheers,
mick.

Shit Reg,

I thought you must have considered and rejected the urn option before you put it up for sale. If you really need it back, just gimme a yell and I'll let you indian sell. Its a luxury for me not a necessity.

Thirsty
Dan,

My attempt at Mash paddle humour Werribee style.
Just stirring shit mate.
Like I said at the time mate, good to see it go to a good home and somebody who helped me jump to AG.
Have fun. But you still owe me a beer when we have a brew day.

Reg

I fill my 30L to capacity so it takes it a while to get from mash-out temp to a rolling boil, probably about 30-45mins. It usually tries to boil over a couple of times and then settles down to a rolling boil.

I love my 40 Liter Crown urn. Probably the best brewing purchase I have made. I fill it to the very top the night before and this provides me with exactly enough water for sparge to collect 30 liters of wort. I bought a new one for $280 which I thought was good value since a sight class alone was around 100 bones to buy. I dont think I would want to boil in mine as I cherish its use as an HLT too much.

Cheers,
JJ

I purchased my Over The Side elements from http://www.tobins.com.au/ . They are branded Grimwood, model 4108B. There are several threads on this site about them as they are quite commonly used. You can walk into G&G and walk back out with one if you prefer.

As much as I like my immersion heater setup for the Production Plant, I think I enjoy my brew days a bit more nowadays when brewing in the Pilot Plant, which has a fixed element - thus emulating an urn. There's less mucking about and that becomes important after a dozen brews or so.

OTS heaters will cost around $100 (give or take). If you've got the money, buy some. Otherwise, I would recommend giving the urn a few brews to prove itself and decide if you actually want/need the extra grunt.

Thanks for that. I've been making a few half batches recently to speed up my brewing education. It sounds like the standard 2.4kW will easily handle 12 litres.

i used a 2.4kW element in a kettle on the weekend for the first time and i was pleasantly suprised. boiled 37L down to 30L over 75 minutes (15% evaporation)
i think if i had much less wort in there i'd have to control the element.

Rob.

I have a solid state relay and a microcontroller that allows me to turn the element on and off over a definable period (1-2seconds usually for me). It's a kludge, but works kinda nicely enough...

I purchased my Over The Side elements from http://www.tobins.com.au/ . They are branded Grimwood, model 4108B. There are several threads on this site about them as they are quite commonly used. You can walk into G&G and walk back out with one if you prefer.

As much as I like my immersion heater setup for the Production Plant, I think I enjoy my brew days a bit more nowadays when brewing in the Pilot Plant, which has a fixed element - thus emulating an urn. There's less mucking about and that becomes important after a dozen brews or so.

OTS heaters will cost around $100 (give or take). If you've got the money, buy some. Otherwise, I would recommend giving the urn a few brews to prove itself and decide if you actually want/need the extra grunt.
Hi there,

I'm getting a 15A socket installed and plan to run a 3600 and a 2400 in a 50L stockpot (on separate circuits). I've had a look at Grimwoods and was thinking that the 1'' BSP HW elements would be the go. Any idea what the best elements are for this purpose? Something like the "3252CG736 3600w 1'' BSP H/W Element" from the Tobins product index looks the goods.

I have a solid state relay and a microcontroller that allows me to turn the element on and off over a definable period (1-2seconds usually for me). It's a kludge, but works kinda nicely enough...

+1 i'm pretty much going to do the same thing, my ssr's arrived in the mail today so will keep u tuned as to the progress.

Cheers Rob.

Cheers mate, i'll definately do a few brews first i was just curious about the where and how much.

Hi there,

I'm getting a 15A socket installed and plan to run a 3600 and a 2400 in a 50L stockpot (on separate circuits). I've had a look at Grimwoods and was thinking that the 1'' BSP HW elements would be the go. Any idea what the best elements are for this purpose? Something like the "3252CG736 3600w 1'' BSP H/W Element" from the Tobins product index looks the goods.

My fixed element came out of a jug and is rated at 1850-ish watts, so anything I might say about the screw-in elements would be supposition. However, 6kW would certainly get the contents of a 50litre vessel up to speed quickly - some might say that's overkill (as they might about my 4.8kW).

There's a bloke in Ringwood (I think) that will make elements to order at competitive prices. Velophile got one or two made by him for his setup. I might give him a nudge to drift by and share his experience...

I picked up an new urn (30L, 2.4kW element) to use as my HLT/kettle, mainly due to space constraints. Did my first AG brew last weekend and it went pretty well. Had about 26L of wort boiling with no troubles and should be able to get another litre or two in next time.

You do have to be a little careful when stirring so the element and thermostat don't get whacked too much though, and there was a bit of gunk on the element when I was finished but I don't think there were any real caramelisation issues.

The urn was a bit pricey at $295, but I figure it's an investment in quality beer and when I do have a bit more space it will make an excellent full-time HLT.

I love my urn. Mum gave it to me thinking i would use it to preserve fruit from the 12+ fruit tress in the backyard.......

Its an old Fowlers Vacola jobby that holds about 25L. I connect it up to a timer and wake up to water ready to dough in. Crush malt the night before so i walk out the backdoor, dump water and malt into esky, stir like a ******* and then have brekky, coffee, scratch etc. Adjust temp to get to boiling for next step. Easy!

I did contemplate using it for a kettle but picked up a 50L DAB keg for $85 and the rest is history.

Might have to use it for its original purpose this summer as turning 10kg of apricots into jam was a pain in the proverbial. :rolleyes:

I have been having a look at a few types of urns, and considering shelling out for a new one to use as a HLT. Many of them claim to have thermostat control (or 'simmerstat' which I understand is a no-no). My question is whether their thermostats and heat setting dials are accurate and easy to control. Some seem to have a single knob with only high, medium and low markings. Ideally I'd like an 30-40L urn with a sightglass also. Are there any brands which seem to be better quality for temperature control? I don't want to buy one of those mashmaster HLT controllers if I can avoid it...

Jomack sound allright. Which ones would you rate?

Hmmmm, very interesting thread. Might have to keep an eye out at the second hand stores for a 20L urn. Though those places are usually church groups so I don't like my chances :). Damn little old ladies and their need for tea. I'm thinking it'd be perfect for my first foray into BIAB.

I have been having a look at a few types of urns, and considering shelling out for a new one to use as a HLT. Many of them claim to have thermostat control (or 'simmerstat' which I understand is a no-no). My question is whether their thermostats and heat setting dials are accurate and easy to control. Some seem to have a single knob with only high, medium and low markings. Ideally I'd like an 30-40L urn with a sightglass also. Are there any brands which seem to be better quality for temperature control? I don't want to buy one of those mashmaster HLT controllers if I can avoid it...

Jomack sound allright. Which ones would you rate?
I have an old langco 20L urn with a simmerstat :eek: and a 40L birko with thermostat neither of them is very accurate. On both units I use a digital thermometer with a remote probe to measure the temperature and just turn the knob to get it to the temp I want. But saying that I don't find the simmerstat any worse than the thermostat for holding a temperature unless the volume of water changes. If you want accurate control you are better off buying a mashmaster hlt controller and just setting the urn to max.

PS my langco urn was a $15 secondhand store pickup with a broken tap and the birko was free with a broken tap!!

I got a brand new 30L 10amp Urn of ebay for $150, just for heating my water, i found the thermostat markings are inaccurate 85C on the knob is actually 75C, so other than that spot on.

Back